<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Monk Out

April 30 2017 at 11:30 AM
DG  (Login DavidGedge)

According to a report in today's papers. Unbelievable if true.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
glasgowwhite75
(Login glasgowwhite75)

Re: Monk Out

April 30 2017, 12:06 PM 

Literally nothing would surprise me with this club of ours. If true it could put us back years if you believe some. Others may argue that in the unforgiving world of football management, a season is enough.

Me, I happen to think that Monk is a good coach. I don't buy into this deification of him though. He has done a good job but we were 11pts clear & sitting in 3rd place in February, which still totally irks me. The argument that we didn't strengthen in January was the prime cause of our downfall is pretty valid though IMO. We'll never know now if such "strengthening" would have got us over the play-off line.
So yeah, give him another go. Some of his loan signings have been suspect though, so whether the owners feel secure in giving him carte blanche on whatever transfer kitty they have at their disposal may still be a stumbling block to him staying at Leeds. The other question is, how much control of signings would he have ? And maybe it is this, in the end, if he did not have direct control of who we sign, which may make him feel his future is better served elsewhere.
Personally hope he stays and we push on from our base. But the squad needs a fair bit of tinkering if we are to challenge again next season methinks.

Respond to this message   
Ovy
(Login ovywhite)
Leedssc Moderators

April 30 2017, 2:27 PM 

He should be given the opportunity to bring in his own players and then live and die by that, why should the owners buy players! Cellino is clueless on footballing issues so should have nothing to do with them.
January was the turning point of the season and lack of investment was the nail in the coffin, all the other side vying for promotion strengthened where as we got 2 bargain bucket buys with 3 seconds remaining, says it all in terms of future commitment from the owners.
I think monk wants to be treat with respect and also as a manager with some security not as someone continually sat on a knife edge, if he brings in his own players and fails then he'll accept it but he also wants to build on what we have thus far, 3 midfielders and a centre forward will be a great help, if I were him I'd offer £2/3 million to Man City and grab mooy off Huddersfield as a starter.
What does annoy me about monk is his inability to get the players fired up, not that they should need firing up but sadly they do, also why does he feel the need to put 3 subs on every single game ?
Yesterday was typical of our strengths and weaknesses but why should we go 3 down before we get going, we ought to have started the game going for broke ,.
Players out for me are the whole midfield, apart from an odd glimpse of football here and there they are hopeless to a man, Hernandez being the best but he's too lightweight, vierra, roofe and Phillips are a luxury and are a conference midfield.
Players who should never lake for United again, fat arse doukara .
Very disappointed not to make the play offs, I know we wouldn't have got anywhere but being up there for so long is a bitter pill to swallow now, whatever happens regarding the management we need to either get shut or back him, no fence sitting and we definitely have to re-build now not in august, that said I'm certain monk will have players in mind if he's kept on, last thing we need is uncertainty and new management, although I hear the Italians are interested in bringing in ranieri, which makes you wonder where they will get the brass to re-build with him and not monk !!

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

April 30 2017, 4:02 PM 

Monk should be in the running for manager of the year in the championship despite the disappointing end to the season.

If you had fallen into a coma in July and woken up today knowing nothing as to what's happened and someone said that leeds had finished 7th top or 7th from bottom, not many would have thought 7th top if we are being honest.

And I still stand by my belief that we are not a top half team on paper, so really it has been a remarkable season.

As for next season, who knows who will be in charge of the team, but I'd wager it won't be Ranieri. But there is going to be a big rebuild to do. We are probably going to lose Taylor, and maybe Wood, and as it stands Bartley and Jansson are not signed yet, so potentially we could lose them also.

Add thatto the fact that Doukara is not good enough, and Roofe, Phillips, Vieira and O'Kane need to massively up their levels of performance it could be looking grim in August.

Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Sheffield United will be strong additions to the division, Derby, Norwich, Aston Villa and ipswich Town will improve on this season, and the 3 teams that miss out on the play offs mean next season is going to be even harder than this.

We should have strengthened in January with a couple of players who would change the style of play a bit as it seems as though we were found out as how we played. And we should have played a better team against Sutton and taken on a faltering arsenal team at home and we could have gone to Wembley. But otherwise, a much better season than the relegation battle I was half expecting.

Let's go to wigan, win 10-0, and hope that Wednesday can thrash Fulham and we will look at the season completely differently 😂😂😂

Respond to this message   
CJ
(Login BPAWHITE)

April 30 2017, 11:14 PM 

Monk should be nailed down to a 2 year contract and given a sensible amount of money to spend with any revenue from sales e.g Chris Wood going into team strengthening.However this wont happen as every pre-season under cellino has resulted in a pantomime and chaos.This club is crying out for stability and investment.The fact the managers position is still up in the air even though we have had our best season for years says it all.We fucked up our play-off hopes through a lack of ambition in january but Monk deserves a contract based on his first season and it should be done correctly and not in the way steve evans was publically humiliated.

Respond to this message   
scum8ter
(Login scum8ter)

April 30 2017, 11:26 PM 

What fucking pricks you are ...all this punching above our weight bollocks, I would take mid table shite ..what fucking planet you lot are on I don't know.

We was in top 6,chance of going straight up but best play offs and cunts come on here on say I take 7th ...fuck off you cocks!!!..where's fucking vinnny!! yeah its with a Y ya prick!!

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

April 30 2017, 11:38 PM 

Nobody is saying that we are happy with 7th, but more that it's better than what we thought at the start of the season. We fucked up from a great position, but that is synonymous with Leeds United going back to the glory days under Don. But if you thinkthat squad of players are good enough to get promoted you are deluded mate. Only Bartley from this squad would have got in Wilkos team the last time we got promoted from this division.

Respond to this message   
scum8ter
(Login scum8ter)

April 30 2017, 11:56 PM 

Well it all started with resting players for the Sutton game when we was on going good. Well that did us good ....they can rest for 3 months now,

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

May 1 2017, 12:25 AM 

Agree with the Sutton comments. Said it above and also said it at the time.

Respond to this message   
CJ
(Login BPAWHITE)

May 1 2017, 11:04 AM 

Dont read anyone happy with 7th but its an improvement on a relegation battle,without the millions it took us to get out of this division under Wilko.With a different owner and mindset,when we were 3rd we could have had a sniff of automatic with some investment but in the real world of our current ownership,that was never gonna happen.Brighton didnt get automatic by sacking Hughton last season and starting all over again in pre-season with the owner signing shiity foreign players and scratching around for the next cheap unemployed manager.

Respond to this message   
Ovy
(Login ovywhite)
Leedssc Moderators

May 1 2017, 11:36 AM 

Gotta say I like your drunken rants scum8ter , also your optimistic never say die attitude but you are either on a wind up or seriously deluded, we are shit and anyone who regularly attends games will admit it, without wood we wouldn't even be in the top 10 and it's only this season he's actually started leaking to what we as fans aspire to.
Are you seriously saying we would have finished in the top 6 before the season started?
We have punched above our weight imho but that's all it is, an opinion, and you are entitled to yours, my opinion is we are shite and have the worst set of midfielders I can remember, at least in the dark days of the mid 80,s the midfield had a little battle in them and could pass to a teammate, this lot are pathetic.
On another Matter, the owners ought to be talking to gary monk now not in frigging June, we don't have the respect to do things in a professional manner because Italians don't know anything about respect.
Btw, it's vinnie.

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

May 1 2017, 11:38 AM 

It's been a great season, first time in a long time I'm looking forward with optimism, as long as long as monk is backed and left to run the job, the fella is still learning he will make mistakes so what? We are all disappointed but come on it's ok, it might be another couple of years who knows but steady progress and solid foundations need to be in a place or we just yoyo.

Respond to this message   
Shaka
(Login scrabblerSE22)

May 1 2017, 12:46 PM 

We shouldn't beat ourselves up and argue. What worries me is what happens next. Progressive clubs with decent owners build on disappointments, all we get is speculation and concerns, which just about sums up this club and its ownership. Brighton had a double disappointment last season missing automatic promotion then play-off heartache. They didn't sit down and speculate about the manager and everything else, they looked at ways/methods to improve, the result this time around is automatic promotion. Similarly with Wendies, they are stronger after last season's experience.

For me this season was a wasted opportunity. What were Fulham, Reading and Huddersfield's ambitions at the beginning of the season, non of them were expected to challenge for promotion. Fulham were in the doldrums not so long ago, and its not by chance they now have an exciting young team full of quality. Modern clubs sit down and plan how they will progress and bring stability. Even Huddersfield have shown how to run and improve a football club, which is reaping its rewards on the pitch, they didn't sit back and applaud themselves, thinking they are punching above their weight, they want to grasp the chance by investing during the transfer window.

Sleeping giants and all that bollocks doesn't count anymore. The likes of Hull, Burnley and Bournemouth have shown what clubs can achieve even if the yoyo between divisions, point is they will always have lot more pulling power than us in terms of bringing in players.

We've all said it on here the January transfer window was a wasted opportunity, and now Cellino and his cronies want to wait to June before setting out their non-existent plans. They should be discussing with Monk within days of the season ending. For me the owners are clueless cunts or they are simply not interested in getting out of this league.

Respond to this message   
ncfcsteve
(Login ncfcsteve1)

David

May 5 2017, 10:18 AM 

i trust you as you know alot what goes on at leeds . do gary monk own a white bmw with a 66 plate as seen that car driving into Norwich training ground & look like monk otbc

Respond to this message   
Lakebledwhite
(Login slovenia67)

Re: David

May 5 2017, 2:51 PM 

Highly unlikely any meeting would be at a training ground with the season still ongoing with all due respect.

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

Re: David

May 5 2017, 4:08 PM 

Don't know to be honest pal what car he has, but unless he was there to sign a contract it wouldn't be him.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

***** http://www.leedssc.org.uk , averaging 60,000 hits per day *****