<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Join me - San Diego to Washington DC, late June

May 8 2008 at 9:01 AM
Cecilia  (Login concealedraisin)
from IP address 165.24.249.110

Hey there,

I'm a 26f looking for companions on a late June to late August ride from San Diego, CA to Washington, DC. Why then? I will be losing my job (as a teacher) and figure that I won't have a completely free summer again for a long time... so I'm taking advantage!

Since it will be too hot to do the Southern route, I'll be heading northeast gaining gradual elevation up the 395, then into Nevada. I've got the Adventure Cycling maps (both Western Express and TransAmerica) so the plan is to link up with that route in Fallon, Nevada.

I'm not in amazing shape, but am confident I'll be able to do this. I'm giving myself plenty of time to go at a reasonable pace, averaging 65 miles a day. Been doing some minor training; probably I'll be pretty tired the first week out.

I'm going self-contained and camping or hoping for some generous home stays.

Anyway, my biggest concerns (in no particular order) are the following:
- saddle sore
- bike breaking down
- hills!!!
- my stuff getting stolen while buying groceries or something... so here's where you come in ;)

Please let me know any or all of this sounds good to you. You can reach me at cecilia.anderson@gmail.com -- or, if you just have some helpful tips, I'd love to pick your brain.

Happy riding!

Ceci

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Colorado Guy! :)
(Login ColoradoGuy)
+ Accepted Members +

Sounds exciting! ...

May 8 2008, 5:28 PM 

Just my humble input & encouragement about your concerns:

saddle sore - Your butt will get used to it fairly quickly.

bike breaking down - Don't skimp with your bike. Make sure it is in very good shape with all potentially old parts replaced.

hills!!! - Ha ha ha ha ha. If you go through Colorado, I can assure you hills will not be your worry. It'll be the BIG ASS MOUNTAINS that will torture you!

my stuff getting stolen while buying groceries or something... - Use a good lock. Some large supermarkets supposedly allow you to bring your bike inside. Always carry your valuable belongings on you when you leave the bike.

-Steve

Long Hair

Respond to this message   
Cecilia
(Login concealedraisin)

theft

May 8 2008, 10:52 PM 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, for the great site, and for the wonderful trip report. I'm inspired!

So... I plan on taking a light-ish cable lock along with me. But did you actually take your panniers off every time you went in a grocery store? I'm a little stressed about the idea, even though I feel generally trusting of people in smaller towns. What was your experience?

Yeah... the hills are going to brutal! I've driven over Monarch pass in CO before, and can't believe I'll be BIKING it this summer - yikes! Oh well, might as well just grin and bear it.

Cecilia

Respond to this message   

(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

Hopefully I didn't discourage you about the mountains! :) ...

May 9 2008, 12:09 PM 

I biked up Monarch Pass a few years ago on the east side:

http://stevegarufi.com/bikemonarchpass.htm (crappy pictures but proof)

I have much nicer pictures of Monarch Pass here:

http://coloradoguy.com/monarch-pass.htm

(There is a CDOT web cam up there. You could lock your bike and rest with your friends watching you on the web cam!)

With the mountains, a lot of it is psychological. You just gotta take your time, one peddle at a time ... take a break if you need to ... go as slow as you need to, etc. The mental part is to stay positive and committed when your brain is screaming at you to stop and quit.

SADDLE BAGS - I never took them off. I just grabbed my most valuable stuff (wallet, camera, cell phone) and locked it up. I suppose someone could have just stolen my non-bicycling t-shirt, my tubes, my maps, etc., but I was more concerned about the entire bike being stolen. That is clearly the item of most value.

-Steve

Now is the time!

Bike Across America

This message has been edited by stevegarufi from IP address 71.34.148.207 on May 9, 2008 12:10 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

So Cecilia, did you do the trip? ...

January 13 2009, 1:10 PM 

Just curious. (I'm going through old threads.)

-Steve
www.ColoradoGuy.com

Respond to this message   
Cecilia
(Login concealedraisin)

I did the trip! Sorry for the late reply... only 6 years later

May 9 2015, 8:36 AM 

Steve, I just looked back in here and wanted to say that YES, I did the trip! It was amazing. Here's my blog: http://ceciliaanderson.blogspot.com/

Take care, and thanks again for the encouragement early on,

Cecilia

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Mountain BikingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement