Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What decals would you guys want most?

March 17 2004 at 6:39 PM
Hans  (no login)
from IP address 65.211.49.194

I've been trying for years to find the right little niche to open my own little model business and I think this may be a great starting point. Decals are sorely lacking for armor, and everything is lacking for WWI themes. Considering the growth in interest I am seeing for the era by modellers, a little kick in the pants from the aftermarket side might help move things along.

So, if some nutcase like myself were to start selling decals based on a WWI theme, what would you guys want? Be as vague or specific as you would like.

Specifically, I am wondering the following...

what scale?
what nationalities?
what types of vehicle?
what specific vehicle/units?

-Hans

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Vil Elliott
(Login Vil_Elliott)

Hmmm...

March 17 2004, 6:57 PM 

1. Complete decal sheet including nose-art of the A7V 'Mephisto'.
2. Decal sheets of all the British tanks sporting nose-art. (there werent that many).

And.. Thats all I can think of for now.

-Vil.

Respond to this message   
Eric McClure
(Login EricMc)
Missing-Lynx members

Stuff for the Emhard vehicles

March 17 2004, 7:08 PM 

I would love to see 1/35 decals for the Whippet and the Mk.IV tanks. Especially some of the names with references.
Eric

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
Calvin and Hobbs 1990

Respond to this message   
Peter Kempf
(no login)

Excellent idea! I have many suggestions!

March 17 2004, 10:28 PM 

This is an excellent idea. And a really empty space market-wise. Hurry, and you will corner it! I would suggest the following (all in 1/72, because that's were most the kits are, but it's easy to scale them up to 1/35. Once you've done the masters, the scale is pretty easy to change.)

1. One sheet with numbers and nicknames for British Mk I, II, III and IV, and Whippet. Caters for the Airfix Mk I and Emhar Mk IV. (Plus a number of White Metal and Resin kits.)

2. One sheet with numbers, nicknames etc for the German A7V. Caters for the Emhar A7V. (Plus a lot of Resin and White Metal kits etc.)

3. One sheet with German markings used on captured tanks. Caters for the Emhar Mk IV. (Perhaps this one could be incorporated into sheet 1?)

4. One sheet with markings for French WW1 Tanks. Principly the FT-17, catering for the RPM kit, but also for the coming kits by HäT and Mirage - plus the usual array of White Metal and Resin kits etc. But also some intended for the S:t Chamond and Schneider CA.1 - which you also can find in other materials than plastic.

5. One sheet for Russian Armoured Cars. Both Imperial Army and Russian Civil War. There is no plastic kit out on this subject YET, except one Russo-Balt, but there are LOTS of resin and white metal kits!

That's my suggestion. I'll be glad to help you with any info you need. I have much material. You can also take a peek at my site: http://www.landships.freeservers.com This is a great idea. It is pristine territory marketwise, at the same time that decals would surely give yet another boost to a growing segment of the hobby!

All the best
/Peter K

Respond to this message   
Francois Gousse
(Login Francois_Gousse)
MODERATORS ONLY - WW1

Please post full name, thanks. n/t

March 18 2004, 4:59 AM 

n/t

Regards from Canada.
Francois.
Site moderator.

Respond to this message   
Hans Haase
(no login)

I hate when i do that..... sorry

March 18 2004, 6:11 AM 

Old habits die hard.

Respond to this message   
Jay W Cesafsky
(no login)

My Two Cents...

March 18 2004, 3:29 PM 

I would recommend the following for simple marketing reasons:

Scale: 1/35 primary, 1/72 secondary
Eras: WWI, WWII, and some post war because there are so few producers of armore decals, especially for sets geared toward completing specific vehicles.
Nationality: Primarily US, German, USSR, and I bet if you did some good sets for particular Janaese tanks, you could sell a TON in Japan, where the vast majority of models are sold in the world. And someday, China may be a huge market as well.
Vehicles: To start off with, standard vehicles such as Shermans, Stewarts, Panthers, PzrIII & IV, T-34, JS-2, Chi-Ha, Semovente, etc. I do recommend doing some more colorful 'novelty' subjects just to offer something different but which you are confident will sell, such as Czech, Romanian, Japanese, or Finnish/Soviet stuff from the Winter War. Just a thought.
Markings: Definitely for specific vehicles, but with extra unit codes, small markings, etc to make your sheets more interesting and unique. Remember too that in most pictures of tanks, especially WWII, most markings are not visible, examples are US Air ID stars on the turret roof and engine deck, German crosses on rear hull, Israeli air ID stripes.

I hope this is helpful, Hans.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse