<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings  

Question about pictures?

May 16 2005 at 1:40 AM
No score for this post
Barb  (no login)

I know from what I've read on this board, alot of people would like the River Phoenix coffin photos taken down. In another post, someone mentioned Selena and it made me remember something. A couple of years ago, I read somewhere that Selena's fans, friends, and family were very upset about the morgue photos of her that had been published and had made their way to the web. The people that were responsible for displaying the pictures of her were threatened (legally, physically..I'm not sure), and since then, the pics have disappeared. At least, I think they have, I haven't been able to find them.I am definitely not saying that anyone should be threatened, I just think it's strange. The pictures of her that so many found offensive are gone, and the photos of River still remain. I'm not sure how I feel about the pictures, but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ally
(no login)

Re: Question about pictures?

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 2:43 AM 

Hey im Ally! Look, the reason we brought her up was because of me! I found another website with another version(photo on a differnet angle) of Riv in his coffin! And on that same site was a photo of Selena in her coffin! Actually, her family leaked that photo to the press! Thats why I was shocked! Weird huh?

Carolina
(no login)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 8:08 AM 

Im from Mexico City, There was 2 kind of Selena´s pictures, the funeral one´s and the autopsy´s, In the funeral she looked beautiful, in peace like you saw her. They had remove the autopsy photos, because they were disrespectful, horrible pictures. The photo of River Phoenix, it´s not pretty at all, I think it will never disappear from the net. People shoudn´t look it, that´s all you can do. Sorry for my english.

Carolina

Ally
(no login)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 8:29 AM 

Selena's coffin pic, she had colour in her face, she looked peaceful and at rest! Rivers photo gives me chills! His body is blue, he looks ..... i dont know! Maybe its the way the body is placed, but I have seen people in their coffins beofre(my own family members) and they all look peaceful! Theres just something about Rivers pic that made me feel like....AHHHH i cant describe it!

(no login)

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 12:24 PM 

i agree da piccy of him in his coffin he dunt luk peaceful or settled. it makes me so upset nd un happy wen i luk at it it shunt b on da net !

RubberDuckie
(no login)

No score for this post
June 11 2005, 3:57 AM 

No problem on the English. I know her family leaked the photos of the funeral, her dad had a fit because her husband sold them (or so I've always heard). The autopsy ones are still available, even with the threats, but now it goes on PHP rather then just on sites.

E
Gotta love the long unexpected breaks from the net.

(Login leonie_river)

No score for this post
July 1 2005, 1:38 PM 

I've seen that one 2!

(Login Rouks)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 8:56 AM 

Rivers coffin picture was edited and he didn't look that awful at all during the funeral, the priest who held his funeral has already confirmed it. He said something that he looked beautiful and peaceful when he lay in his coffin, and I think that everyone should ignore it because that coffin picture doesn't show the real River at all.

ana
(no login)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 9:29 AM 

like i said before, could have been a cheap camera, or the photo could have been doctored with a colour filter. or it just be a case of bad lighting in the funeral home, or wherever it was taken.

Ally
(no login)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 3:46 PM 

Yeah sorry! I just meant thats whats I felt! When I looked at his pic it just gave me shivers for some reason!

Barb
(no login)

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 9:32 PM 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I posted once before about how I felt about the pictures. I wasn't sure that I was bothered by the fact that I was looking at a picture of River Phoenix dead, or that I was looking at a pic of someone who was obviously dead. I've seen quite a few people after they have passed away, and none of them ever looked like that. I scare easily, so after I saw the pic, I had to sleep with my hallway light on. I should have thought about it before I looked at the pic, I should have known better, but my curiosity wins over my fear every time.

Ally
(no login)

No score for this post
May 17 2005, 1:35 AM 

Yeah I was curious as well! I mean, I did know that it was a real photo before i looked at it, because I saw the other photos of Chris Farley and all the others on the list before I saw Rivers name there! I just wanted to see it! I dont regret seeing it, becaue I dont think there is anything wrong with it! What I do think is wrong, is that people put it all over the internet ect! Thats what I am upset about, and not for me, for Rio's family! They are the ones who suffer the most!

moe
(no login)

that was very graphic

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 12:52 PM 

I really shouldnt have clicked that it was very up setting does anyone agree that the picture shouldnt be there ?

Jiggy Jam
(no login)

Re: that was very graphic

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 3:22 PM 

Moe, what kind of warning should they have placed on the link that would have told you it was very graphic?

Would you rather be able to make the decision to visit certain photos or would you rather have others make those decisions for you?

Think about it!

Pheobe
(no login)

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 7:31 PM 

Someone made the decision for everyone else to be able to view it by obtaining it illegally in the first place.

If someone doesnt want to look at it, then don't. But the way the photo was obtained is what is wrong. It was illegal, with out the family's consent, and because of THAT people shouldn't look at it. Not because of sensorship.

Jiggy Jam
(no login)

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 9:03 PM 

Please point us to proof that shows the photo was snapped illegally.

Secondly, it should not matter to you whether or not someone else wants to see the photo. If you don't want to see it, don't look at it. But you should not care whether or not someone else wants to see it.

Pheobe
(no login)

No score for this post
June 13 2005, 10:23 PM 

Very true. I don't know if it was obtained illegally. I can only assume. But doesn't that mean that it can only be assumed that the werent obtained illegally? And if I shouldnt care about wether people want to look at pictures, why should you care if people want to idolize him despite his very unhonorable death [not one of the people, but just saying] ??

Jiggy Jam
(no login)

No score for this post
June 14 2005, 8:20 AM 

The Phoenix family has been trying for years to determine how the photos were taken and to bring the photographer to justice, but they have not been able to. This leads us to the likely conclusion that there is probably no proof out there that they were taken illegally. I'm sure they've hired the best lawyers and private investigators money can buy in an attempt to uncover the culprit.

Many people like to claim that some malicious paparazzi photographer broke into the mortuary, repositioned the body and took the photos, whereas it's more likely that they were simply taken by either a family member attending the funeral or by an employee of the mortuary.

In regards to your final question:

Issue 1) It's actually quite simple. Wishing for a higher level of control of the internet is a very dangerous game that's hard to undo. People should be more reluctant to give up their freedoms.

Issue 2) People wanting to idolize a drug addict is a major flaw of human character and morality in any value system. People should not be so willing to sell-out their beliefs and values because they have a crush on photos and films of a person they never knew.

Pheobe
(no login)

No score for this post
June 14 2005, 11:19 AM 

Very true. But can't it be said that these people that are going on & on about how much they love someone they never met do not have any values or beliefs that contradict with what they say?

We all have opinions and mine is that I feel its wrong for people to look at that photo. Yours is that people shouldn't praise a man who died such a seedy death and lived such a seedy life. I agree with you on that(its really weird, annoying, creepy..shall I continue?)but that doesn't mean that everyone else does. By saying its wrong, you make these people who obviously aren't old enough to see that being cute & a good actor doesn't make you a good man feel attacked.

I usually agree with everything you say, just not the way you say it. Although, I can see you are a intelligent person who obviously knows what your saying and saying it the way you like. I'm not here to change anyone, just speak my point. So are you, and so are many other people. It might not be a very good opinion, but its an opinion at that. Nothing you (or I for that matter) can do about it.

Jiggy Jam
(no login)

No score for this post
June 14 2005, 12:47 PM 

Very well said Pheobe and I think you hit the nail on the head with one of your comments. You said "these people who obviously aren't old enough to see that being cute & a good actor doesn't make you a good man". I think this is what most of the "I love River" posters are experiencing.

Wouldn't you or shouldn't we consider it our responsibility to try to educate, inform and enlighten everyone that being a good person is more than what you look like? That a person's character is made up of the whole of one's being, not just the parts that we like to look at.

And by the way, I too think that looking at the photo walks along the fine line of good taste. But regardless, each person is given the opportunity to make an informed decision about whether they want to see the photo. It is not forced upon anyone, therefore we should all be cool with the fact that the opportunities for doing what we want to do (within the law of course) are there for us.

Pheobe
(no login)

No score for this post
June 14 2005, 8:49 PM 

I'm very happy you agreed with me lol.

Honestly, I work with little kids all the time. The ones I work with know nothing of River Phoenix and probably never will, but its evident that some kids SOMEWHERE in this world do. If I thought that they were listening, I too would be trying my best to make them see that whats on the surface isnt what decides a person's personality.

Hey, BEFORE the drugs, he might of been a swell guy to be around. Hell, even DURING the drugs he might of been someone that could have a good conversation with you (probably not, but I'm a the glass is half full type of person). But an idol? C'mon. Few people that we KNOW personally can achieve that status. You shouldn't make an entertainer your idol to begin with. And to make someone who wasnt even alive when you were born is just plain silly.

I will try my best to help people see that you shouldn't idolize anyone really. Esp. someone who isnt living, died in such a way, and YOU DONT KNOW. (Hey, how about I'm the good cop & you're the bad one?)

Cindi
(no login)

No score for this post
June 16 2005, 5:23 PM 

Hey all

Just a question, but who was Selena? Sorry to sound dumb! I'm in England - was she a famous American actress?

Peace,
Cindi. xxx

Pheobe
(no login)

No score for this post
June 16 2005, 8:02 PM 

She was a singer who had been shot by the president of her fanclub. For more on her life, you should look for the movie, "Selena". She's played by Jennifer Lopez in it. Good luck!

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

hi cindi...

No score for this post
June 17 2005, 6:03 AM 

...i'm in england too! derbyshire to be precise. yeah sunny ol' ashbourne. it's beautiful up here (dovedale etc) but it's never sunny. don't supoose you could send some sun up pretty please?

Kiwifan
(no login)

That was very graphic

No score for this post
June 17 2005, 5:03 AM 

I saw the photo and feel that it was not River at all. Some sicko has substituted a photo of someone else. No doubt causing River's family further unnessary grief along the way.

Anonymous
(no login)

I agree...

No score for this post
June 17 2005, 5:42 AM 

...but what about the aleka's attic t-shirt,the carnation what his mother placed next to him and the dyed short black hair? I know some people don't want to believe it's river but somehow I at least think it is

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: That was very graphic

No score for this post
June 17 2005, 7:39 AM 

It is River

Cindi
(no login)

Hey Anon !!

No score for this post
June 18 2005, 4:02 PM 

I'm in Manchester and for once, it's boiling!!!!!! Don't you just love our little English heatwave?!! It's cloudy though - no sun - pah!!!

Take care honey,
Peace,
Cindi. xxx

Lucas
(no login)

Re: Hey Anon !!

No score for this post
June 20 2005, 1:11 PM 

People are curious sometimes, also morbid anothers, it´s difficult for someone not to see the the picture, if they put on more warnings for avoiding people to see the photo, it won´t work, because you want to see what is forbidden. It´s just an opinion.

Jiggy Jam
(no login)

No score for this post
June 20 2005, 2:16 PM 

OK then if more warnings make people look at it then perhaps there should be no warnings?

I think you are correct that it's beacuse people are just curious. And that's fine. But it's not fair for someone to look at the photos and then complain that the photos weren't labeled approrpriately.

Many people say: "I saw the warnings but I looked anyway and I was appaled at what I saw! The photos should be labeled better!" That doesn't make sense.

Here's the solution: if you don't want to see the graphic photos, don't look! But it's OK if others want to look.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
June 20 2005, 3:30 PM 

I think you´re totally right

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

No score for this post
June 21 2005, 6:10 AM 

yeah I love out little british heatwave we've got going on! it was boiling here at the weekend and believe me,it doesn't get much worse than having two children who want to play outside when you want to go in because it's so hot!!! lol

i'm in sunny derbyshire and today it's very windy and cloudy. bring out the sun and the beers!!! lol

nat

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
June 23 2005, 7:56 PM 

of course it´s River

Mindy
(no login)

No score for this post
June 28 2005, 11:51 AM 

Why is the photo of River so scary? I havent looked at it but im new (a friend told me bout this site) and i can't believe you can actually see him dead?! I dont think I'll ever look but River was a beautiful and sweet person. Why he is scary now he is dead?
Mindy

Jess
(no login)

Photo

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 6:27 AM 

I think the people on here are right. If you dont want to look at the photo then dont look at it, but for people that do want to look at it, then they obviously have some curiosity in seeing him like this.
For others, maybe it will help them and for others out there that use drugs... maybe it will make them realise what can happen to you!
I think the whole river story is very sad and i loved watching him in films.. especially in Stand By Me when he was playing Chris Chambers! To me.. when he died he was still just a little boy who didnt like all the attention from the media! There was obviously a lot going on in his head that he felt that drugs was the only way for him to be able to deal with it! I dont care if no one else agrees with me, but that is how i feel!
Rest in Peace XXXX

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

Re: Photo

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 7:07 AM 

well said

Jess
(no login)

Photo

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 6:22 PM 

Thanks I am just glad someone agrees with me
xx

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
June 30 2005, 12:23 AM 

I also agree with you !!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
(Login river_fan1985)

No score for this post
June 30 2005, 8:46 AM 

i agree with you jess

Current Topic - Question about pictures?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement