Return to Forum  

Longshot Plays for Saturday

June 15 2012 at 8:59 PM
Stephen Levinson  (Login orioleboy)
UpInClass Member

Some good possibilities this weekend.

Belmont 6th - MY REDBYRD - tabbed this gal two races ago at 6/1. Didn't run her race in the Violet, but she was supposedly "in season". Always gives a good effort and she picks up Rosie. Don't know if she can beat Federation, who is very classy, so back her up with Federation on top.

Belmont 8th - STAR CHANNEL - let me preface this by saying that Summer Front, Howe Great, and Margano are the horses to beat but we'll try to beat them with Star Channel. This son of turf star English Channel has developed into a nice turf horse. After breaking his maiden for a tag, he then won an optional claimer, where he beat Africanist, a son of Johannesburg who is highly regarded. He then won a restricted stake at Tampa where he scored an 88 Beyer, which has only been exceeded once by anyone in the field. His last was a total throwout as he swerved and lost his rider. Don't know if he was beating Silver Max (best 3 year old turf horse) anyway. Bravo rides at 23% for Pletcher and it's not often you'll get 10/1 on Pletcher. Reverse with the 3 mentioned above. Special shoutout to Margano, one of the Flying Barbaro Brothers, who might turn out to be a nice horse .

Churchill 6th - HEART OF DESTINY - she broke my heart (no pun intended) last year when she was caught in deep stretch in the Alcibiades at 18/1. Has run extremely well on turf, being two 3/4 lengths of being undefeated. Just had a race over the track at the same distance and picks up top jock Bridgmohan. Think the morning line of 12/1 is ridiculous, and really don't expect higher then 8/1, which is still a gift.

Churchill 8th - NEHRO - third race back off the layoff should have him ready to fire his best shot. His 101 Beyer was a career high and we think he can move forward. (Don't think Wise Dan is going to fire another 117). Don' forget, this guy ran second over the track in the Derby, where he split two pretty decent horses. Have to think 6/1-8/1 is a bargain

Colonial 7th - AIR SUPPORT - been on him since last year. Had excuses in both races as a 4 year old and is ready to fire over the course where he had his best race with a 100 Beyer. Gets Solis back who rode him in that race. Shug says he's been working good and that's good enough for me. No longshot, but if he's anything close to his M/L of 9/2, consider it a steal.

Good Luck. I enjoy writing these picks and hopefully can share the wealth.

Steve

This message has been edited by orioleboy on Jun 15, 2012 9:32 PM

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Longshot Plays for Saturdaybig18741Jun 16, 2012, 9:08 AM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayThe BobtailJun 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
  Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayCherokee ScotJun 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayStephen LevinsonJun 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayfrangoochJun 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayMikeJun 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayStephen LevinsonJun 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
 Re: Longshot Plays for SaturdayMikeJun 16, 2012, 1:03 PM