<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go back  

Cold Filter Archives Available for Download

October 4 2009 at 11:16 PM
Finance Department  (Login Finance_Department)
Veteran Member

Thanks much to those who wrote me with suggestions on file hosting sites. I'm using the first one I tried.

I have uploaded the Cold Filter Archive covering April 2004 (inception) through December 2007 to the following location from which you may download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/287209197/ColdFilterDec07.zip
Click on "Free User" (unless you are a Premium User)
Wait for the timer to count down
Click on the Download button, follow any prompts

This particular archive was done nearly 2 years ago, and has been posted a couple of other places before. With the exception of about a month overlap, the posts in it are no longer on the active Network54 forum.

I have also uploaded the Cold Filter Archive covering December 2007 through September 2009, to the following location from which you may download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/288784916/ColdFilterSep09.zip

This is basically an archive of what is currently on the Network54 site, so most folks will not really need it. I'd like to see many download and save it, just as a precaution to things like Network54 going out of business, and such. The more distributed the backups are, the less likely the historical record will be lost.

If I get around to it, I will also make available a similar archive of the old Cryonics Cafe N54 forum which largely predates Cold Filter. I might be better motivated to do this if I get a lot of requests for it by private email.

The April 2004 (inception) through December 2007 Archive is about a 42MB download, zipped. The December 2007 through September 2009 Archive is about 20MB, zipped.

Unzipping may take some time - go out to eat and come back. The reason it takes so long is that Network54 puts every message and every thread in its own folder, which takes a long time to unzip. Do not try just left-clicking on the zip file to get Windows to open it - your window will "hang" and there is no point to doing it, as you need the unzipped folder to use a browser with. Use a good program like Winzip, Winrar, or 7zip to unzip it. If you encounter a "password protected" file, just Skip it. I have no idea about it otherwise.

To use the Archive file, you need a browser that is capable of browsing local links (files on your computer). None of the popular browsers such as IE or Firefox will navigate the links between pages and messages. I recommend for this the small browser "OffByOne" (OB1), that navigates the local links correctly. The install program for this browser can be obtained free here if you want it:

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

(N.B.: I do not recommend using "OB1" for internet browsing. There is a reason the popular browsers do not do local links well - they are disabled from it as a security measure so that a malevolent web page on the net that you pull up, cannot in turn try to surf your computer. Use OB1 only to surf your local computer's files.)

The most recent page has the filename "page-1". Since the filename does not have an extension, you will need to set your OB1 search window to "Files of Type: All Files". Or rename all the page files to end in .html, your fun.

Anyone having trouble with any of this, please post to this thread only, or email me: Knotwiller@gmail.com

The following things work well with "OB1" browsing the ColdFilter archive: (1) Displaying all of the main pages showing the links to the messages. Just use "OB1" browser to "Open" the ColdFilter folder you have downloaded. In the dropdown menu "Files of type:" select "All Files". Pick the page you want to see. (2) Selecting any message directly from any of the pages, to display.* (3) The "View Entire Thread" links on any of the pages.

Some things that do not work using "OB1" browser for the ColdFilter archive: (1) Clicking on a "Responses" link at the bottom of a message. Go back to the main page and click on it there instead. (2) Clicking on new pages at the bottom of any page. Open the "ColdFilter" folder again and click on the file for the page you want, there.

Some techies will undoubtedly know how to fix their browser of choice to surf their local links. If you do not turn the feature back off before going out on the internet, your system is in danger.

I am open to ideas on how to improve this archive's functionality and accessibility, without going to a lot of trouble.

*There are (I hope only) a handful of messages that for some weird reason I do not have the time to research individually, do not link correctly to the main page that references them. If you get a message error, do not despair - the message is there. Just search the archive folder for the message number, using the Windows (or other operating system) search function.

Cheers,

FD

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Person who needs the archive
(no login)

The archive links are dead.

January 9 2010, 6:58 AM 

The archive links are dead. Could you please post new links?

Respond to this message   
Finance Department
(Login Finance_Department)
Veteran Member

Here are the updated links

January 9 2010, 12:12 PM 

Let me know if they do not work, or stop working.

http://rapidshare.com/files/333040489/ColdFilterDec07.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/333040490/ColdFilterSep09.zip

FD
knotwiller@gmail.com

This message has been edited by Finance_Department on Jan 10, 2010 11:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Caliban
(no login)

Seems to have stopped working

February 13 2010, 9:03 PM 

thanks

Respond to this message   
Finance Department
Veteran Member

I'll fix it again, and post here when it's ready

February 16 2010, 12:49 PM 

EOM

Respond to this message   
Finance Department
Veteran Member

Not Broken

February 17 2010, 11:25 PM 

I just downloaded both files from the links previously provided, which are:

http://rapidshare.com/files/333040489/ColdFilterDec07.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/333040490/ColdFilterSep09.zip

Unless you paid to be a Premium user, you have to:

Click on Free User
Wait for the timer to count down to zero
Click on Download again

If you get a message about the server being overloaded, try again at a different hour.

If you can get one file but not the other, try the other over 24 hours later. The Dec 07 one is what you most need; the other one is still online the real Network54 forum.

Sorry it isn't easier, but nobody pays me to archive this important cryonics history, and since there are multitudes of free servers, I don't pay them for any better one either.

Thanks,

FD

Respond to this message   
Charles Platt
(Login cplatt)
Veteran Member

easy

July 21 2010, 6:14 AM 

I found it easy enough if I paid the $6 or $7 for fast download. This seems a reasonable price to me.

Respond to this message   
Finance Department
Veteran Member

Cold Filter Archives Again Available for Download

July 20 2010, 5:45 PM 

I have re-uploaded the Cold Filter Archive covering April 2004 (inception) through December 2007 to the following location from which you may download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/408025744/ColdFilterDec07.zip
Click on "Free User" (unless you are a Premium User)
Wait for the timer to count down
Click on the Download button, follow any prompts

With the exception of about a month overlap, the posts in the above archive are no longer on the active Network54 forum.

I have also re-uploaded the Cold Filter Archive covering December 2007 through September 2009, to the following location from which you may download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/408030728/ColdFilterSep09.zip

This is basically an archive of what is currently on the Network54 site, through September 2009. I have not taken the time yet to do all the modifications needed to a new archive to make it useable, but hope to do so soon.

The April 2004 (inception) through December 2007 Archive is about a 42MB download, zipped. The December 2007 through September 2009 Archive is about 20MB, zipped.

Unzipping may take some time - go out to eat and come back. The reason it takes so long is that Network54 puts every message and every thread in its own folder, which takes a long time to unzip. Do not try just left-clicking on the zip file to get Windows to open it - your window will "hang" and there is no point to doing it, as you need the unzipped folder to use a browser with. Use a good program like Winzip, Winrar, or 7zip to unzip it. If you encounter a "password protected" file, just Skip it. I have no idea about it otherwise.

To use the Archive file, you need a browser that is capable of browsing local links (files on your computer). None of the popular browsers such as IE or Firefox will navigate the links between pages and messages. I recommend for this the small browser "OffByOne" (OB1), that navigates the local links correctly. The install program for this browser can be obtained free here if you want it:

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

(N.B.: I do not recommend using "OB1" for internet browsing. There is a reason the popular browsers do not do local links well - they are disabled from it as a security measure so that a malevolent web page on the net that you pull up, cannot in turn try to surf your computer. Use OB1 only to surf your local computer's files.)

The most recent page has the filename "page-1". Since the filename does not have an extension, you will need to set your OB1 search window to "Files of Type: All Files". Or rename all the page files to end in .html, your fun.

Anyone having trouble with any of this, please post to this thread only, or email me: Knotwiller@gmail.com

The following things work well with "OB1" browsing the ColdFilter archive: (1) Displaying all of the main pages showing the links to the messages. Just use "OB1" browser to "Open" the ColdFilter folder you have downloaded. In the dropdown menu "Files of type:" select "All Files". Pick the page you want to see. (2) Selecting any message directly from any of the pages, to display.* (3) The "View Entire Thread" links on any of the pages.

Some things that do not work using "OB1" browser for the ColdFilter archive: (1) Clicking on a "Responses" link at the bottom of a message. Go back to the main page and click on it there instead. (2) Clicking on new pages at the bottom of any page. Open the "ColdFilter" folder again and click on the file for the page you want, there.

Some techies will undoubtedly know how to fix their browser of choice to surf their local links. If you do not turn the feature back off before going out on the internet, your system is in danger.

I am open to ideas on how to improve this archive's functionality and accessibility, without going to a lot of trouble.

*There are (I hope only) a handful of messages that for some weird reason I do not have the time to research individually, do not link correctly to the main page that references them. If you get a message error, do not despair - the message is there. Just search the archive folder for the message number, using the Windows (or other operating system) search function.

Cheers,

FD

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go back  
Find more forums on Science and TechnologyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement