<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Information about WW2 Canadian Soldiers based in Eastbourne

November 23 2011 at 2:24 PM
Tina Foote 

Hi! I wondered if anybody could help me out with some information. My father is 80 years old now and has Alzheimers. But he remembers very vividly, and with hugely fond memories, the Canadian soldiers who manned the anti-aircraft guns at Beachy Head in Eastbourne. It seems they 'adopted' him and let him play on the installations ( no health and safety restrictions in those days!) and he took their washing to his sister. I would very much like to find out more about the Canadians that were there. Are there any accounts or pictures of that time by soldiers? Any information would be gratefully received. I recently found a book about the air battles over Beachy Head and it brought my father such pleasure. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beachy-Head-Angels-20-Eastbourne/dp/0955944406). It also stimulated his memories and so he spoke at great length about the Canadian soldiers.

If you could help, I would be so grateful.

Thank you

Tina Foote

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kevin Lambie

Canadians in Sussex

November 25 2011, 10:22 AM 

You might try this website, the owner has been somewhat active on the Maple Leaf Up board linked above while researching Canadians in W. Sussex. While I believe that excludes Eastbourne, there was probably some overlap with the units involved. She may also know of other similar projects.

http://canadianmemoriesww2.wordpress.com/

Kevin Lambie
http://www.reginarifles.ca

Respond to this message   
Mark W. Tonner

Re: Eastbourne

November 26 2011, 8:49 AM 

Hi Tina;

Either of these should be of help to you:

First Edition (2006):
Canucks by the Sea: The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second Word War,
by Michael Ockenden (187 pp with 75 illustrations, some in colour),
published by Eastbourne Local History Society
ISBN: 9780954764715

Extended Second Edition (2010):
Canucks by the Sea: The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second Word War,
by Michael Ockenden (193 pp. Extended second edition),
published by Eastbourne Local History Society
ISBN: 9780954764746

Cheers

Mark

Respond to this message   
Peggy

Beachy Head

September 1 2012, 10:47 AM 

I am currently researching my father's Regimental history during WW2 and have discovered that he was at Beachy Head as a gunner on a 3.7" gun. He was apart of 1Bty of the 2nd Cdn HAA Regiment. The Regiment had a practice day at Beachy Head on Jan 27th, 1944, according to History of 2nd Canadian Heavy Anti-Aircraft, book written and published 1945 in Soesterburg, Holland.

I found the fellow who typed the above book (Keith West) and according to him, 1 Battery also went to Beachy Head in support of the ADGB (Air Defense of Great Britain). The book does not go into any detail of this last bit of info.

My father passed away 10 years ago which makes finding info challenging.

Hope this helps.
Peg

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com