Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

color of whippet tank?

March 17 2004 at 10:47 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 81.241.12.95

Hello,
currently i am building emhar whippet tank; the color to paint is given in FS numbers only; on the box the color is some kind of green; can anyone tell me what shade of green this is? preferably in tamiya colors.
thanks,
pascal bastiaens

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Whippet colours

March 18 2004, 12:44 AM 

Emhar's painting instructions are frequently dubious, and it is more likely that the Whippet was painted a drab brown colour.

This link should give you some help with British WW1 colours and visiting the rest of the site is highly recommended:

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/WW1camo.htm

Site includes an entire article on the Whippet:

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/whippet_info.htm

As a Tamiya equivalent try XF52 Flat Earth.

Hope this helps.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: color of whippet tank?

March 18 2004, 2:19 AM 

I'll just repeat my recommendation that you go to Brussels and bring a model paint color chart to hold next to their Whippet... My photos of that tank show (on my screen) a kind of dark olive drab color, but I find it very difficult to put a model paint number to it.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Whippet Colours

March 18 2004, 4:14 AM 

Glad to see people are asking questions about this.

The problem we have is that the one surviving Whippet in its original finish can be seen as either - or both - an olive drab or a dull brown. Recent work on the Landships site suggest that the areas under/around markings are a drab brown akin to that on the Mk IV, and seen on a contemporary model MK VIII in Bovington.

Having gone through the 3 and 6 BN War diaries and the 3 Brigade War diary I've seen no reference to whippets being any different colour to Heavy Tanks. I've also seen no sign that heavy tanks in 1918 were anything other than the brown recorded for 1917, so...

The Diaries do note markings for both battalions, and the use of flags by Section commanders.

I haven't looked at the Brussels Whippet myself yet "in person" and its colour presents a real problem of evidence. If it is Sky-Blue-Pink, were ALL Whippets?

My 1/76th Whippet is the same brown as the Heavies, BUT if anyone shows that Whippets were usually a different colour I'll happily repaint.

BTW - Milicast have re-worked their Whippet now.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Whippet colour

March 18 2004, 4:43 AM 

Philippe Massin, the guy who has photographed the Whippet in Brussels for the Landships site, and has examined it several times, has stated that it is GREEN, although in a hue much changed by the years. (The tank is in it's original WW1 camo.) But he would bet his life on the original vcolour being green. But the exact shade is impossible to tell now, so long after.

I myself, would make it a sort of bland green, not too mid-green or mossy, but with a hint of light brown in it. The colour on the box art looks pretty good to me.

Only my two cents...

/Peter K

Respond to this message   

(Login sherman56)
Missing-Lynx members

here's a wrench...

March 18 2004, 8:09 AM 

I believe in 1927 the brits sold the Japanese a number of Whippets (8?) were these tanks repainted by the Japanese or just remarked but in the original colour?
As can be seen on other boards I'm scratch building one and I recently purchased the AccArm. release so one of these will be Japanese, Best BobC

a painting aside-i've photographed the Aberdeen Whippet, the interior too, and though very rusted inside it is obvious that the original interior colour of that tank was a gloss white-hatches and doors too.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Only ever seen one picture of Japanese Whippets

March 18 2004, 8:21 AM 

It's the one reproduced in Volume 1 of the AJ Press series on Japanese armour.

All you can say from the picture is that the tanks are a monotone which is darker than the uniforms of the crew and accompanying soldiers. I can e-mail a scan if you haven't seen it.

Respond to this message   
Bob Collignon
(no login)

Japanese Whippets

March 18 2004, 2:26 PM 

Thanks David I have the book too and it is also the only ophoto I've seen. Wouldn't a whippet in WWII facing off against a little Stuart be a neat dio if it could be proved:)? Thanks Best BobC

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Canadian Whippets

March 19 2004, 12:29 AM 

How about one of the Whippets used for training in the early part of WW2 standing next to a Ram or Grizzly?

Respond to this message   

(Login tankmodeler)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Canadian Whippets

March 19 2004, 9:40 AM 

I don't think we had any Whippets. We received american FT-17s and Mk VIIIs but no Whippets.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Green...

March 19 2004, 2:09 AM 

...is also the color I thought it was when I looked at the Brussels tank last summer. But like you said, 80+ years of fading etc. have probably changed this a lot from whatever the exact original shade was.

Unfortunately, even the underside appears to be discolored a lot due to rust and other effects, with colors that range (in my digital photographs on my screen) from grey to brown to green to olive drab to dark rust colors

Respond to this message   
Mike Cooper
(no login)

Whippet

March 22 2004, 7:19 AM 

Sorry if I misquoted people by stating that Firefly had been described as "brown". I must get a look at her myself. If she was green or some olive colour, then we still have the issue of what colour all other Whippets were, and when it was introduced. So far, I've found nothing to confirm this. Any chance of anyone FS matching her?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

thanks

March 18 2004, 11:49 AM 

Thanks, guys;
I think I put my whippet aside till I got the time to go to Brussels to look for myself. I hope the one overthere is still in its original color.
pascal bastiaens

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - color of whippet tank?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse