<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSM W MacIntosh,MM - Queen`s Own Rifles of Canada

September 30 2011 at 1:30 PM
Hill677 

Can anyone help !! I`m looking for his Written MM Citation.. I just purchased his swagger Stick / Cane..see Photo below..

I have confirm that he did win an MM, it is London Gazette #29854 Pg#12057 9 Dec 1916.
Also confirmed on the LAC`s Medals, Honours and Awards
I just also found out that he was entitled to a Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal as the Sergeant Major (Warrant Officer Class 1) of Queen's Own Rifles of Canada.
He was an Original member of the 19th Battalion..( #55109 Sgt Walter Hugh Victor Mackintosh,MM )
So I will assume He won his MM with them ??
Any Info will be much appreciated !!!!

[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan

MM Citation

September 30 2011, 4:18 PM 

Are you sure that his citation exists? I have read through a lot of the old London Gazettes, and I have never seen an MM citation. Most of the ones I have seen for recognition of action in the field are limited to the higher medals (VC, MC, DCM, sometimes an MSM, etc.) The MMs are usually just a list of soldiers' names and service numbers.

Respond to this message   
Robert Wilson

Citation for MM

September 30 2011, 7:16 PM 

My father who served with the Q.O.R. of C during the 2nd world war received the MM. There was a written citation to go along with it explaining in full why he was awarded the medal, so they do exist. A copy of the Citation should be on his military personnel file.

Respond to this message   
Hill677

Re: Citation for MM

September 30 2011, 7:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
Hill677

October 1 2011, 7:59 AM 

Robert I see you were named after your Father ... Here is a Link to your Fathers MM Citation....http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/gal/cao-aco/doc/D1_WEI-Z_060.pdf

Respond to this message   
robert wilson

October 1 2011, 10:06 AM 

Thanks for taking the time to look up my dad's citation Hill677. I already have a copy of it thanks to one of the helpful gentlemen on this site who looked it up for me some time ago. I guess I didn't make my point clear when I posted. It was questioned as to whether or not Citations were issued along receiving with the MM. My intent was to point out that Citations were issued to those that received the MM and copies would be on the soldiers military file.

Respond to this message   
Hill677

Re: MM Citation

September 30 2011, 7:16 PM 

MM Citations do exist but you will not find them in the London Gazette... I have copies of 75 PPCLI MM Citations..Generally there are written Citation from 1915 to 1917. Some citation you can find in a units War Diaries but very uncommon.. See example

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Mr markosis

Medals

February 12 2018, 9:45 AM 

Don't know if this will reach anybody since it's been a while since this was posted but I have his medals bravery,14/15 star, war medal, victory, and colonial long service

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Medals

February 12 2018, 11:28 AM 

Are awarded and not "Won" like you "win" a game or sports event

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Medals

February 12 2018, 11:39 AM 

Of course, my error

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index