Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

French WWI Vehicle Colors

January 26 2005 at 6:23 AM
  (Login mikedobrzelecki)
from IP address 205.247.229.99

Of course I know of the multi-colored schemes seen on FT-17's, etc., but the WWI color shots made available today on the Hyper Scaler Website jogged my memmory banks about questions I had regarding the medium blue or blue-gray used on some French vehicles, especially soft-skins.

Anybody have any comments on the colors, medium blue or otherwise, and a good match for the blue, if valid, in available hobby paint ranges ?

Also, anybody have any leads, photos, etc., on automobiles impressed into service with the French Army during WWI, other than the famous taxis, and whether they were repainted ?

Mike Dobrzelecki

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Artillery Grey

January 26 2005, 8:16 AM 

Hiya

Can't say anything about the Taxis, but other vehicles were mostly a light grey with a blue-ish aspect. Recently published colour photos suggest this might have been a little darker than we'd assumed, but still a light Grey. The WW2 RAF Sea Grey Medium feels close.

If you can get a look at a copy of Les Camions De La Victoire - Barbarossa Books had copies - its very good generally on french softskins, and has a good note on colours. Gun tractors went into a three-four tone disruptive

Hope this helps

Mike Cooper

Respond to this message   

(Login krychski)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: French WWI Vehicle Colors

January 29 2005, 9:13 PM 

Hey Mike

Didn't know you hung out here

The book mentioned by Mike Cooper, 'Les Camions de la Victoire, 1914-1918', is a treasure trove of French softskins but with all text in French. I picked up a copy last November at the UK Nats in Telford. Let me know when we'll cross paths and I'll bring it along--AMPS in April maybe?

IMHO, if the color on the French 75mm and caisson in the Imperial War Museum is accurate, it definitely leans towards the blue side of blue-grey. I could send you a couple of photos if you like... If I knew how to attach JPEGs to this message, I'd do that for everyone's benefit.

Karen

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - French WWI Vehicle Colors
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse