DOS support for Macintosh

This web forum is a site for the now defunct Apple MacDOScard. For three years, this existed as the MacDOScard mailing list but as more firewalls showed up and disallowed email into them - I feel that a web-based forum would be more appropriate. Hence the creation of this web site. Very soon, the MacDOScard mailing list will cease the exist. Current deadline for off-line is end September 1999.

Reply Corporation LCIAL6520106 DOM Card

by (Login synacknet)

I've gotten a Reply Corporation DOM card with the markings above. It also has ASSY 05012700.
The card came with no cables, so I was wondering if anyone knew what they were.
The card has a DB15 connection, which I'm guessing is a PC joystick port and not an Apple monitor connector.
It also has a high density 68pin connector similar to the SCSI high density 50pin connector.
And last, on the card in the far back, it has a female card edge connector, 22pins. When mounted on Performa 6200, this card edge connector is the exact same as the logic board's Video Out connection, and is directly above it.
I'm guessing this does not actually go to the logic board's Video Out but rather to the board's Video In connector. If this is the case, does anyone have the pinouts of such a cable?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted on Oct 28, 2009, 7:52 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

How do you install DOS on PC card?

by (Login beagley)

My Mac Quadra 950 just died so I am trying to move my Rely DOS compatibility card to a Quadra 800. I installed the card, the Mac software, and the monitor cable. The PC starts but does not have an operating system. For some reason it will not recognize the DOS installation disk. I have tried inserting it before booting the PC. I have tried ctrl alt del to reboot it when the disk is already in the drive. The disk is ok (mounts on the Mac desktop.) Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009, 9:52 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Disk really ok?

by Oliver S. (Login oliver_s)

Hi there!

I could imagine that the disk - while it suceeds in mounting on the Mac desktop - is not really ok. Maybe some file like Command.com or so is damaged / missing. Possibly you could try on a PC, if the 3 DOS disks can boot a PC. If this works, the disks should boot the DOS card.

Another option would possibly be: If your Quadra 950 died, what is it in detail that died. Maybe the old harddrive with your old drive container is still ok. You could hook the 950's drive to the 800 (and move the container file to the hard drive of the 800) and try to boot without re-installing...

Good luck,
oli

Posted on Apr 25, 2009, 12:03 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

ATI Radeon vs. PC Card = trouble??

by Oliver S. (Login oliver_s)

Hi!

I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this forum, as it is now nearly ten years that these cards were phased out. Anyway, I come up with a question:

Has anyone of you run a PCI PC Card in a beige G3 under MacOS 8.6 or 9.2.2 with an ATI Radeon?

As I don't use the G3 anymore for playing and therefore I do not have any use for the 3dfx Voodoo3 card in my G3, I decided it might be a good idea to upgrade the machine graphics card wise to an ATI Radeon. I watched ebay an finally got me such a card this week. The Radeon is a 32 MB PCI Mac Edition card. As far as I remember this is the PCI card with the max performance.

The G3 meanwhile is upgraded with a G4/500 from Sonnet and the other 2 of the 3 PCI slots are filled with a FireWire/USB combo card and the 12" PC Card with the Cyrix CPU (to have this card running in a Mac different from the 4400, which it was exclusively intended for, I need to run "Wish I were" on the G3 to patch the Gestalt Id to that of a 4400). On different partitions of the IDE hard rive, I have Mac OS 8.1, 8.6 and 9.2.2. On a 4Gig SCSI hard drive, I have MacOS X 10.2.8. The RAM slots are filled with three 256 MB modules. So this machine is quite full.

Sadly, with the Radeon installed, the maching does not boot in neither in MacOS 9.2, nor in 8.6. (in the other variations of the OS, I did not install the drivers for the PC card (8.1) or it can't be run (10.2.8)) The system starts up, does its memory check, loads the extensions and the control panels. But when the system should show up the desktop, the menubar and the drives on the desktop, it gets stuck. Even the mouse pointer disappears.

I was able to trace the problem down to the PC card driver stuff (don't know if it's the extensions or the control panel) - when I disable these elements, the system starts fine.

Did anyone have a similar problem, and does anyon know where to get drivers for the Radeon, that can be run on a MacOS below 9?

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Greetings,
Oliver S.

Posted on Feb 1, 2009, 3:00 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

HI5 PAGES

by ALESSANDRO MORINA (Login rextor)

http://hi1hi2hi3hi4hi5and6.hi5.com

Posted on Mar 27, 2008, 7:31 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Need DOM help

by allensis (Login allensis)

I am having trouble getting a Reply DOM running again after nearly 3 years of it sitting in a box. My 10 year old son would love to tinker with it on his mac.

I am installing it in a PM6500/225.

The first step was to install it and see if it worked. It did. I put it in, with the internal GIMO monitor cable. Dropped an old copy of PC Setup 2.1.7f into the System 9.1 folder and restarted. Amazingly enough, it worked. Switching over, installing, etc. Except that nothing stuck. I tried to install MSDOS 6.2, didn't work. Tried Windows 3.1, seemingly worked, restart - nothing in the container drive. Then the switchover stopped working.

I have now tried quite a few different things. I built containers under 8.5, and 8.1., same results - no switchover. Just the slightly dim screen.

I tried going back to PC Setup: 1.6.1 - 1.6.4 - no joy!

I double-checked the GIMO cable and it seems fine.

Of course the most frustrating thing is that it worked immediately, almost, for just a bit under OS 9.1 and 2.1.7f. Now, mysteriously - nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just knowing someone else is reading this might even be helpful.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 25, 2007, 12:57 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Looking for files, ISOs

by (Login Scothiam)

Hey, I'd like to get a hold of as many ISO of the OrangePC easy install CDs as possible. I currently have ver.3.3, which I installed, then replaced the app with the 3.4 app, though I would love to get my hands on the full install CD/ISO for 3.4.2, as well as disk images for Win98 and NT, have win98 already.
Looking into hosting these files online at http://groups.google.ca/group/mac-n-dos?hl=en

Cheers,
Scott
PS, follow my experience with my OrangePC cards at http://www.scothiam.com/PCcard_Blog

PSS, I'm looking for a video pass through cable for an Apple Compatibility Card, anyone?

Posted on Jul 15, 2007, 12:03 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

How to guide?

by (no login)

Hi everyone! If anyone could point me towards a "how-to" guide towards getting an OrangePC 620 up and running, with trouble shooting tips and all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Current problem: I install OrangePC 3.1 (which came with the card), no problem. When I try to run the app, the Mac freezes.

Cheers,

Posted on May 12, 2007, 3:53 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

How to guide?

by Neoturf (no login)

What is your system specs? And if you are running MacOS X then you are begging for problems. I got a 620 and I am running it under MacOS 9.1 in a Powermac 6500 with an G3 upgrade with no problems. If need be I can dig up some info, but I think mainly it is restricted with the PDF that came with the card on the CD. Also, note that this forum is not very active (aka dead, or almost, mainly spam bait) so be patient.

-NT

Posted on May 18, 2007, 11:08 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Thanks!

by (no login)

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm currently using MacOx 9.2, which I suspect might be a problem. I have both a 530 and a 620 and have no idea if either work. I was only able to get the Settings page for the OrangePc app once, now the software freezes the computer completely, requiring a reboot.
I'm going to go back to Os 9 or 9.1 and see if that helps.
Cheers!

Posted on May 19, 2007, 8:25 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

System specs

by (no login)

These are my system specs:

G4 tower 400mhz, agp, gigabit ethernet
~800mb ram
40gig hd
Mac Os 9.2 (OsX 10.2 also)

I have an Apple PC card (586 100mhz): PcSetup installed fine, created hd files... was able to switch the environments back and forth. However, no floppy means nothing to boot to...yet

I also have an OrangePC 530 and 620. The 530 looks a little banged up from shipping, so I'm putting my money on the 620.
The 620 came with the original cd for OrangePC software version 3.1. I've tried turning off virtual memory, un-installing and reinstalling the software with no luck. I was only able to see the config page once, now it just shows the software splash screen and the computer freezes. Running the orangePC "C" drive utility also freezes the Mac.

I was thinking the next step would be a clean install of Os 9.0, no OsX on the system, and start fresh from there.

Cheers! Thanks for all the help and interest,
Scott

Posted on May 21, 2007, 7:29 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

How to Guide

by (no login)

I need some more info if I can help you. What type of machine are you using? What have you done thus far ? What other cardsd do you have installed? Any pertinant information can be useful.

There are many reasons for the card to act up from a bad seat in the PCI slot , to a bad HD image its working from. I always defrag before I installed the software.

Also I would recommend upgradeing your software to 3.4 it seems to help. if you need help there let me know. I'll keep tabs on the forume now I see there is some assistance needed.

Mike H.

Here are some helpful links:

http://pccardfaq.com/
http://www.network54.com/Forum/30406/
http://web.archive.org/web/20010810033038/www.orangemicro.com/opc660.html

Posted on May 20, 2007, 11:49 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

System specs

by (no login)

These are my system specs:

G4 tower 400mhz, agp, gigabit ethernet
~800mb ram
40gig hd
Mac Os 9.2 (OsX 10.2 also)

I have an Apple PC card (586 100mhz): PcSetup installed fine, created hd files... was able to switch the environments back and forth. However, no floppy means nothing to boot to...yet

I also have an OrangePC 530 and 620. The 530 looks a little banged up from shipping, so I'm putting my money on the 620.
The 620 came with the original cd for OrangePC software version 3.1. I've tried turning off virtual memory, un-installing and reinstalling the software with no luck. I was only able to see the config page once, now it just shows the software splash screen and the computer freezes. Running the orangePC "C" drive utility also freezes the Mac.

I was thinking the next step would be a clean install of Os 9.0, no OsX on the system, and start fresh from there.

Cheers! Thanks for all the help and interest,
Scott

Posted on May 24, 2007, 2:10 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

System Specs

by (no login)

Well, I doubt a reinstall will help, I ran my OPC card (660) with OSX installed and it didn't mind, However with the OS9 you have I highly reccomend upgrading to 3.4 . Another problem you might have is the OPC preferences might be fouled up. Just trash them, They are in the OS9 preferences folder marked OrangePC ( Do this with the opc software not running)and start it up again. It will ask for the driveC image again , Basicially you need to set it up but don't set any of the other items like network or other stuff just the CDrive image .Or you might otherwise have a memory problem with the card. Did you install it yourself or did it come with the memory allready installed? Also do the dip switches match the CPU you have? Sometimes people mess with them and it gets set wrong. Email me if you need the software update. One other thing to try is removing the Apple card and putting the OPC card in another PCI slot. Let me know how it all works

Good luck and let me know on the software update.
Mike H.

Posted on May 24, 2007, 10:48 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Orange Micro OrangePC 660 F/S on Ebay

by Mike H (no login)

Well as I stated before my Orange PC 660 card is going up on Ebay.
Good luck to all.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140070334462

Posted on Jan 1, 2007, 4:37 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Ebay stuck it to me

by Mike H. (no login)

Well Ebay removed the aucton for a copyright infringment to a company no longer around. I am going to try to resolve the issue and will post a new link when iit goes back up.
Sorry but what can I say it's Ebay.

Posted on Jan 2, 2007, 1:44 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Lets try it again

by Mike H (no login)

Posted on Jan 3, 2007, 11:56 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

F/A Orange Micro OrangePC 660 up again

by Mike H (no login)

Ok this should do it , I had to delete the software included in the auction sorry folks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140071361556

Posted on Jan 4, 2007, 10:31 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

help?

by (no login)

Hi! Was wondering what you had to go through to get the card working on your MDD, I have a g4 400 tower with no floppy drive and was wondering if you could post links to any helpful info.

I'm currently installing an Apple PC compatibility card (100mhz 586), with hopes of doing the same with a OrangePC 530 and 620 in the next week or so.

Cheers!

Posted on May 2, 2007, 8:24 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

F/S Orange Micro OrangePC 660 cards going up again

by (no login)

Well once again I have more Orange PC 660 cards going up on Ebay. I just have to finish testing them. I even burned a copy of the latest install CD and the memory will be maxed. Keep an eye out and I'll post a link.
Thanks All,
Mike

Posted on Nov 28, 2006, 1:12 PM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

New URL for FAQ

by Lee McIntosh (no login)

OK, it looks like this forum has really hit rock bottom with all the junk postings =/
Anyway, my FAQ about the PC compatibility cards has a new URL:
http://pccardfaq.com
I have all the software, information, service manuals, and downloads located on my server in case any links to other sites are down. Feel free to visit and ask any questions you might have. As soon as I buy a new power supply, then I'll start playing with my card again ; )
Tis a real shame that this forum's not doing too well...

Posted on Oct 27, 2006, 3:25 AM

Respond to this message   

Goto Forum Home

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement