<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Photo of Lionel Guy D'Artois from Second World War

June 23 2017 at 2:30 PM
Dan Martel 

[linked image]

I found this photograph and news article quite by accident while searching for something else. D'Artois was a Canadian member of the SOE during the War. Post-war he would command the Canadian SAS company in Rivers. His name is quite well known to anyone who has researched Canadian Army airborne history.

The photograph above was taken on his wedding day just prior to the Normandy invasion. His fiancée is Sonia Butt, a 19-year old British servicewoman who was also a member of the SOE. Both husband and wife would parachute into France to assist with the invasion but on different missions.

After the war Guy and Sonia moved to Canada. Guy remained in the Army until 1965. He passed away in 1991. Sonia was the subject of a Daily Mirror article in 2014, which can be found here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/british-girl-who-spied-nazis-3265606

She was awarded an MBE for her SOE work. Guy received a DSO.

Interesting to note on the uniform D'Artois is wearing. Full Canadian Airborne Corps accoutrements, but what is the badge on his upper lapels?

Cheers,
Dan.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
J.Garnier

Guy D'Artois photo

June 23 2017, 8:07 PM 

Respond to this message   
Dan Martel

Thanks

June 24 2017, 8:48 AM 

[linked image]

Thanks for the info. I've never seen CANADA shoulder titles worn in this manner on any other Canadian soldier. In the photo it looks like the badge says CANA or some such. Maybe it's just light diffusion obscuring the individual letters.

This is a later photo from the one in the opening post. D'Artois is now a Captain and is wearing two decorations. Sonia is wearing a Canadian uniform rather that the uniform of the British FANY. This might have been taken post-war.

I'm also looking at D'Artois' buttons. Are they PPCLI or is that a General Service pattern?

Cheers,
Dan.

Respond to this message   
Dan Martel

Answered My Own Question

June 24 2017, 8:52 AM 

His buttons are Canadian Army General Service pattern.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ken Joyce

1st Special Service Force collar insignia

June 26 2017, 10:08 AM 

D'Artois served with the 1st Special Service Force until roughly September 1943. The CANADA insignia were made specifically for the Force to be worn on the lapel.
He left the Force as one of several disgruntled officers who did not like their prospect of advancement or the pay. He was actually recruited for SOE while in Montreal.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com