Home > Discussion Groups > World War I and 1920s + 1930s

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=282066&messageid=1113823087
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

MB Models Mark IV

July 3 2012 at 7:04 AM
  (Login Frank_LeMay)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 69.242.144.98

I have an older resin Mark IV from MB models. Dumping the bits out of the box, it seams to be a reasonably nice resin kit.
I am pretty much a WWII modeler but would like to give this kit its due.

I suppose this is a general inquiry since this is a new area for me.

Ive been googling about for references, but, haven't found what I would think of as a "bible" for the Mark IV.
Is there a recognized reference for this series of vehicle?

The MB kit comes with brackets for the roof rails but no real plans for their design or use. Is there a good plan to build the rails from somewhere?

Would anyone out there have experience with this kit and could comment on its general accuracy?
It is 1/35 and comes with 6 pounders and Hotchkis machine guns. Also has white metal tracks.

Any conversation or thoughts on where to take a build would be appreciated.

Frank

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Paul582)
Missing-Lynx members

Try here

July 3 2012, 9:03 AM 

Your first port of call should behttp://www.landships.info/landships/index.html Which should answer most if not all your queries

Paul

Respond to this message   

(Login phickey)
Missing-Lynx members

MB ...yikes....

July 9 2012, 12:24 PM 

No, it's not that bad, but it does take some time.

As the previous person mentioned, try Landships, super people over there with tons of knowlege.

I built the MB kit a few years ago and had a blast building it, but it can be frustrating. At the time there wasn't anything out yet in book form but there was quite a bit on line and I even think there might be a walk around or two, try Prime Portal? I'm pretty sure I've see a walk around recently.I'm pretty sure Osprey has a book on the subject, although I'm not sure you need it.

I know I got alot of information from Landships especially on tank names.

I tried to get the kit track to work but couldn't so I ended up using Accurate Armour's track which was a bit pricey but really worth it. I also ended up using Calibre 35 French Hotchkiss machine guns in place of the blobs that come with the kit, again worth it.

I ended up fabricating my unditching rails from styrene angle, looks fine to me.

These WW1 tanks are so cool to weather as well, have fun and go to town.

I enjoyed getting into " potboiler" tanks so much I started looking into all sorts of subjects I never would have before the build.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to write.

Regards

Peter

Respond to this message   

(Login Saransk)
Missing-Lynx members

Article for WWI Tanks

July 13 2012, 7:44 AM 

I believe it was Cookie Sewell in the November 2009 Fine Scale Modeler that had an article about the Mark V tank. In it he had to build a lot of the same details you need on the Mark IV (I used the article on my MB Models Mark IV). I'm not sure if the article itself is available or if you need the magazine.
The Osprey Mk IV book also has some great pictures of the various fittings and such.

Overall I thought it was a nice kit, although the tracks tack some work to look "right." It was a blast to weather and looks great.

Respond to this message   

phil rad
(Login philthydirtyanimal)
Missing-Lynx members

A good reference vehicle

July 18 2012, 4:54 AM 

I don't have this kit and nor have I seen it in photos, but I see that mention is made of Hotchkiss MGs. Mark IV tanks were not equipped with Hotchkiss, they all had Lewis MGs.

If you want to check any details, the only surviving Mark IV in original condition is the male tank, Lodestar III in the Army Museum in Brussels.

[img][linked image][/img]

All other surviving Mark IV tanks have been messed with. (With the exception of "Deborah", who was blown up and then buried. However, she is very badly damaged so doesn't make a very good example to use as reference material. But as badly damaged as she is, you can still see that she used Lewis MGs and had armour at the rear, over the petrol tank.)

Respond to this message   
Peter Hickey
(Login phickey)
Missing-Lynx members

I stand corrected...

July 18 2012, 11:08 AM 

Thank you Phil for the correction.

I was sure that the kits MGs were Hotchkiss (they certainly didn't look like a Lewis barrel to me) therefore I just replaced them with the theory, "Hey if it shoots" I guess the crews would use anything, apparently not.

Once again, Thank You for the correction.

Regards

Peter

Respond to this message   

phil rad
(Login philthydirtyanimal)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: I stand corrected...

July 19 2012, 8:02 PM 

Peter, I hope you don't think that was a pointed comment, as I certainly didn't mean it that way. Like I said, I haven't seen this particular kit so when I read mention of Hotchkiss MGs I assumed it was another copy of the Mark IV on display at Bovington (like the Emhar kits).

Although it has been stated that Mark IVs used the Hotchkiss later in the war, there is no photographic evidence for this. Perhaps Central Workshops fitted a few with Hotchkiss but, if so, it would have been exactly that, a few.

I think it is akin to using a Joseph Stalin III or a Black Prince in WW2.

Respond to this message   
Peter Hickey
(Login phickey)
Missing-Lynx members

Not to worry...

July 20 2012, 10:31 AM 

I didn't take it poorly. I'm not really up on my WW1 armour and was excited to do the project because it was so different than my usual, Canadian armour.

I do remember recieving the kit in 2 sturdy boxes and being slightly overwhelmed at the weight of the kit as it is solid resin. There are some white metal "details" that I think in the end I replaced.

I also remember that there was very little in the way of walk arounds at the time, now I think there are a few.

The use of the Hotchkiss is my mistake and I didn't do my research, plain and simple.

The model was built as a tank seen at Cambrai.It was a fun build and I would do one again in a heartbeat.

Thanks again,

Peter

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - MB Models Mark IV
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse