<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Calgary Highlanders Pipe Band

November 3 2016 at 2:38 PM
Dan Martel 

Below is a photograph of The Calgary Highlanders Pipe Band which I've borrowed from a website which purports to be populated by British Army members (but may also include other unfortunates and ne'er-do-wells). Anyways, while admiring the picture two questions came to my mind.

1) Why does a pipe band require three Drum Majors each with a different sash in a different colour, different sporrans and different hose?

2) Why, of the five NCOs in the front rank, do three of them wear their sash in the manner of NCOs with the Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry?

Was the photograph possibly misidentified? If only there was someone who frequents this forum with an affiliation to The Calgary Highlanders who could clear this up. Alas....

Calgary 2008 Parade photo Highlanders2008parade.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan

Re: The Calgary Highlanders Pipe Band

November 3 2016, 5:26 PM 

I have a friend who is a Major in the Cal Highs. I'll ask him.

Dan

Respond to this message   
John Maybin

Re: The Calgary Highlanders Pipe Band

November 3 2016, 7:36 PM 

This band has members from three different Regiments. The Drum Major on the right of the photo is from The Canadian Scottish Regiment Princess Mary's)as are some of the pipers behind him.

Respond to this message   
Dan

The Photo

November 4 2016, 9:11 AM 

It appears that the photo has been taken down.

Respond to this message   
Dan Martel

Photobucket is Down

November 4 2016, 11:29 AM 

It seems that Photobucket is down for maintenance.

Dan.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

I added that photo to Wikipedia

November 8 2016, 3:50 PM 

Photo comes from our regimental archives. I played with the Regimental Pipes and Drums from 1987 to about 1996.

The photo is an official portrait by the Calgary Stampede people, taken before stepping off for the Stampede Parade (several years ago, as it turns out).

Often the regimental pipes and drums would mass with other bands, i.e. Camerons of Winnipeg, Seaforth, Canadian Scottish, etc. That was the case for the year this photo was taken.

Sashes are worn over one shoulder if you are infantry qualified, so I am told, and over the other if you are support trade. May depend on regimental custom also.

This message has been edited by dorosh on Nov 8, 2016 3:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

And incidentally - the Calgary Highlanders do not have a pipe "band"

November 8 2016, 3:53 PM 

The preferred term (among those who participate if no one else) is "Pipes and Drums" - "Band" implies a brass-reed band.

Respond to this message   
Dan

Re: I added that photo to Wikipedia

November 9 2016, 5:28 PM 

Thanks for weighing in on this Michael.

Dan

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com