Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Happy to see I'm not the only one here
    • Debbie (Login CrunchyMom)
      Posted Jun 14, 2004 11:33 AM

I am premenopausal (cd 3)and ttc (I am turning 53 on June 19th)My husband is 55. I am not persuing donor eggs, if we do not achieve pregnancy we will move on to traditional surrogacy. From my research (and experience) there are a number of things a woman can do to increase the odds of having a spontaneous pregnancy resulting in a healthy baby after the age of 50. I am not using any fertily drugs or any clinical methods under the supervision of any medical doctors. I was "laughed out" of the doc's office four years ago when he told me I was too old (this was without any tests, examination or evaluation of my reproductive/health history)... The following year 10 days before my 50th birthday I had a miscarriage--I was using BBT charting and detected ovulation on my 50th birthday. Shortly thereafter I started using a Clear Plan fertility monitor,I used it for 7 cycles...and it showed I was having mostly fertile cycles however it becomes a difficult tool to use if cycles extend over 42 days. (which started happening after I turned 50) I have continued to research--the biggest obstacles for a woman over 50 conceivng seem to be detecting precise ovultion time and egg viability. Two years ago I started taking Fertility Blend and conceived on the third cycle. That pregnancy also ended in miscarriage a year and a half ago. Because I know pregnancy is possible until it has been at least one full year (possibly longer)without a menstrual cycle, which would be the official clinical definition of menopause...and I still have menstrual cycles I have continued to research various options to increase egg viablility and methods of precise ovulation date calculation. I am currently using Fertility Planning Institute's method of ovulation calcuation ( http://www.fertilityplanning.com )--I have my second date calculated so far. The first date we had calculated earlier this month, my dh did not want to BD during the window--It appears I did ovulate shortly after the window closed and AF followed at 10 dpo. To increase egg viablitiy I am taking Chinese herbs, "ho shou wu" (also called fo-ti) in particular. I will elaborate more on the herbs if anyone is interested. I also want to make note that the mind is a very powerful tool in attempting to achieve a pregnancy at this age. We are bombarded with so much "information" and most of it is extremely negative for any woman who desires to have a child after the age of 40--so it is even more negative if the woman is over 50. Most conventional thinking people would think I am insane! The most important thing is to be absolutely certain in your heart and mind that a pregnancy is possible for you--and this may mean not listening to anyone who is negative in even the slightest way. This is why I am not consulting medical doctors to "assist" me in becoming pregnant....also it is helpful to take a look at your family history. Did your mother, an aunt, grandmother have a baby after the age of 40 or 45? Are there any women in your family who did not experience menopause until their late 50's or even their 60's? I had an aunt who menstruating regularly well into her 60's--it was only very recently that I became "aware" of the statistic that the average age of menopause in the US is age 51. I thought for years that it was normal and possible for women to have children into their 50s and 60s, and I thought that the reason that women don't continue to have children was because they didn't want them at that age in this society. I think back now and realize that those beliefs I held all these years were healthy ones and probably in fact, extended my own fertile years. I am a mother of five children,the first was born when I was 22. My last child was born when I wasa few weeks shy of 39. It was a very easy conception,and a good pregnancy. I gave birth to my son who weighed 8 lbs. 12 oz. at full term at home, a planned homebirth with a midwife. My midwife told me I was one of her youngest clients--many of her cients were in their 40s and all planning homebirths. My husband has never had children of his own. We were married in 1998, I was 47 and he was 49, and we wanted to start a family right away. We have been ttc for then past 6 years. I will update in a few days and answer any questions.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.