<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

YOU, TOO, CAN ANALYZE NORTH KOREA'S MISSILE CAPABILITIES–WITH PHYSICS

July 8 2017 at 3:29 PM
Max 

YOU, TOO, CAN ANALYZE NORTH KOREA'S MISSILE CAPABILITIES–WITH PHYSICS

EVERY TIME NORTH Korea launches a missile, experts pore over photographs and videos to learn more about the country's weapons capabilities. It's a form of kremlinology, one where something so seemingly trivial as Kim Jong-un's coat carries significant meaning. But you don't have to be an analyst at the CIA or the MI6 or any other three-letter agency to do this. Using a video of Tuesday's launch of what experts said is an ICBM capable of reaching Alaska, you can figure out the missile's acceleration. Let me show you how.

https://www.wired.com/story/north-korea-missile-launch-video-analysis-physics/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Amigo

Re: YOU, TOO, CAN ANALYZE NORTH KOREA'S MISSILE CAPABILITIES–WITH PHYSICS

July 8 2017, 6:23 PM 

>>>If I average the acceleration of these five views, I get 3.9 m/s^2. I'm going to stick with that value.

I don't mind making 1 mistake or 2 in rocket science - but it looks like rockets with 3.9 m/s^2 acceleration won't get off the ground - CAUSE earth's acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

Anonymous

July 8 2017, 7:02 PM 

YOU, TOO, IS IDIOT

Amigo

July 8 2017, 7:16 PM 

>>>YOU, TOO, IS IDIOT

You don't mean it- you're only trying your best to look cute.

Anonymous

July 8 2017, 9:04 PM 

>>>>it looks like rockets with 3.9 m/s^2 acceleration won't get off the ground - CAUSE earth's acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

no. it will get off the ground because the 9.8 m/s^2 downward acceleration is included in the rocket weight. so if the same force is applied to the same rocket in space - rocket mass will be used instead of rocket weight and in that case the total rocket acceleration = 3.9 m/s^2 + 9.8 m/s^2 = 13.7 m/s^2.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement