Go back  

Melody's comment only makes me wonder about her common sense

October 21 2009 at 1:23 PM
Finance Department  (Login Finance_Department)
Veteran Member

Response to FD Stayed up Too Late, Last Night

Melody: [FD...you appeared to be having a nervous breakdown, thinking about my letters to regulatory agencies, and now you endorse a wealthy version of Mathew moving cryonics into a medical clinic? That's quite a contradiction!!!]

Clearly it is one thing to cause trouble for organizations that are struggling to fulfill their purpose, against such things as limited resources and the support of misdirected individuals. Melody would likely not think it is necessary to send rat mail about an organization that is conducting its affairs in a professional manner, adhering to medical standards, existing regulations, etc. Any logical reason for her objection (as well as the one from PhilO above) escapes me entirely.

[Other than maybe starting an IV once in a while, no one is going to be able to "brush up" on the skills of cannulation and perfusion, at a non-emergency clinic.]

And why not? Obviously it would be an additional function that would need to be supported by facilities, supplies, enough people, etc. In a back room away from the flow of non-emergency patients.

[Most people aren't going to go to a clinic where appointments are sometimes cancelled, so the staff can "freeze a dead person," so I doubt the staff would get much practice of ANY kind...]

See above on the "practice". As to whether people would go to the clinic, I have trouble figuring why a few appointments rescheduled the few times a year a cryonics case arrived, would be a deterrent. Doctor's offices cancel appointments all the time for things like meetings/training, absence due to illness, or even a sudden vacation. Really no need for the public to be aware of the cryonics activity either. That could be done under a separate company to which some of the employees of our hypothetical non-emergency clinic are contracted for services.

[... and the clinic would be very unlikely to support itself. I don't think this idea would ever even get off the ground, much less fly.]

We are starting with the assumption of a clinic that is fully supported by whatever non-emergency specialty it focuses on (e.g., dermatology). If you build it, they will come. Whether its business is successful or not would have entirely to do with how it is run, and nothing to do with the fact that some of its employees are contracted to do cryonics services to a separate company,.

I know I'm expanding on Mathew's idea here, by suggesting the cryonics activity be a separate company to which some of the clinic's employees are contracted. I think the wisdom in structuring it that way is pretty obvious.

No one of a mind such as Melody's seems to have any problem with the idea of using, say, perfusionists from a professional organization, to perform cryonics services. What on earth is the matter, then, with using a fuller range of professionals from a medical facility that does only non-emergency services as their primary function, and drops everything to do a cryonics case maybe once or twice a year??

Mathew provides a solution to the "professionals sitting around doing nothing waiting for months for a cryonics case to appear" problem. If Melody doesn't like his, WHAT IS HER SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?

FD

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement