Go back  

Personal background, character and reputation

March 13 2009 at 2:45 PM
Finance Department  (Login Finance_Department)
Veteran Member

Response to The Definition of "Personal Attack"

I believe the public has the right to know the background, good or bad, about those who seek to be leaders or outspoken authorities in cryonics (or most anything else, for that matter). The character and reputation of such a person should be factored into the decision made by others as to that person's credibility, dependability, and integrity.

In that regard I believe it was quite appropriate for someone, finally, to initiate discussion about Melody's background. Each individual can then form a personal opinion on whether this type of criminal record is relevent to her further working in perfusion, or in cryonics. And also to the credibility of her remarks about cryonics. Personally, I do not think it is relevent to any of those things, but everyone should have the right, and the information, to make up their own minds about it. Same goes with Jordan - people should be aware of the Oregon Cryonics details that he has abandoned. Folks should know about that in the event that he resumes any such activities and whether they should take him seriously.

Perhaps the most serious example in the past on this forum was all the discussions about Bob Nelson. Should we have refused to allow discussion of all the patients that got thawed out under his auspices, since that by some people's definition would be a "personal attack"? I think not.

FD

P.S. Yes I had suspected that the subthread deletion might happen, and did save the lengthy post from Melody giving her explanation of the incident in question, as well as her post replying to my questions. If anyone wants these, I feel they have the right to read them, and will email them to anyone on request. knotwiller@gmail.com

Responses

Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement