Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mephisto Moved....

August 2 2011 at 4:42 PM
David Scorer  (Login SCORER67)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 220.244.76.101

Just a bit of light reading....
Hopefully when it's returned there'll be a great photo opportunity !
Out from behind glass and all new & shiny !
Just cut & paste the link, or hopefully, if I did it right.... just click on the link bellow !
Regards,
David

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/qld-museum-wont-reveal-whereabouts-of-prized-german-mephisto-tank-from-world-war-i/story-e6freoof-1226105585424

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login horra)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Dave.

August 2 2011, 6:12 PM 

Couldn't help but notice the subtitle "Germany's Secret Weapon"
Was the A7V really the "V" weapon of its day? Or is this just indicative of a certain level of journalism? happy.gif
I'll be keeping my eye on this story. Not a fan of state government projects doing things secretly. Personally I'd be trumpeting the restoration of such a unique subject pretty loudly.
But for once my tax dollars feel well spent!

Respond to this message   
Matt Quinney
(Login nosewrit)
Missing-Lynx members

Original colors?

August 3 2011, 8:37 AM 

So, out of curiosity, is that the original paint, or had it been "restored" since being captured?

Respond to this message   

(Login PaperPanzer)
Missing-Lynx members

Mephisto Restoration

August 3 2011, 2:31 PM 

Mephisto was partially restored externally in the 1980s. During this process there were traces of green paint
found, possibly from the original paint, which was matched in the current paint.

Got to admire the general dopiness of the Murdoch (News Ltd) journalists - A7V stood for Allgemeines Kriegsdepartement, 7. Abteilung, Verkehrswesen ("General War Department, 7th Branch, Transportation") which a Wikipedia lookup would have revealed.

Regards,

Charlie

Respond to this message   
R Barry
(Login hobgrot)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Mephisto Moved....

August 19 2011, 5:31 PM 

well, I hope they got someone competent to do it.
My experience with aircraft restorers in Qld & the AWM was severely depressing !!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Mephisto Moved....
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse