<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help trying to find a Canadian Soldier

January 25 2017 at 7:18 PM
Steve Guthrie 

Evening all

This was sent to a history professor friend of mine through Facebook. From the photos, 'Herbert' was a gunner that's all I've managed to suss out this evening.

Is there a specific RCA data base available?

Thanks

Steve

Letter follows

My name is Florence,

I am desperate and this is my last hope.

My mother was named Augusta Ryckoort. She lived in Eeklo and worked in Gent during the 2nd World War in Belgium. It was there that she met my biological father.
He was Canadien and stationed in Gent - his name was Herbert. They had a short but beautiful relationship, but it wasn’t meant to be, because he was called to the front.
There ends my father’s story – nothing is known of him since then, but the story didn’t end there for my mother – she was pregnant and was expecting me.
She never heard of Herbert again and – to my regrets - she never wanted to talk mutch about him. It is unknown if he was killed in the war or if he is still alive.
A while later, my mother met another man, Julien, and married him. He raised me as his own child and took care of my other brother and sister. We didn’t have a lot, but we were happy.
Today I am 71 years old and I have been trying to find my biological father for all my life, without results.
It is my greatest wish to find out more about Herbert, my biological father: is he still alive or how and when did he die? Do I have any other (half) brothers or sisters?
The only information I have about him, is his name (Herbert) and a picture.
I send you the picture in attachment.
If you have any information of any leads whatsoever, please contact me.

Sincerely & hopefully yours,

Zoveen possible. Please share it must reach Canada

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John Sliz

3CID

January 26 2017, 7:40 AM 

This search has contacted me via Facebook as well and from the limited research I've done so far I think that he was with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. This is the first that I've heard that he was a gunner. So I think that we should start with the RCA units in the 3rd to see if a Herbert was killed shortly after the liberation of Gent.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Got this same request from three different people

January 26 2017, 8:57 AM 

This woman has apparently been very active in contacting Canadians. I've had three different people pass on her story to me, looking for assistance. The photos show an artilleryman. I've suggested to her contacts that the RCA museum may be able to help.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Good lord she's on the CBC now

January 27 2017, 5:08 PM 

Respond to this message   
Bill A

a thought

January 28 2017, 5:51 AM 

Her "quest" is one of those perennial human interest type stories that resonates with the media.
A cynical thought. Perhaps her biological father just didn't want to return to his Dutch family?

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Good thought

January 28 2017, 7:02 AM 

I had a lot of similar thoughts as to why the mother might not have wanted to talk about it. More darkly, perhaps she was even an unwilling participant. Or perhaps they, as two consenting adults, simply agreed that they wouldn't see each other again for whatever reason - he had a wife back home, etc.

I understand the desire to learn more, but sometimes you have to be careful what it is you are searching for.

Respond to this message   
Bill A

An interesting turn

February 1 2017, 4:42 AM 

Respond to this message   
John Sliz

Sad Story

February 1 2017, 11:49 AM 

Not a happy story. Too bad that the lady waited so long.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Just noticed that myself

February 1 2017, 11:52 AM 

Very interesting.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com