<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings  

John Frusciante is a killer

April 9 2005 at 8:20 PM
Average Score 3.3 (4 people)
Natally  (no login)

Did you know John Frusciante was the junkie that gave River the speed ball that killed him?

I have readed in the Across the way site for River, it so sad, i feel much anger, police should lock him. he deserves the worst.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jiggy Jam
(no login)

Re: John Frusciante is a killer

No score for this post
April 9 2005, 10:01 PM 

Why are you mad at the dealer? Shouldn't you be mad at River for taking the drugs?

Elle
(no login)

No score for this post
April 11 2005, 8:20 AM 

Im mad at the dealer, River, i was mad at Johnny depp for not having people there to check if there's drugs in anybodys pockets or bags. I was mad at god.
I dont blame Johnny Depp now as he wasn't to know. And im still mad at River but for leaving, but i just want to put that all behind.
River would never of hurt anybody. But when he died River hurt alot of people.

Naydine
(no login)

No score for this post
April 20 2005, 10:07 PM 

If i gave you a gun and hold you there was a possility there were bullets in it-and you decided to play Russian roulette..would it be my fault if you died? Just think about what you're saying.

family
(no login)

rip river

No score for this post
August 3 2005, 8:20 AM 

if i gave you a gun & some bullets & told you that shooting yourself would make you feel the best you've ever felt in your whole life, you might be persuaded to try it! likewise if i didnt give you a gun at all you couldnt take that risk! if jf hadnt given rio the brown in the first place, he couldnt have taken it & he might still be with us.
put a bit more thought into things before you hurt anymore of us.

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

Yes, if you give someone a gun, it is your fault.

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:37 AM 

Yes if you give someone a gun, you know to be freaky with guns, and had a problem with guns in the past it is partly your fault, and punishable by law.
If you give someone drugs, you KNOW there is a chance those drugs may have an adverse reaction and there- fore in part your responsibility. Anyone who knew River, knew he was sensitive and niave.

No one believes in victims anymore. No one shares the blame. We have become a blameless, shameless, nation of hardened selfish individuals.

TiffanyDenver
(no login)

RUSH LIMBAUGH?

No score for this post
May 7 2005, 3:54 AM 

Are you fucking Rush Limbaugh? HA HA HA- look what happened to him idiot. TAKING DRUGS TOO. SO give me a break!

(Login river_fan)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
February 21 2006, 5:21 AM 

I would be mad at the dealer, whoever it was. Yeah River may have been taken the drugs but it was someone ELSE's choice to seek him out and give them to him. And it says somewhere else the dose of speed was lethal. Saying the drug dealer isn't responsible at all is like saying opening a gate to a pool to a small child, allowing them to drown, isn't your fault. Yes, the child may have wandered in but they did not want to die, and you allowed them to through your actions. Anyone who thinks River died only because of himself, not due to anyone else's actions or what had happened in his life, has no heart.

wookiehobbit
(no login)

No score for this post
May 1 2005, 7:23 PM 

I agree that it's partly his fault, but mostly Rio's. Even though he was the greatest, he wasn't perfect, and was misdirected. It was Rio who took the drugs, not him, and he took them by choice. It wasn't a good choice, but what happened happened.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
May 1 2005, 8:54 PM 

I agree River made the choice to take the drugs, Its just hard to believe that those who truly cared about him couldnt help him, if the information is true, I dont know how john frusciante can live with himself, knowing that he may have contributed to Rivers death.

Ally
(Login Ally.M)

No score for this post
May 7 2005, 6:11 AM 

Yeah so what if John gave him the speedball that killed him! I mean yeah...it is upsetting, but no one shoved the speedball down his throat! River took it by himself with no help! It was his descision to take it, and he risked his life for it without knowing the results to what would happen! If there is anyone that you should be mad at, it would be River himself, he took it, no one else made him , it was his descision and he payed for the consequences! All we can do now is pray for him and hope he is in a better place!

Heather
(no login)

No score for this post
June 26 2005, 3:05 PM 

I truly am a River Phoenix fan, but I certainly don't blame John for River's death. John is not a murderer by any stretch...so far as I know, no one had a gun to River's head to snort heroine. Not that time in the bathroom at the Viper Room, not the undoubtedly dozens to hundreds of times he'd done it before. River and John both showed bad judgement and it cost one of them their life. Period.

True, River's support system could have probably done more talking to him, but in reality, even that wouldn't have stopped him from doing drugs. I'm quite sure that friends and family knew of his drug abuse (anyone seen The Thing Called Love?) Hell, I'm not a family member or friend and I could tell he was using. In the end it just boils down to he screwed around with drugs once too often. It could have happened to anyone. It's truly a shame to see so much talent flushed down the toilet.

squire
(no login)

DRUGS ARE THE KILLER, NOT FRUSCIANTE

Score 5.0 (1 person)
June 27 2005, 9:35 AM 

OH PLEASE!

YES WE ALL KNOW THAT JOHN FRUSCIANTE WAS THE ONE WHO OFFERED RIVER PHOENIX THE PERSIAN BROWN THAT SENT HIM INTO SEIZURES, EVEN HIS DAD JOHN PHOENIX MENTIONED IT IN AN INTERVIEW, BUT THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THAT JOHN FRUSCIANTE CAN BE BLAMED OR ACCUSED OF BEING A "KILLER" FOR RIVER PHOENIX DYING.

WHAT KILLED RIVER PHOENIX WAS RIVER PHOENIX THRU DRUGS. NOT A SUICIDE BUT LIKE ANY JUNKIE, YES "JUNKIE" THAT O.D'S, THEY DO IT TO THEMSELVES. NO ONE ELSE.

I'M SURE MR. FRUSCIANTE FEELS PRETTY FUCKED UP ABOUT IT AND IN FACT WENT INTO HIS OWN DRUG HELL FOR YEARS AFTERWARDS BUT NO ONE FORCED RIVER TO SNORT THE PERSION BROWN OR SWALLOW THE VALIUM OR SNORT THE COKE AND SMOKE THE WEED AND SNORT THE CRYTSAL METH! HE DID IT.

AND YES IT'S SAD THAT NO ONE WAS THERE TO STOP IT OR "HELP" BUT LET'S FACE IT AT 23 YEARS OLD
YOUR AN ADULT AND SHOULD BE MAKING DECISIONS FOR YOURSELF.
IT SEEMS THAT EVERBODY, FANS AND FAMILY, WANTED TO BLAME SOMEONE OR SOMETHING ELSE FOR HIS DEATH BUT IT WAS RIVER WHO DID IT. NO ONE DESERVES TO DIE LIKE THAT, IT'S VERY UNFORTUNATE & VERY TRAGIC FOR ANYONE TO DIE THAT WAY AND IN THAT MANNER

ACUTE MULIPLE INTOXICATION:
YOU DON'T DIE THAT WAY FROM A SPIKED DRINK OR JUST SOME BAD SHIT.
THAT'S A SERIOUS BENDER FOR A SERIOUS JUNKIE.
HE HAD PROBLEMS AND THE DRUGS MADE IT WORSE.

PEOPLE SAY WHY DIDN'T FAMILY AND FRIENDS DO SOMETHING WELL MAYBE THEY TRIED BUT AS ANY JUNKIE WILL TELL YOU THAT THE ONLY THING TO STOP THEM FROM USING IS WHEN THEY WANT TO STOP THEMSELVES OR DEATH! UNFORTUNATELY FOR RIVER IT WAS DEATH THAT STOPPED HIM.

YES HE WAS AN AMAZING ACTOR, VERY NATURAL AND TALENTED AND DARING, YES THE WAY HE DIED WAS TRAGIC AND DISTURBING BUT NO WAY CAN U BLAME ANYBODY ELSE FOR HIS DEATH BUT HIM.
NOT HIS FRIENDS, HIS DRUG DEALERS, JOHNNY DEPP, THE CLUB, L.A. OR WHATEVER.
HE OBVIOUSLY HAD SOME DEEP ROOTED PROBLEMS TO DEAL WITH AND NOW IT'S TOO LATE.

AS FOR THE COFFIN PICTURE, YES IT'S VERY REAL AND YES IT'S VERY WRONG THAT SOMEONE TOOK IT, NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!!

BUT....

IF IT DOES KEEP PEOPLE IN CHECK WITH DRUG USE AND ABUSE THEN MAYBE IT WILL SERVE SOME SORT OF PURPOSE, IN SOME STRANGE AND MACARBE WAY. I DONT KNOW!

AS FOR PHEONIX'S BEST FILMS JUST WATCH HIM THRU THE MID 80'S TO THE VERY EARLY 90'S, HE WAS BRILLIANT, ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING PERFORMANCES AND PRESENCE

BUT....

THEN HIS LAST TWO FILMS ARE SHIT! HE'S NOT THE SAME ACTOR AS BEFORE.
IT'S ALMOST DISTURBING & EMBARRASING WATCHING HIM IN "THE THING CALLED LOVE" AND
"SILENT TONGUE."
YOU CAN SEE THAT HE'S JUST GOING THRU THE MOTIONS PRETENDING TO ACT, YOU CAN TELL THAT HE'S GIVEN UP WHILE HIGH AS A FUCKING KITE!!!!!

BUT AT LEAST WE STILL HAVE SOME AMAZING FILMS TO REMEMBER HIM BY AS AN AMZING ACTOR:

"STAND BY ME"
"MOSQUITO COAST"
"MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO"
"DOGFIGHT"
etc

JC
(no login)

Re: DRUGS ARE THE KILLER, NOT FRUSCIANTE

No score for this post
June 28 2005, 12:44 AM 

Squire- gotta respond to this quote from your post:

"AS FOR THE COFFIN PICTURE, YES IT'S VERY REAL AND YES IT'S VERY WRONG THAT SOMEONE TOOK IT, NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!!"

NO ONE knows who took that picture of River! It may well have been taken by someone in his family who did it out of need. And there's nothing wrong with that! (ICU and I discussed this briefly recently when I was just posting as "Anon.") Some "needs" for taking a picture of a deceased loved one: too shocked by an untimely or unexpected death to accept it at the time, therefore needing concrete proof later that the death did in fact happen and is real; not able to attend services and, again, need proof of the death to reach closure; can say goodbye to the image in the photo if you couldn't say it at the services (whether you were there or not--sometimes people need time before they can ever actually say the word "goodbye"); need it as the final piece of the person's story (full circle--birth to death). And there are bound to be numerous other perfectly logical reasons for something like this. It's actually way more common for families to do this than (apparently) most people realize. It's not weird, sick, or morbid when a family member has a need like one of the above and takes a picture like the one of River. If someone in River's family did take the photo, the ONLY weird, sick, morbid thing about it is that some wackjob stole it from the photo lab, reproduced it illegally, and put it--something so very personal--out there for the world to see!! Whoever did that is beyond reprehensible. I would hope they've been feeling guilt with every breath they've taken since doing this, but someone that ----ed up probably doesn't have anything in them resembling a conscience in the first place. IF this scenario is true (that a family member took the pic), the sad thing is that THAT person--a loved one of River--has probably been feeling like crap all these years because it was stolen and plastered everywhere, even though they did nothing wrong.

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

No score for this post
June 28 2005, 9:57 AM 

aren't we a little too quick to point the finger?

JC
(no login)

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 5:25 AM 

"aren't we a little too quick to point the finger?"

I was absolutely NOT saying that I was sure someone in River's family took the picture, if that's what you mean. I just said IF someone in his family took the picture, there were some logical reasons (not sick, morbid, etc. as the previous poster had said) why family members take photos like that. I wasn't "pointing a finger" at anyone.

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 7:06 AM 

fyi jc i was actually talking about the people who are saying that fru oh whatever his name is them saying that he killed him.

Jocelyn
(no login)

so John Frusciante is innocent?

No score for this post
July 28 2005, 3:51 PM 

That amount that he gave him was deadly and that cant be forgiven. I feel so angry because I hear this silly stuff about "River was the one who took the drugs". Yes, but you cannot expect that the drugs are going to KILL you.
Maybe John wanted to share the speedball with River because he wanted him to overdose. Who knows. Maybe he is evil. Ok, now I'm mean, but I just cant forgive! The John who gave River the speedball and the John who makes wonderful music are two different people for me.

ashley
(no login)

Re: so John Frusciante is innocent?

No score for this post
July 28 2005, 7:18 PM 

I am a fan of rivers but I cannot blame john for his death, I mean he did have a part in it but he didn't shove the drugs down his throat, rio made hat decision, I mean a drug dealer doesn't care whats gonna happen to the person, they just want money which I think he got alot of off rio!

squire
(no login)

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 12:09 AM 

In response to your:

"That amount that he gave him was deadly and that cant be forgiven. I feel so angry because I hear this silly stuff about "River was the one who took the drugs". Yes, but you cannot expect that the drugs are going to KILL you.
Maybe John wanted to share the speedball with River because he wanted him to overdose. Who knows. Maybe he is evil. Ok, now I'm mean, but I just cant forgive! The John who gave River the speedball and the John who makes wonderful music are two different people for me."

I'm sorry but the amount that was given to him by john frusciante was not a "deadly" amount as you say.
that in addition to everything else he took that night was the "deadly amount."

acute toxification usually refers to a strong amount of drugs and / or alcohol over a longer period of time as opposed to an overdose.

anyway, we're splitting hairs here!

the fact is that no junkie expect the drugs to kill them but hey...... guess what they do and no one is responsible for that but themselves!

the bottom line is that no one, no one was there to help him but in the end no junkie no matter what the circumstances will quit until he or she wants to quite themselves.

over all it's just a sad tale of a young life gone like so many before him and so many after him, famouse or not!!!!!!!

ELIZALELU
(no login)

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 2:57 AM 

I know this will sound really ignorant to u guys but will someone please tell me who is John Frusciante. I mean besides being the man who gave River drugs. He is a musician of some sort?

(Login Nicola_Oasis)

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 3:45 AM 

He's the guitarist from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Incidently, i dont think he's a killer, he offered his friend drugs, his friend took them of his own free will and sadly died.

ELIZALELU
(no login)

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 6:02 AM 

Nicola-thank you for the info. Didn't the Chili Peppers have a band member who died of an overdose? His name was Hillell or something like that-not sure of the spelling.

Just wanted to add that I really love this message board. I have been a huge fan of Rivers since I was a kid and I am so glad that I stumbled across this board. Every time I see a movie of his I always wonder what his career and life would be like if he were still alive today. I think he would have had atleast one Oscar to his credit by now. What breaks my heart is that he had to pay the ultimate price for his habit/recreation-whatever you want to call it. River paid the ultimate price when so many people just keep getting by with the same thing. In my past I "partied" pretty hard with little consequence-I am very thankful for that but it just seems wrong that some people get by when others don't. Especially someone that was so promising and adored. I didn't know that Joaquin had an alcohol problem until he went to rehab for it-I am glad he did that. Joaquin is great too. When I see him I think his eyes look so sad and haunted. I wonder if it is because of the pain he suffered from losing River-I'm sure that is part of it.

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

If I shared my drugs...

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:43 AM 

I would feel responsible for the death of my friend, yes, if I gave them drugs that killed them. Because it would be partly my fault. I gave him deadly drugs.

(Login RideHanna)

Don't die from a spiked drink?

No score for this post
October 24 2013, 9:39 AM 

Well of course you can die from a spiked drink! The issue in question is not the "spiked Drink" but rather WTF was in the drink. Fact is River had an immediate reaction to ingesting it. What needs to be established is was there there criminal intent involved, yes so he had been taking drugs but they had not killed him. He chose to drink it trusting that was not going to be abused. He had an immediate violent reaction indicating that there must have been a shit load in that drink. Why has this not been seriously investigated?

(Login JesseBee)

Spiked drink ? What spiked drink ?

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:57 AM 

I agree. the spiked drink is the way Natalee Halloway died.

This is the first I heard of a spiked drink in the River Phoenix story..

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

If drug dealers are not at fault, then why is it a crime to be one ?

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:50 AM 

Of course they share the blame. But his friends who told him he could not play that night should have thought about the disappointment and looked out for River. Anyone who really knew River, knew he was a child at heart. He needed looking after. Most child stars, exploited children, have no sense of who they are or value themselves in a way other people do. River killed the pain through drugs and many people there that night knew this about him. I feel they should have looked after him, called for help immediately after he ingested the drug and said it was too much. They waited 45 minutes before taking him outside and all the time he was terribly sick. I would have called 911 asap.

(no login)

John Frusciante is with out a doubt a killer like u said

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 6:06 AM 

I am w/you 100%of the way!Sorry for me asying but that man is seriously an ass hole who diserved what happened to River.

ashley
(no login)

Re: John Frusciante is with out a doubt a killer like u said

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 3:50 PM 

ummm but no one forced rio to take the drugs.....that was his choice and what drug dealer will care about someones life and not give them drugs...not one that I know ...They don't care about health they want money which they probably made alot of from rio! but it is partly his fault!

(Login nat_feldman)

Re: John Frusciante is with out a doubt a killer like u said

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 3:55 PM 

yeah in all fairness he was offered them. he could have said no but he didn't

(no login)

Elisha what do you mean?

No score for this post
July 30 2005, 11:44 PM 

What do you mean when you say "deserves what happened to River"? I am not trying to argue but I don't think a person deserves to die a humiliating death with a bunch of people watching on a scuzzy Los Angeles sidewalk. Junkie or not. Was this John dude ever prosecuted for his contribution to River's death?

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Elisha what do you mean?

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 1:20 AM 

"Was this John dude ever prosecuted for his contribution to River's death?"

No one in the family ever brought any charges against him. River's father was even quoted as saying something like going after that "musician" wouldn't do anyone any good. Hell, it would have gotten a drug dealer off the streets, though, wouldn't it?

ELIZALELU
(no login)

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 1:48 AM 

Yes it would have kept him from hurting anyone else-atleast for awhile. Is he still with the Chili Peppers? I don't even know if that band is still together.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 3:00 AM 

"Is he still with the Chili Peppers? I don't even know if that band is still together."

I'm not a fan, but the band is still together. It's my understanding that he left the band a while back, though. The band (I think it was Flea and Anthony Whatshisface, who were friends of River's) did write a song about River after his death, though. (And before anyone bites my head off, I am aware that most people here already know this, just trying to help!) Here are the lyrics, in case you or anyone else is interested:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Transcending" Lyrics

You are my god you are my dog
You kept me close love never lost
I called you hippie you said f**k off
Said your brother's a real punk rocker

Refrain :
Something gonna happen
Something very soon
Transcending flesh could be a breeze
Sending me oh over the Moon

Friends near death you gave respect
Sympathetic Intellect
Choices are for one and all
All we are is leaves that fall

Round and round inside your head
Smartest f**ker I ever met
Vicious fish bit at your toes
Made you lie and numb your soul

Refrain

Mule donkey ass you bore the load
Of all creation's tortured souls
Choices are for one and all
All is leaves that fall

Hey gone to stay
Entire lifetime flash before me
In a loving stream
Hey mother may I have lost a child
But she gave birth
To a loving stream

Ooh, never know
When the gods will come and
Take you
To a loving stream
Ooh, heart of gold
The most special things you gave me were
From your loving stream

In a loving stream

F**k the magazines
F**k the green machine
See the human being
In a loving stream

F**k the legal greed
F**k the nothing scene
See the family
In a loving stream

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 4:32 AM 

oef, I sure am an fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers..!

(Login nat_feldman)

Re: ...

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 9:51 AM 

"anthony whatshisface" you mean anthony kiedis

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: ...

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 6:14 PM 

""anthony whatshisface" you mean anthony kiedis"

lol, thanks! see, i told you i wasn't a fan.

ELIZALELU
(no login)

Thanks Anonymous

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 12:05 PM 

Thank you for the lyrics to the song about River-I have never heard it before.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Thanks Anonymous

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 6:16 PM 

you're welcome, ELIZALELU. just thought i'd share them for you or anyone who hadn't read the lyrics before.

(Login asadlier88)

naive

No score for this post
January 16 2014, 6:22 AM 

Its like river was a 14 year old puppet and john forced the drugs into rivers veins.... lol river was 23 had been a junkie for 2 or 3 years leading up to his death. John was not a drug dealer either... its hollywood... they were partying in johnny depps club... river got carried away and one thing led to another... yes its sad and john was probably affected more than most by this event (some of his music is pretty dark) and he almost died from drug use himself, and I believe it was around the same time he quit the chilli peppers also. At age 23 and considering the life river led he was no virgin to drug use and his overdose was his decision... you can overdose on alcohol... but the liquor store is not responsible... that is unless they sold to a minor. River was no minor. Also john being a junkie at that time would probably have been greedy with his drugs if anything given the nature of drug addicts. Dont blame john, dont blame river, if anything blame society as a whole and the rock star persona all those guys naturally take on. They were young and wild and could get there hands on anything until you are there and have that kind of money, freedom, and access to anything known to man. Dont place the term killer on someone who was rivers friend and was hurt more by the event than you, until you know exactly what the scenario dont be ignorant.

(no login)

No score for this post
July 31 2005, 3:54 PM 

Yeah some "friend" he was. River made a terrible choice that fateful night to take drug's.

(Login Nicola_Oasis)

For Elizalelu

No score for this post
August 1 2005, 5:12 AM 

Yeah, the chili peppers did have a member called Hillel that died of an overdose. And they are still together, i'm not a big fan but my husband is so we went to see them last year.

Anyone who likes reading should read the book " Scar Tissue " by Anthony Kiedis. It has a part in it about River's death. It might also give the River fans who question his drug habit ( how did it start ? was he heavily into drugs ? etc )a little insight because in the book Anthony talks about his junkie years which only ended about 4 years ago. So if River was hanging about with these kind of people, it should give you an idea as to how much drugs he took.

Its a brilliant book and it honestly stunned me when i read about how much drugs Anthony took, how lowlife he actually was. We're talking finding used syringes in the street and using them himself !!!!!!!!!!!! How he is still alive and not got aids is beyond me.

ELIZALELU
(no login)

Re: For Elizalelu

No score for this post
August 1 2005, 8:12 PM 

Nicola
I will definately order "Scar Tissue". Can't wait to read it.Thanks.

(Login Nicola_Oasis)

No score for this post
August 2 2005, 4:04 AM 

Its quite a long book but i read it in one day, its an excellent book.

ashley
(no login)

No score for this post
August 2 2005, 5:34 PM 

wait a minute are you saying the guy who gave rio the drugs was in the band red hot chili peppers?

ELIZALELU
(no login)

No score for this post
August 2 2005, 5:59 PM 

Ashley

I guess the guy who River was doing heroin with in the bathroom at the Viper Room the night he died is named John Frusciante and he is or was the guitarist for the Chili Peppers. I never new that before I joined this forum. Talk to you later.

(Login Nicola_Oasis)

No score for this post
August 3 2005, 4:54 AM 

I didnt know it either until i joined here but apparantly thats what people are saying, all i know is that in the book Scar Tissue it talks about Rivers death but not on too much details because of his family are, It does tell you about Flea being in the ambulance with River and Flea phoning Anthony to tell him. But there is no mention in the book of John giving River the drugs in the bathroom.

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

The guy he did the drugs with.

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:54 AM 

When River got sick, and said it was "too much" became sick, that friend or someone else should have called 911 right then. He said it was "too much" ...This is where it went wrong.

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

They should have let him play that night..

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:26 AM 

The disappointment led him to do those drugs. River wanted desperately to play on stage that night and he was promised he could. He was clean and ready to play. Then they told him there was no room for him. This brought out his old feelings of the poor nobody he thought he used to be.. The child begging for food and money, playing music on the street at age eight to support the family. River had a weak sense of himself, he was a giver. His friend, ( Flea? ) should have realized what a harsh blow this would be for River and allowed him to play his guitar that night. He never would have died.

We are our brother's keeper. We all must look out for each other. To blame River for his own mistake, his own death is ridiculous. There is plenty of blame to go around. Those who knew him should have looked out for him. People are becoming less and less lovers of each other and more selfish. He needed someone to watch out for him and his family and friends, especially the ones who disappointed him that night.

daisy
(no login)

???????????

No score for this post
August 11 2005, 1:51 PM 

can you tell me how you know it was john frusciante who gave river the drugs?
it might have been someone else !!!

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: ???????????

No score for this post
August 11 2005, 3:03 PM 

it doesn't matter who gave him the drugs. River bought the drugs and took them. It could have been some bum on the street who sold them to him or even the President of the US. it doen't matter one bit. What does matter is that River willingly took them.

Leslie
(Login Leslie89)

No score for this post
August 11 2005, 3:32 PM 

What ever happened to John F.? Was he ever punished for the ownership of drugs that night? What's he doing now?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 11 2005, 7:39 PM 

Drug dealers are hardly ever punished.

ELIZALELU
(no login)

Leslie

No score for this post
August 11 2005, 10:19 PM 

Read all of the posts on this thread-it tells a little more about the Frusciante situation. But no, he wasn't punished for his contribution to River's death. Take care.

Nicola
(no login)

Re: Leslie

No score for this post
August 16 2005, 3:28 PM 

John is still with the band but he had a sort of breakdown after River's death, understandably.

He's not a dealer, he was sharing his drugs with his friend and i'm sorry but i dont think he should be punished, River was a big boy and old enough to say " no thanks " if he didnt want them.

ELIZALELU
(no login)

No score for this post
August 16 2005, 8:25 PM 

Nicola-you are right again. Take care.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 17 2005, 5:47 AM 

I can see why he had a breakdown. Poor guy. But you know, he did not force the drugs on anyone. He was a user and doing drugs with friends.

Jadie
(no login)

John Frusciante is not a killer

No score for this post
August 17 2005, 5:03 PM 

Hey guys, I know that people have a lot of hate towards John Frusciante here. I think the guy is a genius, and can say that I have read lots and lots of documentations of what happened that night, including one from a book about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It states that John Frusciante was in fact on stage jamming with Flea and Johnny Depp (He is a keen guitarist as well) when River went into the bathroom, he was approached by older male with heavy doses of different kinds of narcotics. Although, John Frusciante was also a 'junkie' at this point, as he had been since the end of the 'BloodSugarSexMagic' recording sessions.

John and River would sit in eachother houses jamming for up to 12 hours at a time, getting high and speaking about different dimensions and parallel universes. When asked about Rivers death, he immediately started to cry and exclaimed "I have noone to make music with anymore"

As many of you have said, Flea and Anthony were close friends of River, Flea was the one who travelled in the Ambulance with River, as Joaquin and River were in such a state that they could not be of any help. And they were required to stay there by the police whilst they investigated what had happened.

Anthony found out the next day (which just so happens to be his birthday as well) And apparently sat in a club doinf nothing but smoking and crying. Blaming himself for not being there.

John and river were great friends, he appears on John's first solo album recorded in 1993, Niandre Lades and Usually just a T-shirt, on about 4 tracks. I seriously doubt that it was him that gave him the drugs, seeing as River was pretty high as it was.

Jadie
(no login)

John Frusciante

No score for this post
August 17 2005, 5:25 PM 

Sorry to babble on!!!

I found this, and thought it may back up my statements, seeing as you can't read the book through a forum!

Taken from www.johnfrusciante.com:

"Tell us about your friendship with River Phoenix, the late actor who actually features on 'Niandra'. "Me and River used to play together. We had a sort of communication that was intense, on just two guitars."

How many tunes did you cut with him?

"We did two songs," John expands. "One's called 'Bought Her Soul', and it's the second song on the album. I recorded the song and I said to River, 'Make sounds with your voice and I'll record you backwards over this song but you're not allowed to hear the song.'

"So he made sounds into the mic while I recorded and listened to it on the headphones. That's the other voice in the background besides my voice. It went perfectly with the song. We were cosmic together."

"The other song is 'Soul Removal'. He sings and wrote the first half, and I wrote the second half, and you can hear the guitars on that. It has the thickness of a bunch of guitars, but the unity of one guitar. We weave in and out of each other in a really cool, natural way.

'Bought Your Soul' struck me as being driven by a powerful emotion."

Answering someones previous question. John Frusciante went on to have a breakdown soon after River's death. Falling into the depths of depression and drug use. At one point he even burned his house down as he saw everything as his enemy.

Johnny Depp even made a short film/interview with John about his drug use. I am still to get my hands on this, but according to reports it is very harrowing and disturbing, "his teeth have rotted away and his skin is a grey colour, his finger nails are missing, replaced with blisters of blood that occasionally run down his fingers. His clothes are speckled with blood, and his arms bruised and scarred from were he just 'sticks the needle in' because he can't be bothered to inject properly."

In 1995, he OD'd and ended up dead for 2 minutes, he was revived and kept in for a week. As soon as he left he went to his dealer and got high again. In 1997 he was persuaded to go into to rehab, then approached by Flea to rejoin the RHCP. They recorded two new albums. (another that is being recorded as we speak) He dated Milla Jovovich in 2001 - 2003 and last I heard he was with the daughter of the artist who did the artwork for "By the way"

Hope that helps!

Nicola
(no login)

Re: John Frusciante

No score for this post
August 18 2005, 4:23 AM 

I thought John was married, at least he was when he left the RHCP.

I have no hate for John, things happen for a reason.

You should all read Scar Tissue, it gives you a little insight.

Jadie
(no login)

John

No score for this post
August 18 2005, 4:39 PM 

John has never been married, just long term relationships. The only two to have been married are Flea to Loesha and Chad to Maria. Neither lasted very long.

(Login nat_feldman)

Re: John

No score for this post
August 18 2005, 7:23 PM 

ok and here's me-didn't know that john had left RHCP

daisy
(no login)

No score for this post
August 21 2005, 9:36 AM 

i never said it mattered who gave river the drugs what i asked was how do people know it was definatly john who gave them him, i totally agree that river was old enough to say yes he wanted the drugs or no he didnt. my friend died from an overdose when he was 17 but it was prescription pills not hard drugs, so yes i do know that the choice was his and im not blaming john or anyone for rivers death but himself, just like i blame my friend for taking his life its nobodys fault but the person who takes the drugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
August 21 2005, 2:02 PM 

Daisy,

There have been accounts that John was doing drugs with River that night, but that really does not matter since each of them decided to do the drugs on their own. Both adults made decisions that night, no one was at fault, it was just Rivers time to go.

Alexia
(no login)

No score for this post
August 21 2005, 2:23 PM 

There is a paragraph in Antony Kedelis's autobiography about River Phoenix saying he was a regular cocaine user and came over to his house to hang out , but he didn't want to say anything else to upset the family....

ashley
(no login)

No score for this post
August 24 2005, 4:30 PM 

wait what do you mean he didn't want to say anything else to hurt his family..... is it he didn't want to mention anything else about river doing drugs because he already passed...or what!

ana
(Login ana83)

No score for this post
August 24 2005, 6:54 PM 

i am sure even now, when river's family look back they see pictures of a sweet innocent little boy. they also have to deal with the fact that this innocent loving child grew up to be a drug addict. this type of thing would hurt them more that anything, so i think this statement is a way of saying "there IS more, but this stuff is worse (emotionally for them) than what is already out there".

as much as river fans might fume at his statement, it is someting that would be respectable to those he cares about. river died and ugly painful death, it is not fair that his family suffer the same fate everyday of their lives.

(Login xJadax)

No score for this post
January 31 2006, 12:11 PM 

John Frusciante did not give River Phoenix the drugs, a lot of people just want to accuse him because he was a herion addict duing that time. It's appauling if River's parents said that, possibly because John was a drug addict during that time and they jumped to accusations, because they weren't there. John Frusciante was performing on stage when River was in the bathroom getting the drugs from a drugdealer and when he was dying. John Frusciante and River Phoenix were great friends and made music together all the time it's a shame people want to blame one of his best friends for his death. After River Phoenix's death he became a heavy heroin addict and almost died, after experimenting with it he had became addicted, but the fact of the matter is there is no proof that John Frusciante gave him the drugs and the fact is that he was performing infront of a crowd so obviously he did not give him it. John Frusciante is not a drugdealer. John has had enough problems in his life, he doesn't need to be accused of something he did not do. No I'm not picking sides or anything I'm just stating facts I love River Phoenix and I'm not disrespecting him in any way, let him rest in peace.

Colleen
(Login Riverfanalways)

No score for this post
January 31 2006, 2:49 PM 

Well it is said that John did not go to the funeral... the rest of the musicians did. Guilty.. we will never really know.. but i have a suspicion. If it was him he made a really bad choice.. and so did out beloved River. It was a awful mistake. We all make mistakes.. but his eneded in death. I feel sad so often. I really love River alot!

Ally.M
(Login Ally.M)

No score for this post
February 4 2006, 10:27 PM 

Okay, there is a chance that a relative of Phoenix's to that photo, but do you think they would be as insensetive to sell it to the media/tabloids? I think somoene unrelated broke into the home and took that photo, but also, dont exclude the idea of it being an inside job. Somneone from the funeral home could have easily done it. Its not unlikely. I think its a huge possibility.

Have a nice day

puny mortal
(Login punymortal)

what the hell

Score 2.0 (1 person)
February 20 2006, 8:28 AM 

This is a coincidence, I was just reading the chapter about the recording of blood sugar sex magik last night, where River popped in frequently to visit with his massive coke and alcohol habit. (still alive in the book so far). And I was searching google to see if it's true that John Frusciante lost fingers due to his drug use. I typed in John Frusciante Fingers and this is where it brought me.

Fascinating reading. I can't believe people were actually blaming poor frusciante for river's death. I'm 30 now, and was a huge River Phoenix fan in my teens. I used to read everything about him I came across, saw all his movies, had sh*tloads of posters, was very bummed when he died, and yes I still remember the breaking news on the radio and everything that was going on in my life that day. Basically I was a geek for him. But I moved on after he moved on too. In all my readings I never once came across anything that implied John Frusciante had anything to do with it, I dunno where you people get your facts.

Back in the day it was implied by the media that young Joaquin (or Leaf I think he was still called then) was the 'culprit', though not explicitly expressed. Perhaps it was just because he was the one who called 911. Poor dude, imagine how f***ing devasting that night would've been for him, and then to be subtely accused! Whatever, and whoever, clearly it was nobodies fault but our man River. Who was of course a man, and an intelligent one at that. He knew exactly what he was doing, even if what occurred wasn't ultimately what he was aiming for.

All of us who do drugs take and accept everything that can possibly happen into our soul, and that is part of the thrill. If River could now see those of you who are expressing such hatred towards such a close friend of his, I'm sure he would be deeply saddened and disgusted by your hurtful words. Was he a spiteful person? No.

I'm positive he didn't mean to die that night... but you do THAT many drugs, as regularly as he apparantly did, and something's gotta give at some point. It's just unfortunate it happened so publicly. Of course it's incredibly unfortunate that it happened at all, but such is life, and hey, his legend lives on. He didn't go on to disappoint his 'fans' with 20 crap movies in a row where he's coked out of his brain and can't act for shite. He died at the peak of his life which is all the more tragic, but in a way the best anyone could ask for. Especially taking into consideration the course he was taking, it's really not such a horrible thing.

Death is not the end. RIP River.

(Login anyangell)

Re: what the hell

No score for this post
February 22 2006, 2:53 PM 

river is the only one to blame hes the that chose to take that drug

(Login Riverfanalways)

No score for this post
March 8 2006, 3:26 PM 

JOHN WAS THE JUDGE JUROR AND EXECUTONER!

RIVER WAS JUST EXPERIMENTING. ANY REAL ADDICT WOULD NOT DONE PERSIAN BROWN FOR GOODNESS SAKE. RIO WAS NAIVE.

HE WAS TOO TRUSTING MY SWEET RIVER. SAD.

Nicola
(Login Nicola.)

Colleen, get in the real world !!!

No score for this post
March 11 2006, 7:23 AM 

What age are you Colleen ? Because he seem so bloody naive. Have you read or watched any documentary about River ? Have you seen his autopsy ?

He was a full blown junkie, an addict, i cant believe you would say that an addict wouldnt take persian brown ? If someone offered a junkie persian brown they would think christmas had come early !!! Its the rolls royce of the heroin world !!!

(Login Riverfanalways)

No score for this post
March 12 2006, 12:46 PM 

Nicola i am 35. Yes i have watched everything on river i love him. Everyone knows persian can kill you with just a little bit. River was so innocent he snorted it not knowing the potency level. It was just a mistake. You dont haffta be rude about it ok. River was innocent compared to the junkies that gave him the drugs. Peace

Nicola
(Login Nicola.)

35 ???

No score for this post
March 17 2006, 3:50 AM 

If you are 35 then that worries me. If you can't admit that River was quite obviously at the height of his addiction then i sugest that you take off the rose coloured glasses and face the real world !!! River's public persona was very much different from his personal one. He was a junkie, an addict, it didn't make him a bad person but he was an addict.

(Login blueblackviolets)

Junkie Etiquette

No score for this post
July 14 2010, 5:12 AM 

I have wondered why I never saw it anywhere on the web that JF was the one to share his drugs with River.

That said, the Phoenix family with 12 hours made it known through River's lawyer Eric Greenspan, who happened to be John's lawyer as well as the other Peppers, that they didn't want anyone prosecuted for "participating with River in ingesting drugs."

Why?

A trial could have brought out that River and John went in on this deal together, that the purchase of a speedball was a pre-arranged thing. River had been using for four straight days by then after 2 months in the desert. this is not fact, but it wouldn't be surprising if, John being one of River's drug buddies since the summer when they made Blood Sugar, that River could've asked John to bring something to the club three days earlier, or 3 hours earlier, or not at all. Either way a trial would've made clear that River's entire persona was a hoax not only on the public but worse, to his family. They didn't want to know how far back the problem went or what he was doing in LA during his teen years out there unsupervised and who can blame them. He was dead and whatever they found out would only haunt them.

It is worth noting that the Phoenix family lived and lives in Florida, where Judge John Frusciante Sr. has been a Broward County judge since 1980. Different county, but obviously John's dad was very very politically connected in Florida. (and still is)

did anyone post the interview with River's father where he does blame John for pushing drugs on River when he was trying to get clean? The father John wanted to have Frusciante arrested because he knew River had tried to help John get clean at one point - his venom at the time towards John is beyond clear. "Tell him if I find him I'm going to kill him," he told the reporter. "He's very rich and very young, 23 like River, but he's a terrible addict who has become a pusher...."

I always wondered if that wasn't a hot shot intended for John, who owed money all over town and had a big mouth dealer's didn't appreciate. The level of cocaine was 6 times the lethal dose. This is to me the only shame there was never an investigation. six times? no one else finds that odd? Now in a 2001 interview John laughs while talking about how that night 'that River died' he, John, threw up all over Gibby Haynes. Just couldn't stop puking. And his tolerance was obviously higher than River's, who had been until that week clean for nearly 7 weeks. It's fair to assume John wasn't clean for 7 weeks prior and had a higher tolerance that led to extreme vomiting from this super laced dose, but not, essentially, a breaking apart or mini-explosion of the heart, which is the kind of heart attack that happened to River.

Junkie etiquette may have John to save the first "taste" for River - with the best of intentions. I don't think I'd ever want to have the first taste of street drugs that could be laced with six times a fatal coke dose or could be laced with bug spray or cynaide. But in that world, at that level of usage, and being two spoiled dumb young guys, it's a sign of affection like the person who first samples the wine in a restaurant. But it seems whether or not he went first, John did partake, because he was admittedly puking everywhere.

I adore John Frusciante and it's clear he went to hell and back over this while a very young man already in way over his head in every aspect of his life, including mental illness and depression. Listen to "The Past Recedes' with it's lyrics like "to be near you first got to die/so I gave it a try/and what do you know?/that time was so long ago....

There is nothing, I'm sure, any of us could ever say including whoever labeled John a "murderer" that would match the hell he has already put himself through over this. Clearly part of his recovery was coming to terms with it, which allows him to be able to talk freely (relatively) to the press these days about River.

One last thing - had River's brother and girlfriend called for help when he told them something was wrong - or had John not apparently bolted when River got sick and instead stuck around and immediately called for help, River likely would have lived. The 15 minutes that passed between the first snort and the collapsing onto the sidewalk face first was crucial crucial crucial. Young Jaquin was clearly protecting his big brother's secret, and cannot be blamed - just like Frusciante cannot. A series of things involving a drug addict's immediate circle went on that night that led to this tragedy - no one person caused River to die - except, honestly, River.

(Login blueblackviolets)

40 years

No score for this post
July 14 2010, 5:20 AM 

also, that really was so, so long ago which makes it no less tragic but JF is not the same person in any way. He's now a 40 year old man. Riv would be 40 in August. They were 23 then. I know I'm the one who posted here after three years, but it was just upsetting to see John at 40 still living this down. then again that is the price of fame....

(no login)

Actually

No score for this post
December 5 2010, 10:53 PM 

Actually around 2001 John Frusciante became completely clean and re-joined the Red Hot Chili Peppers making 3 amazing albums, and also making around 8 or 9 solo albums; 6 of which came out over a 6 month period and is some of the most insightful amazing music I've ever heard.

JOHN FRUSCIANTE IS A GOD! STOP HATING ON HIS ASS!

John Frusciante has not only gone through drug addiction, loosing his best friend, and almost dying, and then coming back making amazing music, quit all drugs, became a vegan, does yoga, and is a completely spiritual person.

Go, check out his music. Most preferably "Curtains" And "Shadows collide with people" "From the sound inside"

(no login)

Also

No score for this post
December 5 2010, 10:56 PM 

Also the cd "Smile from the streets you hold" Is the cd containing the song height down(Soul remover) which is the song that John Frusciante and River Phoenix made together. It's actually very nice.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 24 2012, 10:06 AM 

Why do you people care about these things? There are millions of people in the world, humans have existed for millions of years, this really isn't that important, don't waste your life worshipping people.

it does not matter my name
(no login)

Score 1.0 (1 person)
April 1 2012, 10:59 AM 

Yes, i know it was him that gave River almost pure heroin! John is a ugly and spineless. He is a nasty druggie! I wish that River was never friends with John or any of the red hot chili peppers because they are all shady!.. john is disgusting and will burn in hell. FUCK JOHN I HOPE HE OVERDOSES! ... FUCKING JUNKIE ! RIVER WAS TOO GOOD FOR JOHN! If i ever saw him i would spit a hocker on him.. fucking lowlife rotton toothed loser! Die already!

(Login MRiick)

Don't blame John

No score for this post
May 20 2012, 7:45 PM 

Persian brown is supposed to contain a mix of meth and heroin. Whatever River snorted that night was laced with cocaine and/or mixed improperly. I'm 99% certain that there must have been other people (maybe not so famous) that OD'd on the same sh*t around that same time. Whoever mixed that cocktail clearly had no idea what they were doing (or intended a fatal dose). Taking hardcore drugs puts your life in the hands of the people that made the drug you are taking.

Prescription narcotics have a defined amount of milligrams. Street narcotics do not and are ALWAYS cut with other things.

(Login anthopies)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
September 29 2013, 10:13 PM 

By saying you want john frusciante to die, how does that make you any better than him, you might as well be a killer just how you said john is. As much as you may think john 'killed' river, he has redeemed himself as much as anyone can. He and his music has given me reason to live so many fucking times and he has done so for so many other people too.

And for everyone else saying that john was the 'dealer' and just gave river the drugs for money, there was no money involved in this. John was not a dealer and he offered river the drugs as a friend, NOT A DEALER.

P.S. John hasn't don't drugs in almost 15 years now, he's not going to overdose you stupid dick

(Login JJbudd)

No score for this post
October 20 2013, 11:49 AM 

That's even worse. He's no friend. A friend would have tried to get River to stop, not facilitate a habit that could, and ultimately did, leave to his death.

What a joke.

(Login anthopies)

No score for this post
October 21 2013, 5:18 AM 

Let me just remind you that John was on drugs too at the time. If you and a friend both like skydiving, which is a dangerous sport, and you took your friend somewhere to go skydiving and your friend happened to die, does that make you responsible for their death? Yes, sure if you didn't invite them then it wouldntve happened.. And we all know skydiving is dangerous. Does that make you a killer? And does it mean you were doing something wrong in the first place, which was inviting him, just because skydiving is dangerous? No. He chose to come and take the risk that comes with skydiving

(Login RideHanna)

The scumbag that killed River.

No score for this post
October 24 2013, 9:27 AM 

What do you do, when a so called friend say's "Hey Riv drink this! " You have two options; you could politely refuse saying no thanks man I don't know what you put in that drink the outcome to this choice is to survive. Or you can choose to trust the so called friend and gulp it down and die shortly after. The person that killed River is more than likely the person that handed that fatal drink to him, whether that person intended to kill him, who can say. As River lay dying on the pavement did the snake slither out of the Viper room into the night?

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

What is this I hear about a spiked drink ?

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 12:01 PM 

That is illegal to give someone a drug laced drink. That is murder. Did this happen ???

Natalee Halloway also died from a spiked drink and had a terrible seizure before she died.

Current Topic - John Frusciante is a killer
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings