<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings  

Samantha Mathis

January 15 2007 at 11:15 AM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
  (Login RiverBottom)

Hi All,

I once watched an interview and Samantha Mathis was talking about River and she wasn't saying anything nice about him. I don't recall the intire the interview for she was only on for about 30 seconds, but I do recall her saying something along the lines of "I don't really care about River, I have forgotten about him and the things he did. It's in the past." Does anyone know why she feels so sour toward him?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
rikki
(Login rikki444)

Re: Samantha Mathis

No score for this post
January 15 2007, 4:50 PM 

sorry to sound partonizing but are you sure you WATCHED this interview?

Its just that something along the lines of that was posted as a quote on her IMDB page and was proved to be fake...
I have HEARD a taped interview in which some of the lines of the quote were said but READING them all jumbled around it is easy to take what she in fact said out of context....

for example, she did say she had put river behind her (as she had to do) but follows that up with the fact she will never forget him. She also says something along the lines of her forgetting about the things he did- but, refering to his drug use- she follows it up with (because) he did so many things he SHOULD be remembered for, NOT his drug use.
She ends with saying what a hard time it was for her and how 'the other day' she turned on the tv and 'i love you death' was on,

'and there he was' she says, and thats how she likes to remember him.

Also, she takes part in an interview in the extra features of 'the thing called love' dvd- she talks about river with admiration and recounts some happy stories. She also says the reason she took the part was to work with river and that he 'was the greatest actor of my generation'.

If you did indeed see that interview and thats what she said, im sorry! but i have never heard her speak about him in any other way but complimentary...

rikki
(Login rikki444)

No score for this post
January 15 2007, 5:01 PM 

oh! just to add...(devils advocate here!)

if she did say those things, i could understand why....
her whole career at that point became over-shadowed with the fact she was "river's girlfriend" and now, to many people, the main reason they know her is because of where she was on the 31st october 1993...not to mention the fact her boyfriend took her out and died in front of her- i imagine as well as being completely devastated and heartbroken by him being taken away from her, there would also be that resentment towards him for putting her in that position and then the guilt for feeling the resentment....im no doctor but...i think that how id be, definatly.

(Login RiverBottom)

THANKS RIKKI

No score for this post
January 15 2007, 10:33 PM 

Yes, I did see the special features on "A thing Called Love" for I own it and it is my one of my favorite River movies. I can not recall the interview I seen where Mathis says these things but I do thank you for shedding the light. I to do believe that it was just the press editing it to sound more juicy and appealing. I honestly could not believe that anyone could just put River in their past as a "learning experience". But I do understand that she put him in her past because she can't go on with her life by keeping him in the present. River was great soul that obviously had some problems. But who can honestly say that they don't have problems??? Thanks again Rikki for your help.

Sam

By the way.... Did you ever get the link for the River Phoenix Final 24 episode??? I can't find it any where on the internet...

(Login Riverfanalways)

No score for this post
January 18 2007, 3:47 PM 

I did not see that... but i did read in a magazine he said that is was " the worst night of her life .. she said it was like a nightmare". duh

I dont care for her. She seemed fake to me... thats my opinion.

(Login rios-girl4ever)

No score for this post
January 18 2007, 4:23 PM 

I myself have always like Samantha and from what i have read and seen i really don't think she said anything nasty about River or ever would. Now... that being said i still think that Martha although not as pretty as Sam was River's soulmate and maybe if they would of stayed together things would of turned out differently for River.

rikki
(Login rikki444)

No score for this post
January 19 2007, 10:10 AM 

I agree Val, martha and River seemed to have something very special, I have always had the up-most respect for martha a. because she decided to end their relationship when she became uncomfortable with the drug thing and he would not listen to her B. because she never ended their friendship and was still there for him (very admirable i thought) and C. because when he died she was the only person who wasnt afraid, told it like it was and didnt cover it up with 'he was so sensitive', 'god wanted it this way', 'he was so naive!'. Martha has balls. I think the situation for River would have definatly turned out different had he stayed with her.

The thing that puts me off about Samantha is that it has been well documented that her motivation for taking part in 'the thing called love' was River being in it. It has also been well documented that she was in a relationship when she and River got together- thats always made me think that maybe there was something career-oriantated for her in thier relationship. Im just cynical i suppose! lol, River was in a more or less in a relationship when they got together too, so i shouldn't use that against her!

a man of faith
(Login amanoffaith)

No score for this post
January 19 2007, 9:06 PM 

One thing I'm most certain of is that both t.v. and other forms of media are edited a lot. In fact some times the editing is slanted toward a certain opinion whether that was the original intent or not of the person interviewed.
For example my family was watching several shows lately where clips of the show were shown, but the clips were never part of the show we saw. So, where did the clips come from? Outer space maybe?
A person should not always take the few sound bites we hear seriously.

Liz
(Login ElizabethWilliams)

No score for this post
January 19 2007, 9:42 PM 

Yeah, ive always liked Martha. Haven't seen her at all, don't know if its just Australia (we miss some things you guys wouldn't). I like her and too she isn't like a model, she isn't ugly, but i think im sick of seeing perfect actresses in the media. She was skinny and lanky with blonde hair and deep voice, and i think she was more convincing than other actresses.

(Login christellephoenix.)

No score for this post
April 19 2007, 5:40 AM 

Well I see this quote in IMDB.Why this quote is here if is fake? I know than Samantha mathis dated with Noah Wyle in 1995 just 2 years after River!And she s have other boyfriends after River.I dont like her.River was too good for her!I dont like Suzanne Solgot! But I have respect Martha Plimpton because she s have really try help River.

ekoostik
(Login hookahville)

No score for this post
April 27 2007, 10:31 PM 

Samantha had a boyfriend (Noah Wyle) two years after River died...how dare she. I'm being sarcastic there. Unless I misunderstood your post you seem to be saying she shouldn't have had other boyfriends. Listen guys, River was young, so was Samantha and odds are they would have split up eventually anyway. She had to move forward with her life. The fact that she dated Noah Wyle and whoever else doesn't mean she didn't care for River but what do you want her to do stop living life?

Anonymous
(Login amanoffaith)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 28 2007, 3:00 AM 

Of coarse people have to go on living if they are actully able to physically. Its not that our brains can always forget. But what is great even with some trauma a person can heal with both time, determination, and forgiveness. Yes, forgiveness for the pain either circumstance or people give one another. Prayer to a living God for me does not always change the circumstance, but crying out to a God whom I am sure loves mankind helps me to change a person's attitude, and even a broken heart. I'm sure the lady still cared for River then, and probably still now. Its a hard thing to just cut one's love off from any one who is close to us. Especially a beautiful mate or romantic person we love even if it don't work out that original love doesn't go away really.

No score for this post
April 29 2007, 5:19 AM 

Of course I m glad she s have news boyfriends. I just mean than this relationship dont continued because River was too good for her!

(Login Riverfanalways)

No score for this post
June 23 2007, 1:38 PM 

Samantha should be ashamed of not getting river the medical attention he desperatley needed. Instead she ran down the street..... i read she showed up at the hosptial when he died and demanded to see his body.. WHO THE FUCK DOES SHE THINK SHE IS??? RIVERS MOTHER WAS NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO SEE HER OWNS SON BODY BUT THEY LET SAMANTHA???? SICK!!! Have you seen her lately... she is my age 36 and looks in her forties... not a pretty sight. i guess what comes around goes around. shes in no movies anymore.. she is an unheard of. river will always be loved... samantha wont

No score for this post
June 27 2007, 6:36 AM 

I m agree with you!

rikki
(Login rikki444)

No score for this post
June 27 2007, 11:34 AM 

"i read she showed up at the hosptial when he died and demanded to see his body.. WHO THE FUCK DOES SHE THINK SHE IS???"

probably she thought she was someone who just watched he healthy 23 year old boyfriend die in front of her?
id NEED to see a body too because that is the most unbelievable thing. rivers mother would have been allowed to see her sons body.

i have to say, your comment is one of the most twisted and bitter ive seen on these boards. river would be so proud!

Anonymous
(Login fatymma)

No score for this post
July 21 2007, 5:07 PM 

I can understand Samantha because (unfortunately)I had a similar experience. When I was 14 ( in 98 ) I met a boy and when I first looked at him I had such a strong feeling of love and friendship so I was pretty sure that I have found my soulmate.And I was 100% sure that he was feeling the same...(I know sounds like a movie scene but it's true).We were together for 2 years but only on vacations cause he lived 310 miles away from me.Anyway,in 2000 he died on a car crash in Spain.He died immediately (it was one week before his 19th birthday and a month before I was gonna see him).I was completely shocked and devastated.I cries for days until I ran out of tears and still cried every night for a hole year. I didn't go to his funeral cause I didn't wanted to see him dead I just wanted to remember him alive.Two years after I met my husband and started a new life but it hurts me still and sometimes I do cry a lot.So I can understand Sam (and she've been through worse than me cause she was there and saw River die)and she have the right to feel bitter and hurtful we can not judge her (even if they weren't very much in love it's still an awful thing to experience).I truly feel sorry for her poor girl...with all the people judging her actions in such a traumatical moment.Maybe she blames herself too and maybe she thinks that she could have done something to save him (like:If only I had told him to stay in the hotel that night...) We can not imagine what she thinks and what she feels.

Analise
(Login nordicgirl)

No score for this post
July 23 2007, 3:41 AM 

Yes fatymma I totally agree with you 100%.It cant have been nice for samantha back then and she still has to live with that awful night for the rest of her life too.I'm so sorry fatymma that you had to go through a similar experience too especially at a very young age...its terrible to lose anyone close to your heart but when your young and just beginning the path of life is even more so.

Anonymous
(Login fatymma)

Thank you

No score for this post
July 23 2007, 3:05 PM 

Thanks for your kind words Nordicgirl
I appreciate that

(Login rios-girl4ever)

Re:Samantha Mathis

No score for this post
July 25 2007, 3:28 PM 

"shes in no movies anymore.. she is an unheard of."

She has actually been in several movies recently and has her own business..here is the link

http://www.succulentla.com/

and as far as her looks...

...she looks pretty good to me

rikki
(Login rikki444)

Re: Re:Samantha Mathis

No score for this post
July 25 2007, 8:22 PM 

"looking for enviromentally concious ideas for her landscaping"

he truly got to everybody huh?...maybe Sam is so 'enviromentaly concious' all on her own but i doubt it.

I'll just enjoy my own thoughts... that she now has her own buisness born out of an idea she had due to concerns she adopted because of Mr Phoenix. i like that.

Anonymous
(Login amanoffaith)

No score for this post
July 26 2007, 11:47 PM 

fatymma,

been gone on vacation for awhile, and just read your awful experience.
I'm so sorry for such an unexpected experience at such a young age for you.
I don't know all the answers thats for sure; even as a man of faith; Paul the apostle said we see through a glass darkly.
The only thing I can say is that over some time a person can forget the tough things, and remember the better times. At least I hope that is what will happen to you eventually.

Anonymous
(Login fatymma)

No score for this post
July 27 2007, 4:02 AM 

Thank you for your words MOF I'm pretty much ok now (most of the time...)but I truly believe that I will see him again I hope i'm right...Anyway, it's good to talk to you again,I hope that your vacations were good ones

(Login RachelDavisx)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 11 2013, 4:06 AM 

Are you serious ?

How can you say something as foolish? Did you know River and Samantha? NO, so shut-your-mouth, I am shocked by your comments.
The truth is that your sources are WRONG.
River loved him very much, he had a real crush on her, and vice versa.

True words are there: I miss River Phoenix. I remember reading an item Effective His passing about how much he wanted Samantha Mathis (his co-star in The Thing Called Love and girlfriend at the time Time of the Old death). I loved how he was so passionate about His feelings about her. That He Told his friends his "head was going to pop if he did not get to hold her hand."

And sorry to tell you this, groupies River, but NOBODY could stop him taking the drugs. You know what is an addict? Why are you picking on Samantha, poor girl seriously. You disgusted me. Nobody is responsible for this tragedy.

And Martha has nothing been done to save him either. As friends or girlfriend. River's death, is like that, that's life! It was to be expected.

Bye!

(Login RachelDavisx)

No score for this post
October 11 2013, 4:11 AM 

River loved her* sorry.

(Login RachelDavisx)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 11 2013, 4:16 AM 

To all the haters of Samantha:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

(Login RachelDavisx)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 11 2013, 4:19 AM 

Okay, I'll stop. Peace!

[linked image]

theblackdress
(Login theblackdress)

No score for this post
October 11 2013, 7:40 AM 

LMAO hahahah i love u Rachel !

[linked image]

lol

Anonymous
(Login RachelDavisx)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
October 12 2013, 9:33 AM 

Ps: I'm French, so sorry I speak badly English, well I mean American haha. sad.gif

Anonymous
(Login RachelDavisx)

No score for this post
November 18 2013, 3:12 AM 

Anonymous
(Login RachelDavisx)

No score for this post
November 18 2013, 3:27 AM 

(Login RachelDavisx)

No score for this post
November 18 2013, 3:27 AM 

[linked image]

Jesse Bee
(Login JesseBee)

It is my understanding. She is not bitter.

No score for this post
December 9 2013, 11:03 AM 

She does not feel sour toward River. She just needed to move on with her life. She had to block it out. It was too much to remember. She moved on. She had to after a year of seeing a psychologist and getting clean from drugs. She felt guilty and hurt that she did not save his life. She was very young.

Current Topic - Samantha Mathis
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>View more postings