<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question about daily mileage!

February 1 2013 at 4:08 PM
Kevin L.  (Login Kmasterfresh)
from IP address 71.224.200.24

Hi everyone,

My name's Kevin and I'm planning a cross-country trip this summer. Problem is, I don't actually have enough time to make it across the country. Basically I have somewhere between 40 and 50 days and I just want to make it as far as I can.

I'm 18 years old and I'm in (what I consider) very good physical condition. However, I've never really cycled at all before. My running endurance is well above average but I'm not sure how much this carries over to cycling. My tour will be solo and fully loaded with what I expect will be around 50 pounds, give or take 10ish pounds.

My question is: With a good amount of training, about how many miles might I expect to be able to ride daily? I'm curious because I'm trying to decide what I should set my goal destination to be.

Thanks in advance for any info/wisdom you more experienced riders can share!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lowell
(Login lowells)

up to 100

February 2 2013, 1:12 AM 

Kevin,

I met a young guy who claimed to make it across the country in a little over a month and I think he averaged 90 maybe even 100 miles a day. I did it very differently, averaging 62 miles a day over 5 months not all on the bike. Comfortably you should be able to do 70 miles a day.

Check out my website www.steelingwest.com for an account of my ride and tips, equipment, route, etc.

Contact me on there if you like (bottom of the main page).

Cheers,

Lowell

Respond to this message   
Kevin L.
(Login Kmasterfresh)

Re: up to 100

February 3 2013, 11:23 AM 

Thanks a lot! I honestly had much lower expectations than 70 per day so if what you said is true I can look to make it to much further/more exciting destinations. I might even be able to reach the grand canyon with luck! Thanks a lot and I will definitely check out steelingwest to help answer my other questions.

Thanks again!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Mountain BikingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement