Go back  

Sloppy Patent Work - Critical Care Research

November 2 2009 at 8:20 AM
Melody Maxim  (Login melmax)
Filtered User

I didn't read past the first few paragraphs, (and probably won't, because like most patent applications, I find this one tedious), but there are numerous simple errors in the WIPO liquid ventilation patent applied for by CCR, with Charles Platt, Steve Harris (Critical Care Research) and Gary Battiato (Suspended Animation), as the inventors.http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2009042220&IA=US2008011224&DISPLAY=DESC

"PORTABLE APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF HEAT EXCHANGE IN THE LUNGS OF A MAMMAL

Related Application

[0001] This application is related to and claims the benefit under 35 U.S.C. ยง 119(e) of U.S. Provisional Application No. 60/995,499, filed September 27, 2007.

Technical Field

[0002] This application relates to devices for rapidly reversing hypothermia (NOTE: should be "hyperthermia.") in mammals.

Background

[0003] There are many situations in both human and veterinary medicine where it is desirable to rapidly reverse hyperthermia. There are also many clinical situations where it is essential to be able to rapidly reduce dangerously elevated body temperatures to near normal, as in the case of hyperthermia from heat stroke, drug or surgical anesthetic reaction, and febrile illness secondary to stroke, infection, or other illness. (NOTE: Seems redundant, the first sentence essentially states the same thing as the second, with less detail.)...

[0004] This application refers to and incorporates herein by reference U.S. Patent No. 6,694,977, titled Mixed-Mode Liquid Ventilation Gas and Heat Exchange (hereinafter "MMLV patent"), in which a method of Mixed-Mode Liquid Ventilation ("MMLV") and a device ("Prior Device") for the administration of MMLV is disclosed for rapidly inducing or reversing hypothermia. (Note: Unless the device also warms, this should be "rapidly inducing hypothermia or reversing hyperthermia.")...The inventors of the present apparatus have discovered, however, that when the purpose of the MMLV is to only induce hyperthermia (NOTE: Should be "hypothermia.") in order to decrease core mammalian temperature..."

As I already stated, I didn't make it past the first few paragraphs, but this looks pretty sloppy. Also, if I recall correctly, there have been a number of patents applied for, with Harris' name on them, several of them in the 1990's. I could be wrong, but I think only one issued. Life Extension Foundation's magazine stated that, with the exception of portability, this device was ready, back in February 2000, so they were working on it prior to that time. My guess is, LEF has invested seven figures in this device, (most of it man hours paid to people like Harris and Platt). Will cryonics, or conventional medicine, ever benefit from the use of this device, or will the only benefit derived from it be the monies paid to the inventors, for the hours they put into this project, and not from sales of the item, itself? Will we all be sitting here, ten years from now, asking, "Whatever happened to that LV device Critical Care Research was trying to patent?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement