Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Re: USMC tank in China

January 30 2005 at 8:45 AM
Dave Barrett  (Login DBear82)
from IP address 152.163.100.131

Response to USMC FT-17 in China service, 1927-28.

Hey Kurt,

This is an interesting subject, and one which I just recently completed myself. The Marines in China during the incident did not have the FT-17 per se. They utilized the M1917, which is the American-made version of this tank. It differs significantly from the French version.

Turret - All M1917s were fitted with the riveted octagonal turret, and not a cast one.

Armament - The M1917 mounted either a .30 cal. Marlin tank machine gun, or a Browning M1919 .30 cal. machine gun with a small shield (after 1919). Other versions mounted a 37mm M1916 cannon.

Exhaust - The most visible sign of an FT-17 being an M1917 is the exhaust muffler being on the left side, instead for on the right.

There are quite a few photos on-line of the M1917 tank. Just do a Google search and you can find them. If you have problems, feel free to e-mail me, as I have quite a few from the research I did for my recent project.

Speaking of which, I am not sure what scale you prefer to work in, but I would highly recommend the MR Modellbau M1917 conversion. It is an excellent conversion, and only needs a few tweaks to make it very accurate. Again, if you have questions on it feel free to ask.

If you can locate it, I would also recommend Steve Zaloga's book on the FT-17 {Osprey Vanguard 46, The French Renault Light Tank} as it covers this topic pretty well. It also includes an actual photo of an M1917 being off-loaded from a ship in China in 1927 (so the box art is correct in this case).

HTH

Dave

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks Dave... - Kurt Isbrecht on Jan 30, 2005, 8:06 PM
    1. No problem - Dave Barrett on Jan 31, 2005, 5:42 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse