<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

UNFICYP

February 16 2012 at 3:15 PM
Bill Stevely 

I am returning to Cyprus again in a few weeks and wish to locate a memorial plaque dedicated to the two young Canadian soldiers who were killed in 1974.

I have a photograph of the memorial which is a concrete plinth with blue UN steel helmets mounted on it.

I took the photo but despite many visits to Cyprus and many questions no one seems to be able to direct me to the location.

I was based at Dhekelia when I took the photo but at the time I was doing a parachute course at Pergamos.I really would like to visit the memorial again to pay my respects and would much appreciate any info regarding the location.

After 35 years of searching on and off I am running out of options and really hope someone may remember.

If anyone would like a copy of the photograph I would be happy to forward the same.

Kind Regards

Bill Stevely

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Townend

Have you tried . . .

February 16 2012, 9:47 PM 

the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. They have an office in Ottawa and might be able to assist you.

DT

Respond to this message   
Ed Storey

UN Memorial

February 21 2012, 6:36 AM 

The memorial in which you are talking about is located on the grounds of the Ledra Palace Hotel in Nicosia. The hotel is located within the UN buffer zone and is therefore not accessible to the public.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com