<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Looking for photos-Canadian soldiers at the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC)

February 26 2017 at 7:31 PM
Dayalan S. Rajoo 

Good day!

My name is Dayalan and I am an Advocacy Officer with the High Commission of Canada in Malaysia.

I am currently working on producing a newsletter to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of relations between Canada & Malaysia.

As part of the content, I am putting together information on significant milestones & events that took place over the past 60 years that have Canadian-Malaysian links.

As such, I am looking for some good photographs of Canadian soldiers serving during the peacekeeping mission of the United Nations Operation in the Congo (ONUC) between 1960 and 1964 which I could use in the newsletter. It would be even more amazing if there were photographs of Canadian & Malaysian troops together in the field.

I have already written to Library & Archives & am trying my luck here as well.

I look forward to hearing from someone on this.

Cheers!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jon Skagfeld

ONUC

February 27 2017, 9:02 AM 

Somewhere in my files, I have a picture of a Canadian Signals Corporal describing the massacre at Matadi.

I'll try to find and post it.

In our Reserve Signals unit (8 Signal Regiment) we had an RFTA (Regular Force Training Assistant) named Lawton (Lou) Harris who wore the "Congo" device attached to his campaign ribbon. I distinctly remember chatting with him since he wore TWs which were not on issue to Reserve Sigs.

Jealous ? Yes!

Respond to this message   
Dan Martel

C&E Museum

February 28 2017, 7:00 AM 

Dayalan,

As the Canadian contribution to the ONUC consisted mainly of signals personnel I would suggest you contact the C&E Museum in Kingston. I'm sure they would be happy to assist you.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/contacts.htm

The website provides you with the address, contact numbers and who you should speak with if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Dan.

Respond to this message   
Ed Storey

Canadian and Malaysian

February 28 2017, 6:23 PM 

Here is an image of a Canadian and a Malaysian taken during in 1960 during the UN Congo Mission.

photo UNC60-71-9_ copy_zpsecbabqlh.jpg

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com