Return to Index  

Re: Man utd mob

March 5 2017 at 1:47 AM
Shaka  (Login scrabblerSE22)

Response to Man utd mob

The Mancs always brought large numbers to Elland Road, even with such numbers they never came with any real intent, in my opinion (talking 70s rather than late 90s) considering the amount they brought They generally got turned over, of course they won some battles as you would expect with such numbers, however most of footage shows they were happy to come out of station and head straight to the ground. Remember this was the 70s when it was a free for all, and the Mancs tended to go on the rampage at most places but not at ER. My first experience of them 75/76 season, their first season back up after promotion, being a young school kid most this was quite raw for me, but I knew enough to know the score, outside afterwards I saw them continuously backing off. Again 76/77 season a mob of LUFC ran them down onto the dual carriageway after the game that was the general pattern even when they brought huge numbers in 79/80 last game of the season.

In contrast at OT during the 70s we were piss poor, we took next to nothing there until about 79/80. I think our best mob over there was 80/81 season when we really started to match the numbers they brought to ER. Listening to some of the old school on here who were around late 60s early 70s, even back then they had the numbers but found ER too rough for an easy away day. Remember they went everywhere back then but at some places they couldn't take liberties. In fairness not many went to OT. Although I have seen some footage on You Tube where the Scousers took to large numbers to OT late 60s, when the Scoreboard was a big open end. As mentioned I don't think we went there until the end of the 70s.

Others might be able to offer more comments on this, after all the old stories (late 60s to mid 70s) are the best.

Respond to this message   

***** http://www.leedssc.org.uk , averaging 60,000 hits per day *****