Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

75mm WWI Artillery Piece Model

January 28 2005 at 11:00 PM
  (Login ecovlke)
from IP address 4.244.96.149

I have an old Life-Like Hobby Kit 75mm World War I Artillery Piece that I won on Ebay last year. The history on the side of the box mentions the fact that the 75mm field piece was introduced by the French in 1896-97, but it fails to say if the model is based on a French piece. I had one like it back in the late 70s while my grandfather, who served in the US Army during WWI, was still alive. He said it looked like a German gun, but his memory was clouded by 6 decades and a stroke. Is any one familiar with this kit and can answer my question on nationality? The model appears to be 1/20 or 1/24 in scale. Again none of this info is listed on the box or instructions. Thanks for any help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Re: 75mm WWI Artillery Piece Model

January 29 2005, 4:07 AM 

Since Life-Like is an American company, it's probably the 75mm Gun M1897, the US version of the French Canon de 75 mle 1897.

Pictures of the French original at
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/french_75.htm
and http://www.colonialwargames.org.uk/Miscellany/Weapons/Artillery/MiscImages.htm

The American-built version (M1897A2), along with updated French-built M1897 (M1897A4), were progressively modified through to the 30s - pneumatic tyres, split trail, removal of muzzle counterweight, new shield etc - but can always be recognized by the unique oval breech with handle on the rear face at 4 o'clock.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

duh...

January 29 2005, 4:12 AM 

Sorry, keep forgetting that those aren't counter weights at the muzzle...

Respond to this message   

(Login ecovlke)

75mm WWI Artillery Piece Model

January 29 2005, 1:55 PM 

Thanks for the info Nick. I think my grandfather was thinking of the German 77mm when he looked at the original model I had years ago because its front sheild is shaped like the 77's. I found a line drawing in the old Ballentine's Illustrated History of the Violent Century "The Guns 1914-18" by Ian Hogg, it was of an American 3-inch Field Gun M1903. This drawing was of a rear view so the solid tail is visible and it matches the models details exactly. The breech handle in the drawing appears to be at a 3:00 position as where the model is at 4:00 as you mentioned. The line drawing's front plate appears to be shorter than the model which as I mentioned is an almost exact match to the German 77. The model has a large round dip in the center of the sheild like a 77, where the drawing shows a very shallow one. The muzzle of the model does not match the French 75 and it is not visible in the line drawing from the book. In fact the model looks nothing like any examples I could find of the French gun. A front view photograph of a US Model 1916 75mm looks close to the front, but still not close enough and besides this piece had a split tail which the model does not. It looks as if several different guns were used to model a generic WWI field piece. I thought I saw a match to my model in a documentary on the Paris Gun. It was in the background behind the curator of the Aberdeen Proving Gound Ordanance Museum and the front sheild and muzzle was clearly visible. The mystery continues...

Respond to this message   

(no login)

need a photo

January 30 2005, 4:24 AM 

Can you post a picture of the kit, or boxtop if it reflects the contents?
I have photos of every piece in the artillery collection at APG but without a reference picture I can't really make any further suggestions.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: 75mm WWI Artillery Piece Model

January 30 2005, 8:35 AM 

In response to your query,that model is NOT a french 75.It is avery inaccurate model of a U.S 3 inch howitzer classified as used in landing party operations.There is one example in the U.S.M.C museum located at Quantico.FSM had an article about 4-5 years ago on how to correct and update thiskit.Ifyou can wait I might be able to dig out the issue #

Respond to this message   

(Login ecovlke)

FSM Issue Number for 75mm (US 3-inch)

January 30 2005, 9:00 AM 

Thank you Nick and Jim for you help. Jim if you can find the issue number I would be a big help, thanks.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

FSM issue #

January 30 2005, 10:23 AM 

Actually it was closer to 10 years ago. It was the September 1995 issue.However since I am totally computer illiterate I can not scan the article for you,perhaps someone who moniters this site can help?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 75mm WWI Artillery Piece Model
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse