<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Natural conception at 52 years of age.

November 19 2006 at 6:27 PM
mom again  (no login)

I am 52 and just found out that I am pregnant. I was preganant at 43, 33 and 19. Married, all resulted in healthy babies. At 19, my baby was born prematurely and weighed 2 pounds 5 ounces but was a healthy preemie and will turn 34 at then end of this year. With that pregnancy, I hemorraghed and labor was induced.

My next pregnancy when I was 33 lasted about 2-1/2 weeks "too long" and our son was delivered via c-section, but healthy. The doctors called him an "old baby", lol.

At the age of 43, I delivered our third baby which was very much a surprise pregnancy. The baby, a son, is healthy and also delivered via c-section. With both of those pregnancies, the boys were face up with the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck x2. I am also told that my pelvis is small.

Now, at the age of 52, when I never even imagined that I would ever be pregnant again, I am! I conceived naturally, I don't understand all the talk about how people think it can't be possible, that someone like me had to have had donor eggs or IVF. My husband is also 52. There is nothing special about us. I have always had a 28 - 29 day cycle and even felt ovulation recently - or so I thought. Guess it was true.

I did nothing special - no diets, herbs, pills, treatment and certainly wasn't trying to conceive. But here I am, pregnant. I have never felt old and do not think old, but I probably look my age... I feel healthy, very healthy indeed, and my husband and I have always carried out an an active life. I just have no idea why we have had one baby per decade, but with that in mind - and if we are alive and healthy come 10 more years - one of us will be fixed! We are not unhappy about this pregnancy and I already know that my husband is happy and going to be very supportive.

With no disrespect to another's belief, I am not particularly religous and do not believe there was any divine intervention or that this was any gods will. I respect that some people do feel this way, but I just don't. Scientifically, I had at least one more good egg, and my husband obviously "found" it! Ha! So now comes the wait, to see if this too will become a viable pregnancy and result in another healthy baby.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login AnnieNemus)
Forum Owner

Wonderful news

November 19 2006, 7:18 PM 

And, yes, "regular" conceptions do take place after 50, just not very often.  You're one of the lucky ones who didn't have to go through just about every medical intervention known to man.  I'm hoping for you that this pregnancy goes well for you. 

How far along are you?

Annie

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Wonderful news

November 19 2006, 7:46 PM 

Hello and thank you! As far as I know, I am just at 6 weeks (I used a preganancy wheel calculator) so will be calling around to find an OB/GYN.

More than you asked, but frankly, I was very surprised to learn I was pregnant because I had never given any thoughts to pregnancy at my age and never realized (until just now from reading) that there are women in their fifties who are trying to conceive. My heart goes out to them.

As soon as I suspected, I searched the web for pregnancy over 50, but could only find mention by younger women who were overly critical of anyone past the age of 30 being pregnant! I was stunned by that and when my test showed positive, my thoughts reverted to those posts and I immediately felt shame and began crying, telling my husband that I cannot do this at my age, people will laugh at us and make fun of us. I felt panic, I am certain, as my chest was tight and breathing felt like I was suffocating. He gently held my face in his hands telling me how much he loved me and said, "we will get through this, I am happy!" And he is! I fell asleep knowing that he would be supportive and awoke feeling like a renewed person.

Then I found these forums, and after reading, felt more at ease and definitely more comfortable. I just had no idea that pregnancy happened at my age, I had never read about it like this (my ignorance) and even my doctor has tried to blame medical situations on menopause, but did some test said it was not that afterall. However, he never warned me that I could get pregnant either! Ha!

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnieNemus)
Forum Owner

So sad that there are so many who are critical

November 20 2006, 8:06 AM 

Some people just never learned what is their business, and what isn't.  I was taught very early on that learning that difference was one of the greatest stress reducers of all.

You definitely have nothing to feel ashamed about.  Rather, just the opposite.  You should feel so proud. 

If you're not doing it already--go get yourself a bottle of prenatal vitamins and some folic acid and start taking them right away.  And, you're right to get to an ob-gyn very soon.  The sooner the better.  If you live near enough to a city to go to a major medical center, you might be better off there.  They're usually more used to dealing with older mothers and don't treat you like a disease, but just like any other mother-to-be.  In fact, my perinatologist (high-risk ob-gyn dr) told me at the outset that I definitely wasn't her oldest patient (and she did just fine).  Another good thing about a medical center is that if you do need high-risk care, it's right there and quickly available if needed.

I'm just so happy for you.  And, I'm so glad for you that you've got that great guy as a husband.  I'm sure he's going to be a great support, and a great daddy again.

Annie

Respond to this message   

(Login nabnownam)

Re: So sad that there are so many who are critical

December 11 2012, 12:26 PM 

Hi Annie!
Just wondering if you had a healthy baby later in life? Thanks

Respond to this message   
Val
(Login SurprisedMom)

That is wonderful news

May 26 2008, 8:05 PM 

Congratulations!
Have no concern over younger women being "exclusive" with regard to pregnancy. It's silly and they will learn that when they reach our status.

Currently, I'm 50, pregnant with twins and feeling pretty fabulous physically. I'm due in October and am humbled that life decided to give me the opportunity to be a first time Mom.

I'm glad that you have found this site and hope that you will continue to keep us informed as you progress!
Cheers,
Val

Respond to this message   

(Login nabnownam)

Re: That is wonderful news

December 11 2012, 12:27 PM 

Hi Val!
How did your pregnancy turn out? Healthy twins? Thanks

Respond to this message   
Catherine
(Login Catherine13)

how about you ?

February 11 2013, 12:19 AM 

apparently you are the most recent post . are you trying too ?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

I'm so happy

November 28 2006, 2:54 PM 

I'm so happy to hear about your conception at the ripe young age of 52. Forget the naysayers-I suspect they may be a tad bit jealous and/or fearful-neither of which has a place in this pregnancy experience.

Your news makes me particularly joyful and reaffirms my "gut" feeling that being in your 50s is not too old to conceive. We're close to the same age and it is my fervent prayer to be able to have a baby. Problem is I am not currently married nor in a committed relationship. Heck, I'm not even dating! . . . but that's another story for another time (lol)!!!!

Best of everything to you and your family!

Respond to this message   

(Login eliza119)

Love the gut feelings

November 27 2011, 2:12 AM 

Dear MCAM - You are amazing - miracles happen moment by moment... just keep focusing on your gut feelings. I see you married, pregnant, loved and adored.. and then happily in a family.

You can do this!

Respond to this message   

(Login jb136)

Re: Amen!

April 18 2014, 1:02 AM 

mcam, I also feel the same way. I'm barely dating after being widowed, and I'm praying that I can have a baby somehow. I just read that men can have vasectomies and not tell a woman so that kind of shocked me a little bit! So now I'm trying to figure out how to ask a guy if he would do a semen analysis.

This message has been edited by jb136 on Apr 19, 2014 9:42 PM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Congratulations

November 28 2006, 5:07 PM 

You have truly made my day!

I turned 51 years old on September 20, 2006. I got married when I was 19 years old. I had my first child when I was 21 years old and another child when I was 23 years old. I was married to my husband for 30 years and loved him dearly. He passed away from pancreatic cancer in December 2005.

I thought my husband would be the only true love in my life. But in February 2006, quite by accident (Rendevous of the Queen Mary's in Long Beach, California), I met a wonderful man. His birthday is one day after mine, September 21. He has never been married nor has he ever had a child.

I am in love with him and I dream of having a child with him. He has curly blonde hair and the most beautiful blue eyes and wonderful smile. He is so talented, too. Most people would think that I am crazy! Your story has given me hope to not give up on an idea such as this.

I believe that your story came to me today because I needed to keep believing! I believe in divine intervention and you are an angel sent to me. With the Lord, all things are possible.

Congratulations to you and your husband. I am sure your child will be beautiful and feel blessed to have the both of you as parents.

Have a wonderful day!

Francesca

Respond to this message   

(Login datdavido)

Same boat as you

June 29 2008, 6:21 PM 

I am in the same situation as you I was married for 25 years I have 3 children. I divorced my husband then I met the love of my life in 2005 we got married in 2007 I want nothing more than to have his baby. We are both 53. Wow it's great to find someone who is thinking the same crazy thing as I am. It would have to be natural we can't afford fertility drugs or invitro. I am going to start trying. I have an IUD so I am having it removed in July. Wish me luck and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Respond to this message   
Catherine
(Login Catherine13)

same here

February 11 2013, 12:07 AM 

could you share your experience ? I'm turning 50, also have an IUD, considering to be mom once more after 13 years.

Respond to this message   
Patti
(no login)

Me too... at 50

December 23 2006, 6:13 PM 

I just got married in September, and just found out that I am pregnant. I had my last baby at age 31, in 1987. Like you, I also conceived naturally - I thought my cycle had stopped due to menopause as it had stopped for nearly a year twice before. Surprise! I'm due in June.

Respond to this message   

(Login AnnieNemus)
Forum Owner

Fantastic news

December 23 2006, 7:19 PM 

So glad to hear about your pregnancy.  You'll have to keep us all updated as things progress.  You must be beaming.

Annie

Respond to this message   

(Login bsalina)

How is the bay?

January 20 2007, 11:08 AM 

I read your response and wanted to know how is the baby?

Respond to this message   

(Login bsalina)

Baby due in June

January 20 2007, 11:09 AM 

Sorry about that I just realized that your baby isnt due until June.

Respond to this message   

(Login datdavido)

More hope

June 29 2008, 6:23 PM 

Wow I am so excited to read more than one entry about women getting pregnant naturally at 52 I am 53 and after reading all of these entries I have some hope thank you all so much!!

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Wow there is hope

January 21 2007, 3:36 PM 

Were you trying to get pregnant?

Respond to this message   
Hanna12
(Login Hanna12)

updates?

May 26 2008, 12:46 AM 

any updates on these stories?

age 45.5 FSH 16.3

Respond to this message   
Val
(Login SurprisedMom)

UpDates?

May 26 2008, 8:09 PM 

I just realized that the above story about natural conception was written in November. Sorry for responding so enthusiastically to an out of date post.

I know I,too, would love to know more.

Hope you all are well and enjoy spring (if that's what's happening in your corner of the world).
Again,
Cheers,
Val

Respond to this message   
Hann12
(Login Hanna12)

November 2006

May 27 2008, 6:12 PM 

not 2007--so the child would be almost 1 now.

age 45.5 FSH 16.3

Respond to this message   

(Login datdavido)

Hoping

June 29 2008, 6:07 PM 

I am 53 and even though it sounds crazy I would like to have another baby I married my soulmate a year ago and I love him so much that I would like to have his baby. After reading what you wrote I have hope. Any insights, suggestions. Do you think it's possible??

Respond to this message   

(Login Cat_Watt)
Forum Moderator

Welcome MaryAnn!

June 30 2008, 9:58 AM 

I am 54y, and still hoping though it's been a long journey since I had an accidental pregnancy with my new husband at 49y, which we lost the baby at 8w. My latest loss was at 15w in October at 53y, and sadly there are more days lately that I feel like giving up this dream than others.

But I do think it's possible, if you are still ovulating, still cycling, and especially if you've had children before. The chances can be a lot lower at our age, and the miscarriage rate is much higher, so it's not for the weak of heart, this journey!

I think the hardest thing about TTCing over 50 without medical assistance, is truly accepting that you may not end up with a baby in the end (of course that could happen even with assistance!).

If you can accept that, then welcome to this wonderful, scary roller coaster ride!!

----------------------------------------
~*~ Catherine

Life Begins... - blog on miscarriage
http://born2luv.blogspot.com/

4,650 Stories of Pregnancy & Birth over 44y - Daily blog of inspiration & hope!
http://pregnancyover44y.blogspot.com/

Pregnancy Stories By Age - 43-56+yrs old! - All the stories, divided by age, 1st pregnancy, high FSH
http://pregnancystories.blogspot.com/

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's
- Sharing articles, discussing options & suggestions.
http://youcangetpregnant.blogspot.com

"In 2005, there were more than 104,000 births in the United States to women ages 40 through 44, and over 6,500 to women 45 and older. In 2004, there were 1,786 live births to women over 42, using donor eggs."

Respond to this message   

(Login datdavido8)

Thanks for the support

June 30 2008, 6:52 PM 

Thanks for the words of encouragement some days I think I am crazy, others I think this could really happen!!

Respond to this message   
Katy
(Login Katy248)

What Wonders In Biology

July 5 2008, 8:46 PM 

Hello:
It's silly. As a gardener, I see all types of reproduction cycles. Nature is so diverse that even within a species of a plant, there can be different reproduction cycles.

It looks like Mother Nature gave you a ten-year cycle. I'm sure if you had pushed it (like years of targeted sex, etc.) you could have found a shorter time span in-between. But, left naturally, your body produced one every 10.

I find it interesting that my sister produces one every two years - also like clockwork.

Then there's my friend who found herself pregnant again while still nursing. Her kids are 12 months apart. That was sure a rapid fire cycle.

Thank you for your message of support. I hope you stay with us during your pregnancy. It's so encouraging to us. I sure do hope to be joining you soon.

Katy

Respond to this message   
Hope2009
(Login Hope2009)

Congratualations!! I would love to have an update....m,

November 27 2011, 2:49 PM 

I'm one of those women who have been pg later in my 40's but sadly I either lost the pgcies early....chemicals...or my last longer pgcy was m/c'd at 8 weeks when I was almost 45.

As long as you are still ovulating there is a possibility to get pg. My fSH LEVEL was consistently very low...the last time I had a test I was 47 and it was 4 or 5. Also when I was moving forward with donor eggs and went to my clinic to have a hysterscopy to check my lining...my Dr. casually said, Hope you still have some eggs maturing...those words grabbed me and I thought...well why not try on my own try again...but we didn't.

I knew that my journey using my own eggs had come to an end...for me...although there is always the off chance of success, I didn't want to wait any longer. I wanted to give myself the best chance of having another baby...in my case 3 more....and that was using DE's.

I wish you all the best with your pgcy though...and pray you and the baby are healthy and all goes well. This does give the over 50 set hope...I THINK as we stay healthy well into our 50's, we will see more and more of this..although there is small percentage of women who are actually open to being pg later in life. For instance, most of my friends's DH's have had a vasectomy so they would never know if they could be fertile.

Also, my last baby born when I was 43 was also in a posterior position at birth with her cord wrapped around her neck twice...after delivering her there were long moments as I waited for her to take her first breath and start pinking up...I thought GREAT,,,we went through so much to have her and then she is taken....those first cries were music to my ears.

Thankfully, my body type is apparently made for birthing babies or one of my Ob GNYS told me at one time so she was delivered vaginally. As were my almost 10pound baby when I was 49...and my twins when I was 51. As long as they make it safely onto the earth and we are here to enjoy them...isn't that all that matters.

So it would be great to get an update....one way or another. Blessings from Hope

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   

(Login babaroush)

Re: Congratualations!! I would love to have an update....m,

July 30 2013, 8:22 PM 

I have posted a few messages this evening, as I have just discovered this site and I want to share that I discovered I have found out that I am pregnant at 50 years old. I am feeling very emotional as I went to the doctor to talk about a termination but this just seems like a miracle, and I think if I "got rid" of this baby I would regret it forever. I really don't want to and I love the logo "allow miracles to happen" I am so glad I logged on before I went to bed, I am going to keep this baby, so glad I found you.

Respond to this message   
Silverbackmama
(Login silverbackmama)

Welcome and congratulations!

July 30 2013, 9:29 PM 

What a wonderful miracle. I am so happy for you and glad that you have found the group. It is comforting to know there are other moms who are in their 50s and having babies. Do you have other children?

This message has been edited by silverbackmama on Jul 30, 2013 9:29 PM

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

People think it's impossible, because . . .

November 28 2011, 4:04 PM 

They have the mistaken impression that no women get pregnant over 45 b/c most women have had their kids and are frequently on the pill, which also helps alleviate the symptoms of perimenopause, till they're menopausal. People assume you must have had help if you're pg over 45, because most women will need help to get pg at that age, and they don't understand that what they think is "natural" is the result of birth control. I am wishing you great luck and that this will be a viable pregnancy. You have a remarkable pregnancy record! Take care, Maggie (in VA)

Respond to this message   

(Login hjones1)

I just read your post :)

June 12 2012, 10:00 PM 

Hello,
I hope it's not too long between when you posted so many years ago, til now to ask you how your pregnancy at age 52 turned out for you and your baby? (I've only just stumbled on this site).

I am 50 and in a relatively new relationship. I have only had one child previously, when I was 26, and had a miscarriage to a 'husband' when I was 42. Now, I am in a truly loving, caring relationship that is leading to a solid marriage. I would love to think I could have another child, but everyone tells me that the 'window of opportunity has passed'. I don't know whether I want to choose to believe that. I know I probably shouldn't plan on a pregnancy, and even my partner says this (he's just turned 46 and has never had a child - but would love one, I know).

So, I hope you wouldn't mind getting in touch if all conducive; it would be wonderful to have an encouraging word or two at this time - even if it is just to know that the 'impossible can be possible'.

Many thanks and I do hope that all went well for you,
Heather happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(Login Kenny2006)

*** THE ORIGINAL POST IS FROM NOVEMBER 2006 *** nt

June 12 2012, 10:17 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login Raindrops1)

Wow, this is exciting news.

June 14 2012, 4:35 PM 

Congratulations! I hope you get into your doctor very soon as you might need a little progesterone boost. Women of advanced maternal age often have lower progesterone levels. I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Respond to this message   
FL Gal
(Login FLGal)

RD, this post was from 11/06; the baby would be 5 now...

June 14 2012, 4:44 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Raindrops1)

Thanks FL Gal!

June 15 2012, 4:58 PM 

I'm not usually on this board and didn't think to check the original date! Now I see how it got moved up to current. Oh well.......I was just so excited about a natural prenancy at this age.

Respond to this message   

(Login reielisa)

Re: Wow, this is exciting news.

September 7 2013, 1:16 PM 

Congratulations, I am turning 50 in feb, 2014. I have been trying for more than 5 years, clomid, but no luck. Any recomendations, Doctors, treatments, pills?

Respond to this message   

(Login behrcat)

this could be me!

November 28 2012, 9:18 PM 

This will be my first pregnancy. I am 52. Have only been married a year. I could be pregnant. I have had maybe three period this year. But recently had a normal period. I have every symptom but breast tender ness. Bad headaches. Nausea. Dizziness. Extremely exhausted. Considered Clomid but decided against it. Thanks. Your story blesses me. Please keep I

n touch. I. need all the encouragment I can get. Nervous about taking a test, don't want to see another ne gative test

This message has been edited by behrcat on Nov 28, 2012 9:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Marie
(Login bzgmomma)

51 and wanting a baby

October 2 2013, 3:56 AM 

Hello,

I've been reading all the stories on this site so I decided to start an account. I am 51 with 2 children 32, 29 and 4 grandchildren. My Husband and I find ourselves wanting to have another baby, I can't even mention this to the rest of the family they will have us committed LOL! Researching tubal reversals in Mexico..Any thoughts? I'm I crazy?

Marie

Respond to this message   
birdy1600
(Login birdy1602)

post independent of this one if you can

October 2 2013, 9:00 PM 

you are FINE good on ya for thinking of having another I just turned 50 and my babies are three years old and 8 months old. I can direct you to many supportive sites for women choosing to have babies. And Hope on this board is total inspiration. So is FlGal. They ROCK. they all do!

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login everflex)

Inspired

December 12 2013, 1:14 PM 

Hi!!! Read that you are 50+, presently pregnant, and already have a 3yr old and an 8 month old. I am truly inspired. I am considering raising the prospect with my 51 year old partner that we, too, have a child.

You say you have many supportive sites for older women thinking of becoming pregnant...do share!

Further, where all your pregnancies "assisted" with supplements, etc.

Thanks.

Please

Respond to this message   

(Login Jupiter-2)

Supportive Sites

January 8 2014, 9:06 AM 

Hi birdy,

I was hoping you could help with the names of some of those supportive sites you mentioned. I turned 50 in November and haven't had much luck finding support for someone of my age trying to conceive. Congrats on your two little ones!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login Jupiter-2)

Re: Supportive Sites

January 8 2014, 9:09 AM 

This message has been edited by Jupiter-2 on Jan 8, 2014 9:11 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login reenie777)

Same Here

October 3 2013, 8:35 PM 

I have hope after reading all of these stories. I also just turned 51 in Sep. and have a 30 year old and 17 year old, am remarried and wanting a child with the love of my life.

Respond to this message   
silverbackmama
(Login silverbackmama)

You are not crazy!

October 9 2013, 1:26 PM 

I think your feelings are what they are and you are fortunate to have a husband that feels that way too. Follow your dream whether others understand it or not. I am considerably older than you are and started the fertility journey almost 4 years ago. I had married someone who had never been married and had no children. My only child passed away less than a year after the wedding but not before encouraging me to have children with my new husband. Today we have 2 sons - 16 months old and 1 month old. My only regret is that my oldest son is not here to play with and hold his two younger brothers.

Respond to this message   

(Login jb136)

Is it possible?

April 16 2014, 10:40 PM 

To you wives with cooperative husbands, you should be thankful! I'm in a brand new relationship and I hoping it moves fast enough (or often enough) for it to happen! I'm 50.

Respond to this message   

(Login nabnownam)

How was your pregnancy

December 11 2012, 12:23 PM 

Hi there. I read this with great interest and I was wondering how your pregnancy turned out? Thank you.

Respond to this message   

(Login suprised56)

Illicet sex

September 13 2013, 9:22 AM 

I had an affair that lasted one night with my old boyfriend from before I married my husband, when he dumped me the first time I had an abortion, he recently got in touch with me which surprised me and I got sneaky and meet with him without my husband in tow, we had a fast night, a nasty confrontation the next morning.
I have not had children by my husband because he has trouble with controlling his mouth so, I did not allow it. I have been waking up every day and losing everything in my system for the last few weeks so Tuesday I went to see my doctor, she just called and congratulated me on being about four months pregnant, I am devastated. The child is not my husbands, I notified my old boyfriend about his baby, already this morning. I asked the Doctor about an abortion, she said to late, I am out of the first three months, my husband doesn't know yet because he is in cardiac rehab for a MRSA lesion on his heart opening up and just about killed him. The doctor says that most women my age that had not had children would be delighted to have a baby, until I explained the situation to her. She is very sorry for me and said the wages of sin are to be caught up.
She also says that she believed my husband would not hold it against the child for its conception, but to expect that I would be held accountable for the conception. I am going to also file a paternity suit. Now I have to tell my mother and my husband. I expect this will be a day that I will regret forever.

Respond to this message   
Maggie in VA
(Login maggie1961)

Cally, please think carefully . . .

September 13 2013, 12:41 PM 

Yes, it's too late to have an abortion, but please consider all your options. Are you truly happy in your marriage? It doesn't sound like it. The doctor's comment was inappropriate. Is there any chance this child could be your husband's? Do you want this child? You will not have a problem finding adoptive parents for this child, if you wish.

Please tell us how things turn out!

Maggie (in VA)

This message has been edited by maggie1961 on Sep 13, 2013 12:41 PM

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Natural conception at 52 years of age.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on FertilityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement