<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lost a friend

September 18 2017 at 2:48 PM
colin bell  (Login nw42)

It was 1974 and I was 14, a stranger appeared on the yard at school during break, stood on his own, white/yellow & blue wool scarf proudly displayed. My inquisitive nature got the better of me and I marched up to him, "you Leeds?"..... "yeh"....... "do you smoke?........."yep"..... "come on then I'll show you where we go".

That was it, the start of a long friendship with the proudest Yorkshireman I've ever met, he wasn't into the mither at games, just a staunch Leeds lad through and through, wouldn't hear a wrong word about your county or your club.
I knew the words to His eyes they shone, YRA, MOT etc etc and sang them with him back in the pub on many a Saturday night, he travelled everywhere and mostly on his own, which as we all know was no picnic bitd.

We attended each others weddings, parties and the like, sometimes we'd go more than a year without contact once I'd moved away but it was always easy to pick up where we'd left off, true friendship is like that.

I last texted him in March this year when you were away @ Fulham, I was following the game on the radio and it seemed you were destined for a scrappy win, I told him how impressed I was with a 6K turnout from Leeds and what jammy fuckers you were for scraping a win.
Fulham got an equaliser on 94mins and I got his reply, "I'm here mate, gutted!". I felt I'd jinxed it and wished I'd maintained radio silence.

I thought about him a couple of weeks ago while listening to one of your games, was going to send summat but thought better of it when I realised you were on an unbeaten run.

Anyway, Saturday lunchtime I got a call, he'd suffered a heart attack that morning, gone, sat at the kitchen table, fucking hell!!

Calls were made and a good 30 of us got together on Saturday night in our old local, he he had stayed faithful to the same boozer for 30odd years, that shows you the commitment of the fella.

He's left a wife and 2 grown up children, his lad turned up on Sat night, Stockport born but I'm proud to tell you that he is Leeds through and through and always will be, that's another measure of the man my mate was, to drag the poor kid through what you lot have been through over the years and he's still around for the cause.

Sorry for the ramble but I just wanted to tell you about him, at least he didn't see the unbeaten run broken, you are sitting in what must be your best position since fuck knows when and the future is looking bright.

Rest in Peace my friend Paul, Yorkshire's finest export to the right side of the Pennines.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Spezial
(Login spezial)

Re: Lost a friend

September 18 2017, 5:22 PM 

It's tough when you lose a mate, but it's a real punch in the stomach when it's sudden and unexpected. Sounds like he had a real good pal in you, and it's some small consolation that you'll have some happy and long lasting memories of your friendship. Obviously not a great reason to be posting on here, but I always find your input interesting anyway mate.

Respond to this message   
ovy
(Login ovywhite)
Leedssc Moderators

September 18 2017, 9:05 PM 

Puts things into perspective stuff like that, my best mate(Man Utd fan) died 3 and half years back and I still miss the lad, I don't give a shite who anyone supports as long as they're decent folk, it's only a game, I know we all get passionate and say things we don't mean at times but for me a mates a mate, I still drink with a mixed bunch of lads supporting different teams including your lot, that's Halifax for you, I can't do with these plastic twats that spout off and have never been, lads my age pick and choose or even stopped going many years ago but went back in t' day and have great tales to tell, you respect one and other and we all remember players laking for Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool etc, even lesser named teams had some characters for them.
Today's kids, well anyone under 25 will never have seen the proper football in proper stadiums, never had it rough down city's cobbled back streets or ayrsome park, old Trafford or Goodson, they're used to comfy (ish) seats in a soulless new build contraption with a banging drum and happy clappy halfwits.
Today's game is pisspoor in relation to getting stuck in, it's virtually non contact sport played by overpaid tossers who lake it at night on the Xbox and wallop their kids.
No colin bell , thas not rambled, only brought back some memories of a great pal you've lost but will never forget, don't matter how often you got in touch, we all lose base as we get older but don't mean you've ever fell out or forgot about each other, get theesen to his funeral and proudly sing MOT for him and his family whilst talking about the good old times you had over t' years.
All the best fella and keep the posts coming.

This message has been edited by ovywhite on Sep 18, 2017 9:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

September 18 2017, 11:19 PM 

All the best pal, fact of getting older I suppose.

Respond to this message   
colin bell
(Login nw42)

September 19 2017, 5:46 AM 

Thanks for the kind words fellas, much appreciated. As you say Giptonwhite, it comes with the territory now we're all on the back nine.

I'll give it a go at the funeral Ovy, funnily enough I did hear the strains of it coming from inside the pub on Saturday night while I was outside having a fag, quite surreal when you consider it was a pub full of City and rags.

I've just registered on waccoe as it seems there's a problem getting hold of his match going mate, apparently his phone is fingerprint locked so nobody can get the numbers. Am thinking if I stick a thread with my mates name on it might get picked up by someone who knows him even if he doesn't use the site himself. I may just copy and paste my post from here.

Thanks again.

Respond to this message   
hughie
(Login hughie3)

September 19 2017, 2:11 PM 

That wasn't a ramble mate. It was a touching post but as someone said, it's the age we're
getting to.

You try and give him a good send off...He sounded like a good man and so do you.

Respond to this message   
steak
(Login steakandsidney)

September 23 2017, 2:58 PM 

To post what you have on this site is a fitting testament to both your pal and to your friendship ....and TBH i have far more empathy with old school fans of rival clubs these days than i do with most of our own younger lot who will never have a clue what it really meant to follow a team that was always chosen for you and not by you....I hardly watch modern Football today unless it's Leeds...it's soulless and just doesn't offer much anymore... i get far more enjoyment and can watch for hours re runs and clips from games of the 60s 70s & 80s TBH..- and that's nearly any team... The game had Soul - the Grounds Players Fan's Managers Boot rooms even Programme sellers all had Soul...Today there's no Soul left in these old shoes ...it's why you could hate with passion a team on a Saturday but still have a laugh a empathy and a football bond with one of it's fans through the week....Thanks for bearing YOUR Soul on here

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

September 23 2017, 5:19 PM 

Spot on sir......on all fronts.

Respond to this message   
colin bell
(Login nw42)

Impressive send off

September 29 2017, 4:46 AM 

Tough day for all concerned yesterday but if any of you lads had driven past the church in Stockport as the hearse arrived you would have thought you'd landed in some sort of Yorkshire enclave, big floral LUFC club badge, various displays in white yellow & blue, near on every single one of the 100plus in attendance were wearing a white rose buttonhole.

You'll be pleased to know that LUFC featured heavily throughout the service, even his lifelong "hatred" for the salford rags was mentioned from the pulpit, quality moment.

His matchgoing mates came over and stayed around for a few hours afterwards, they had bought a Leeds shirt with No4 and his name on the back, they left to get back to ER and leave the shirt on the Bremner statue, nice touch lads (N, S & J) and it was good to meet you, I know you'll be welcome back in the Tunnes anytime you like.

Thanks again fellas for the kind words last week, my first post just sort of spilled out but the responses were very much appreciated, so I thought it only right to let you know how it went.

It really is time you were back in the top flight, I'm finding myself developing a soft spot for your club, the sooner hostilities are resumed the better, I miss hating Leeds....

Respond to this message   
ovy
(Login ovywhite)
Leedssc Moderators

Re: Impressive send off

September 29 2017, 6:24 PM 

Great to hear he had a fantastic send off, also a big thumbs up to the footballing family as a whole for turning out and giving a send off no matter who they supported, we might love to hate other sides but at times like yesterday its great we stand firmly together.

Respond to this message   
Gipton
(Login giptonwhite71)

September 30 2017, 9:53 AM 

Class

Respond to this message   
GINGER
(Login GINGERWILDCAT)

September 30 2017, 11:51 AM 

Brought a tear to my eye CB. At least the guy had a good send off.
Good posting mate, you'll always be welcome on here.

Respond to this message   
DG
(Login DavidGedge)

September 30 2017, 3:06 PM 

Tbh mate never had a problem with Citeh. Apart from Liverpool, the only other club that hates scum anywhere like us. Also bizarrely a lot of lads in Halifax support Citeh which I never really understood but hey......

Hope you'll stick around and post more pal.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

***** http://www.leedssc.org.uk , averaging 60,000 hits per day *****