<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tank Advance painting

November 27 2017 at 9:36 AM
James P 

I recall a huge and very striking painting titled Tank Advance hanging on the wall of the old Denison Armoury in Downsview ON and have long wondered a couple things. 1. Was it actually painted by Lawren Harris (a former GGHG)? and 2. whatever became of it ? If memory serves me right it was rather large as it was three 4X8 sheets of plywood in size.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill Miller

Original is at the CWM

November 27 2017, 10:17 AM 

The original painting is an oil on canvas and is part of the war art collection at the CWM.

http://www.warmuseum.ca/collections/artifact/1013606/?q=Tanks+Advance&page_num=1&item_num=3&media_irn=1103913

Respond to this message   
James P

Re: Original is at the CWM

November 27 2017, 10:19 AM 

Understood, I am asking about the painting, in the GGHG mess, in Denison Armoury and if Harris had painted that one.

Respond to this message   
Bill Miller

copy

November 27 2017, 10:58 AM 

Unsure, but doubtful that Harris had anything to do with the large reproduction.

Respond to this message   
James P

Re: copy

November 27 2017, 12:57 PM 

I throw this out there that if he himself did not paint it then he played a big role in seeing it painted, maybe by one of his students post war under his direction. Consider the fact the man started the war as a trooper in the Governor General Horse Guards spent three years in the ranks and remained the units war artist for the duration. So how one of his paintings or this copy of one of his paintings ends up hanging on the GGHG mess wall is not that big of a imagination stretch.

Respond to this message   
James P

Re: copy

November 27 2017, 1:13 PM 

Even the Unit sign on the Sherman painting is GGHG, today everyone cranks out "tribute videos for Youtube but I think Harris did this (or had it done) his way back in the day for his old unit. If there are any GGHG who have seen this painting it would be super cool to see a pic posted.

Respond to this message   
Dan Martel

Remember it, well

November 27 2017, 4:13 PM 

It was hanging on the east wall of the OR's mess, correct? I remember it. I was a GGHG cadet at the time (late 60's) and we were allowed in the mess to buy soft drinks (no beer allowed for us) after parade night. Don't know anything about its provenance however.

Denison Armoury. Where I took my first left step.

Cheers,
Dan.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com