Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

French Shells

August 1 2009 at 2:34 AM
Cooper Mike  (Login coopmik2)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.165.34.20

Dear All

Alittle while back I posted asking for colours for Austro-Hungarian shell, and as always, received really helpful replies.

I mentioned that I had some information on colours for French shells. I must apologise to the fellow-lister who sent mer this as I've mislaid his details, but the following is taken from a US Publication Notes on French Ordnance 1717to1936, by Capt. James E Hicks. I believe it was published c. 1938.

Given the low rate of change in French kir from 1918 to 1938, I think it's possible to be faily confindent that these colours would be Ok for 1918, if not earlier. The text gives only a selection, but in lieu of anything else, may serve as a guide.

220 Mortar - "charge en nitrate" = shell has yellow head, red body.
220 Mortar - "Charge en nitre" - all yellow

155 GPF - as above

75mm AA - Shrapnel - Red with blue tip or red, blue tip grey band about half way down

75mm Mountain Gun - As 155GPF and 220 Mortar

65mm Mountain Gun - HE as 155 GPF etc, Shrapnel all red; drill rounds blue

Just when this looks like setting up a handy system - HE = yellow or yellow and red, shrapnel = red a table states

Explosive - 1900/1915 = Yellow/Red
Explosive 1918 - yellow/black
Shrapnel - Red
Shrapnel "charge in body" - white
Fragmentation m1910 - unpainted head (ogive) orange yellow body
Gas - black head, green body
Incendiary - Red ogive, green body
Practice - Black with blue band

Hope this helps: I don't claim its definitive, and I've not been able to cross-check it, but its source does seem to be French texts from at least 1938.

Mike Cooper

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse