Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

I'ts a question of scale, really

March 13 2004 at 12:20 AM
Peter Kempf  (no login)
from IP address 213.142.10.45

Response to Been interested in the Great War stuff for a while now, but what is good?

It's a question of scale really.

If its super detail and super finish you are after, then nothing can beat 1:35, obviously! The work of 1:35-scale modellers are a constant source of inspiration, admiration and even envy for me The amount of available kits is small though, even meagre when compared to the glut of WW2-material. We have for instance Tauro and EMHAR but their 1:35-efforts do look a bit dated compared with the latest efforts from, say, Tamiya. I've seen articles on very fine resin WW1 kits, but they are also few.

I am a 1/72-scaler myself. And the reasons are chiefly time, money and space. 1/72 scale kits are much cheaper and take up much less space than 1:35, and also you can finish a kit with quite reasonable results in just a week-end. And also: the amount of available 1/72 WW1 kits is MUCH bigger, especially if you want to do artillery and/or softskin vehicles as well. The quality of many kits are so-so, especially if you compare them with standard 1:35 scale kits, but quality is steadily improving even here. (1/72 scale AFV kits are in general getting better and better. Some of the new Revell offerings are in detail almost comparable to 1:35!) I can recommend you taking a look at my site (http://www.landships.freeservers.com) where you can find both a lot of reviews of 1/72 scale kits, and lists of what kits that can be found. And there is more about than you think!

Botttom line: it's your choice! There are pros and cons to both scales!

All the best
/Peter K

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Sorry, Paul! - Jorit Wintjes on Mar 13, 2004, 12:54 AM
    1. Oh my god, I need coffee now, - Jorit Wintjes on Mar 13, 2004, 12:56 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse