Return to Index  

View from a blue.

August 19 2017 at 7:35 AM
colin bell  (Login nw42)

Response to Re: One For The 70s and 80s Lads

Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd throw in my tenpence worth, mostly involving City games but also a good few with Stockport thrown into the mix, as you may recall both Stockport & Tranmere used to play most home games on Friday evenings, so the weekend did very often start @ Edgeley Park, right here goes;

Scum or Citeh ........... Results either way and too many to mention really. One thing I do know is that I despise the fuckers much more than any of you lot do.

Everton or Liverpool...Everton hands down, in particular the Q/final at theirs in 81, never seen so much steel on show. Also got nicked twice on same day following a game @ Goodison, assault followed by arson, bad day.

Birmingham, Villa, or Wolves...... Personally Birmingham but as someone said Wolves were sneaky fuckers. Always loved going to Villa and never came unstuck.

Leicester or Derby... Not a lot to choose between them but the Baseball Ground just gave itself to a volatile atmosphere.

Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough ... Boro all day long, home or away, the walk from the station was probably the roughest of them all. Newcastle was tasty in the cup in 77, the round after we won 2-1 @ ER.

Coventry or West Bromwich... Probably Baggies shade it but Cov did bring a decent firm to MR for a cup tie mid 90s, they had a go in the North stand, not something you'd expect.

Chelsea or West Ham..... Chelsea brought the biggest ever away following seen @ MR when they won promotion mid 80s, a Friday night game and they must have had 15k there, they bossed the place that night.

Arsenal or Tottenham .... Spurs, first team I saw come in the Kippax with intent, mid 70s, they were right at the back and caused quite a stir forward when they piped up, got shifted in the end though.

Millwall, QPR or Palace...... Wall, there's no contest really, although I did get my silk scarf taxed @ Loftus Rd in 75/6.

Wednesday or Blunts .... Blades, never seen/heard a peep from Wednesday.

Bradford or Huddersfield.. Bradford, there was always needle between them & Stockport, can remember them bringing loads to Edgeley Park early 70s, in fact that was my first real taste of fv and it was a 2nd prize, didn't put me off though.

Cardiff or Swansea.. Cardiff.

Wigan or Burnley ... Burnley but that's definitely a Stockport thing, plenty of history between the 2 that went on well into the late 90s.

Portsmouth or Plymouth.. Pompey for me.

Oldham or Blackburn ... I'd say Oldham from my own experience but Bolton should really be in there and they would definitely top the list for me if they were.

Barnsley, Doncaster or Rotherham.... Barnsley by a country mile.

Luton or Watford ... Luton, very uncomfortable place to visit in the 70s.

Forest or County ... Nuff said.

Stoke or Port Vale ... Probably had more scrapes with these 2 than any other club, Stoke at home were a force to be reckoned with, loved going there on train as it was such an eventful walk to the Vic. Neither of these had any time for Stockport and always came with plenty of intent.

Grimsby, Hull, Scunthorpe or Lincoln ... I'd say Hull was rougher, Grimsby & Lincoln on a par I think.

Hearts or Hibs ... My only experience is of Hibs through their raggy connections, known for being tooled up round Manchester after their home games.

Rangers or Celtic.... Rangers, attended a few old firm games, last one was the cup final, 89/90 I think, Joe Miller scored the winner, the whole day was complete mayhem, felt more like 79 than 89.

Motherwell or Aberdeen .. No personal experience.

Bristol City or Rovers ... City.

Apologies for the ramble but it's rare to find these sort of threads knocking about these days and I couldn't resist.

Oh, nearly forgot;

Leeds or Halifax.... Had 2 of my top 10 days at these 2, the 2-1 cup win @ER was a brilliant day from start to finish, have mentioned on here before that I won the golden goal comp, £50, problem was I had to collect it from the main office after the game, what a fucking lively walk that was.
As for the Shay, late 80s I think, Stockport travelled there last day of the season looking for a win to seal their first promotion in donkey's years, can't remember the score but results elsewhere meant it was party time in Calderdale, mad mad night.

Thanks for listening.

Respond to this message   
Responses

***** http://www.leedssc.org.uk , averaging 60,000 hits per day *****