Go back  

The Rights of the Individual

August 16 2009 at 1:59 PM
Melody Maxim  (Login melmax)
Filtered User

Response to Appalling...

"Has the man even heard of cryonics?

Would he really choose certain death over possible rejuvenation? Someone talk him out of this insanity!"

I still don't understand why some cryonicists feel the need to inflict their own desires upon others. If you want others to respect your wishes, it's only fair that you should respect theirs. If Mr. Rossiter was aware of Luke's post he might say, "That Luke fellow is going straight to hell, with this cryonics nonsense. He needs to receive his last rites, and prepare to meet his maker, when he's in my situation." And, the funny thing is, neither one can prove the other wrong. (This was just a hypothetical situation, I have no idea what Mr. Rossiter's religious beliefs are, I'm simply intolerant of intolerance. wink.gif )

I have not only heard of cryonics, but have worked in the industry. Being familiar with the level of patient care given at remote locations, and not being willing to relocate to Arizona or Michigan, I'd rather be cremated than to fund what I feel is some very expensive incompetence that probably only results in additional damage that is beyond repair. (I'm not a big believer in future extreme nanotech repairs that can restore a brain that has been abused past a certain point. Others may have differing opinions. Regardless, everyone has the right to choose for him/her self.)

"Now that he has the chance to die under controlled circumstances, he can get the best possible cryonics treatment."

From whom?

"He could be alive, laughing and playing football in a few decades."

Not likely, in my opinion. That's probably what the Alcorians were saying, 30 years ago, and I don't believe the quality of cryonics patient care, today, even begins to approach the level of care that existed in conventional medicine's hypothermic procedures, back then.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement