<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gary monk

March 21 2017 at 7:26 PM
ovy  (Login ovywhite)
Leedssc Moderators

He was on t'wireless this morning 5 live, he got a 7 minute slot in between the regular 15 minutes updates of what's going on at old Trafford, they even played the beginning of marching on together.
Asked about chris wood and he said he can do it in this league, said the squad is small and young and inexperienced but hopefully will grow together, taking one game at a time literally and see what happens, also said his contract is up in the summer so theirs plenty time for discussions with the owners.
If, and I personally don't think we will go up this time, I hope they keep monk to finish what he's started here but knowing football wouldn't be surprised if he got the boot.
No matter which league we are in next year we definitely need investment that's glaringly obvious, hope the owners now realise this and the potential.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

Re: Gary monk

March 21 2017, 7:52 PM 

Irrespective of whether we go up or not, Monk should be given another contract. Maybe not a long one, but 2 years with the clause of a double yer money 3 year deal if he gets us promotion.

Some investment needs to be made in the players we have hee already. Taylor in particular should be given a contract he can't refuse, and if we don't go up Wood should be given an improved deal which will push up his transfer value.

And then go out and get 5 quality players to bolster the squad and improve on what we have as well as replacing the players we have in on loan. For me, Sackho and Barrow can go back to their clubs. The jury is out on all bar Bartley, who may not hang about if we don't go up because his performances this season will have stirred interest in him.

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

March 21 2017, 10:15 PM 

A bit of me says stay in this league another season get stronger and go up competitive, but a bit of me says just go up and make hay while sunshines, whatever I'm so proud of them it sounds like the real Leeds United ethic, and Gary monk is top notch with genuine bollocks....dropping Pontus was it's got to be said a very brave shout I doubt many other managers would have dreamt of doing it, total respect from me...nobody is bigger than Leeds United, side before self well done Gary monk, to me the support needs to spread the praise too, we used to sing every fuckers name or nickname before kick off.

I never dreamt we would be in this position, I'm hoping I never promised pants down in briggate.

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

March 22 2017, 11:49 AM 

I hear what you're saying about staying down but tbh if we do stay down with the same players we won't make the top 6 next time. Villa will be stronger next season, Hull will go straight back up if they keep their coach. And you have to think a club the size of Sunderland will be top 6 with the huge parachute payments. Add the blunts who have a top manager plus those who miss out this time on the play offs or just miss them eg Fulham, Norwich, Derby, Wednesday etc. Will be a tough league next time.

So go up, work incredibly hard and be organised, and clubs like Burnley and West Bromwich have shown that you can stay up without doing a Ridsdale.....

Respond to this message   
Pitbull
(Login old-man-leeds)
Leedssc Moderators

I'll be first then

March 22 2017, 2:21 PM 

Monk OUT!!!

Respond to this message   
target10
(Login target10)

Re: I'll be first then

March 22 2017, 2:35 PM 

hope - thats what weve got now. its taken alot of years. seems like another bournemouth to me after all that time - hope so anyway MOT

Respond to this message   
Gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

Stay Down

March 23 2017, 12:42 AM 

Sorry Lakebled but just don't understand this stay down attitude.
It's a strange point of view to say the least. Go up get the parachute payments if we come back down and at least be able to compete for some better quality players. All the clubs that seem to last in the Prem seem to yoyo a bit before establishing themselves.

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

Re: Stay Down

March 23 2017, 2:03 AM 

I'd like us to go up and be competitive, would anyone really like us to go up and do a boro, hull, Sunderland, West Brom, Newcastle Etc etc...I'm not getting any younger I want us to be successful again in the top flight despite my dislike of the premiershit it is where it's at...I don't want to see us get mullered every week and go back down no matter how much money the club gets, it's soul destroying, sustainable promotion is a far better place to be, we all know how difficult getting back up can be ask villa cos the parachute seems to have not opened down that place.

I want to go up and stay up, Leeds United need to be hovering around top 6 in the prem, is mid table or relagation battle on our agenda? No chance..I understand the going up and getting the money but we spent a lot of money before and look what happened.

I want the best for us, for the man in the stand the clubs bank balance isn't overly relevant ok Its great not to be massively in debt, but I do believe what's on the pitch matters much more, getting beat regularly in the prem is every bit as bad as getting beat in league one or the championship, soon get pissed off getting beat no matter what the other team is called just watch the pissed off crowds at the prem relegation threatened clubs I bet to a man they would rather be top two winning in a lower league than getting thumped in the prem every week.

And if cellino has his way does anyone really believe all those millions will be invested in the club? I certainly don't.

Respond to this message   
gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

March 23 2017, 9:19 AM 

Unfortunately thats not the way football works anymore.
If you look at the teams who have done relatively well it's the teams that have gone up and down.
I don't think there's any Abramovics' or Man City's sugar daddies left out there now, so it's going to be a slow build to get back where we belong. The longer we stay in the Championship the less likely we are to get back where we belong.
Who would have thought we would become a feeder club to the likes of Bournemouth and West Ham but that's where we are.
If we go up and come straight back down so be it at least we could be more competitive as you put it.
On the other hand we could go up and survive.
Your argument sounds like you would just like to stay in the Championship and be near the top of the division, sorry but it just seems like a lack of ambition.
I for one will be praying to go up this season, if not my support will be unwavering whatever division we are in.
MOT!!!!!

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

March 23 2017, 5:27 PM 

Think I'm getting a bit misunderstood or I'm wording it badly? Is a goal scored not the best feeling ever? When we concede it's devastating I wish instant death on the other supporters for a few seconds anyway, all I'm saying is the shit we all witnessed in the prem and previous relagations was agony I don't care about clubs finances (in a way) I care about that ball going in the net that buzz, excitement, it's what I lived for, it's why we all went ...the buzz...nothing to do with lack of ambition it's all to do with not wanting 9 months of struggle cos it's not just a Saturday or a Tuesday you feel miserable, it's all week like a dark cloud a heavy weight on your shoulders it's fucking horrid, this season has been brilliant because we have a chance in every game we are winning or at least competitive, we know before a game the chances are we will give it a right good go, I just feel one more year of solid building to add to what is a very good season anyway won't harm.

If that's lack of ambition fine I'll accept it, I can be guilty of speaking from the heart and maybe it comes out wrong.

Respond to this message   
Gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

March 23 2017, 6:33 PM 

I just don't get how you think another season in this division will prepare us better.
I get where your coming from but think your wrong. The longer we stay here the harder the transition to the prem is going to be.
Football is about finance now and the best way of guaranteeing income is in the premier league.
To put your argument into perspective, consider that the teams coming down will all be armed with bundles of cash from the parachute payments that we will have to contend with again. Also factor in that Wood, Bartley, Janson and Taylor will all be getting itchy feet with Prem teams sniffing about.
Us establishing ourselves in the Premier League again will take more than one season.
We've had years of shit so one or two more won't be any real hardship.
I hope we go up and will live with relegation with the knowledge that we will be better prepared to make a go of it.

Respond to this message   
CJ
(Login BPAWHITE)

March 23 2017, 8:38 PM 

I would take promotion in any form or another..the worst that could happen is we get relegated and get millions of pounds of parachute payments ala Newcastle which should without a crooked owner see us right.Leeds are still a big draw with TV and do still have a massive fanbase so if we were to get promoted this time round then we would probably get taken over and MC&CO would ride into the sunset with bags of cash.Double edged sword really as i hate the premier league tbh.

When we lost to Charlton in the play-offs in 87 we would have struggled in the old first division but there wasnt one fan at st.andrews who didnt want promotion that night.I still wonder what might have been if it wasnt for Shirtliff.That said Wilko came in and transformed us as a club.

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

March 23 2017, 7:12 PM 

Not being funny, but top 6 is impossible for 20 years at least barring Bill Gates taking over and pumping in billions.

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

March 23 2017, 7:21 PM 

100% disagree, if Leicester can win the prem and Tony Bellew can beat David Haye anything is possible, look at scum lately so called biggest club in the world can't win it....more to winning than just dollars

Respond to this message   
gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

March 23 2017, 8:55 PM 

Leicester had decent investment over quite a period of time. If we don't go up Cellino will cash in on some of the assets. Not forgetting that Monks stock has risen considerably.
Staying down is a ridiculous argument in this day and age.
Sorry mate you need to have a reality check.

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

March 23 2017, 9:24 PM 

I definitely said a bit of me wants us to go up and make hay while the sun shines....a bit of me doesn't if we are going to struggle but really no big deal...I want us to be in the prem as a force top 6 or 7 I don't think that's a big ask if done right but might take another year in this league that's all...it's realistic look at Brighton steadily built surprised me this year thought they would shit it, as we could next year in this league but if we don't and finish auto next year we have improved, although auto might happen this year yet?

As you said whatever or wherever we are always be Leeds. Maybe a bit of non league thrown in Harrogate town has a nineteen nineteen bar wonder if that's fotherby related

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

***** http://www.leedssc.org.uk , averaging 60,000 hits per day *****