Go back  

Target market

June 29 2010 at 1:07 AM
Luke Parrish  (Login lsparrish)

Response to Hey, how about

Regarding your assessment of the target market:

1. A lot of money: Any middle class american who is young and healthy can easily afford it through life insurance.
2. A lot of hope: You can have extreme doubts about it working and still determine that it is in your rational self interest, or a positive social signal, to at least make an attempt.
3. Not too high of standards: The information preservation standard for cryonics is higher than funeral service, even in the worst of cases. Really, "do nothing" is not that hard to beat. If you want competition it has to be between cryonics approaches, not versus the status quo which is pretty much "lie down and die when your time comes".

Your vision of "professional, high tech medical solution, comparable to fees charged" is laudable, as are all such noble aspirations. But in the ridiculously low quantities that cryonics is selling in, I don't see it happening. Right now we are slaves to supply and demand, and the the diseconomies inherent in doing something big on a small scale.

I really do want to see a competitive, well-oiled machine for making sure all patients get the absolute best of care, by empirically backed standards, with lots of transparency and professionalism. But in order for that to happen, it seems to me more people need to get over their fear of the unknown and commit to cryonics in the first place.

You confess the idea itself isn't so bad. But you haven't actually committed to it yourself, not even contingent on it being improved to some specified or unspecified standard.

So here's my question for you. Will you endorse cryonics wholeheartedly if it meets some particular level of excellence in patient care? Is there some (presumably higher) level of care at which you would venture to sign up yourself?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement