Return to Index  

San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL help, tips, advice, opinions

October 25 2011 at 10:48 AM
Mike  (Login Coyote1012)
from IP address 173.170.92.132

New to the biking world.
Okay, I'll be honest, as of right now I do not own any sort of a bike and haven't rode more than 15 miles in a day. I also have no idea how to go about changing a tire on a bicycle.

But!
I am a professional baseball player (athlete) who's in excellent physical shape, and I have more mental fortitude than almost anyone I know (mixed with more than enough stubbornness). I believe I'm mentally strong enough to tackle this challenge and physically speaking I'm already in excellent shape (despite my inexperience with bike riding).

I've had this thought for about 2 years now and I'm just now starting to really attack the idea. Made a checklist of stuff I would need (at least as far as I know). And I'm starting to seriously look into routes and maps from San Diego to Jacksonville Beach. I would train in the gym seeing as how I don't have a bike and fly out to San Diego where I would purchase a nice bike then ride it back (home) to Florida.

Money will be my biggest factor. Minor league baseball players don't exactly get paid "Big League" salary so expenses will be tough but I'm used to living on a shoe-string budget so this wouldn't be a trip of luxury.

Here's what I'm getting stuck on:
How many sets of cloths should I bring (I would plan on washing every chance I got) [socks, compression shorts, gym shorts, shirts]?
How can I get in touch with charities and whatnot to either sponsor me or to bike for charity?
What kind of bike tools will I need (chain lube, tools, etc)?
Should I bring a tent to perhaps cut down hotel costs every once in a while (despite the extra baggage)?
Would I seriously need to buy/wear bike cleats and tight bike shorts/shirts?

Any advice, tips, or resources would be greatly appreciated!! Thank y'all so much!!

--Mike.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain BikingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement