Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Interior Info needed for FT-17

September 17 2007 at 2:01 PM
Daniel Cruz  (Login danielcruz561)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 68.33.54.240

Hey all,

I'm currently working on an FT-17 (the version with the cannon, not the MG) and am including a full interior using the Armo sets (fighting compartment and engine). However, I'm kind of stuck on how the ammo racks work. I remember that there was an article in Military Modeling long ago that detailed how to build the ammo racks correctly, however somewhere along the way I've lost the article. I know that there should be ammo racks on both sides, and I believe that each shelf of rounds could be folded to the sides of the fighting compartment as they were emptied. However, after looking at the photos I've got, I haven't been able to discern how the folding mechanism works or how the rounds were held in place (although on the latter I'm guessing they simply hung in holes in the shelves, with the firing plate of the shell keeping it place via gravity). I've got some photos from the internet, but nothing that actually shows a shell in place. Anyone have any photos of the shell racks?

And while I'm asking anybody have any photos of the engine compartment? I've got photos of the engine itself, but not in the vehicle and the compartment looks rather bare.

Cheers,

Daniel Cruz

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

phil thydirtyanimal
(Login philthydirtyanimal)
Missing-Lynx members

afghanistan

October 8 2007, 8:24 PM 

if you look at the photos of the FTs that were found in afghanistan, in a few of them you can see the engine in place in the engine compartment

Respond to this message   
Daniel Cruz
(Login danielcruz561)
Missing-Lynx members

RE: Afghanistan

October 13 2007, 9:24 PM 

Phil,

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know where those photos are located, I haven't had much luck finding them.

Also, if you're interested I found some pretty good photos of the ammo racks over at the Landship website: http://www.landships.freeservers.com/ft17_info.htm.

Cheers,

Daniel

Respond to this message   

phil thydirtyanimal
Missing-Lynx members

FT pics

October 16 2007, 7:35 AM 

this link might work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7700258@N05/sets/72157601073012940/with/936708811/

if not, search for 'ft17' on flickr, and you'll find a decent collection of pics.

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Things to be careful of

November 9 2007, 7:51 AM 

This might be a bit late but maybe it will help someone else...

I think at least one/some of the "Renaults" from Afghanistan were American 5 Tonners from the 1920s, so they differ inside from the French FT.

Alot of the surviving FT tanks are FT-31's... post War FT-17s and again the interior differs (Fire Wall for engine was added, IIRC)

The Osprey Vanguard book the the FT series has cut aways of the interior

Respond to this message   

phil thydirtyanimal
Missing-Lynx members

No

November 10 2007, 8:26 AM 

i have not seen any pictures of US 6 tonners in Afghanistan. I have checked the pictures of the Renaults, and they are without doubt Renaults, and definitely not the updated 31. and they do not have engine compartment bulkheads. they are, without doubt, genuine Renault FT 17

Respond to this message   
Richard hendrix
(Login rwhendrix)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Interior Info needed for FT-17

March 11 2008, 8:54 AM 

Hope this pic of the M1917 turret inside can help.

This message has been edited by rwhendrix from IP address 70.227.175.114 on Mar 11, 2008 8:57 AM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse