<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Resume

December 22 2004 at 4:22 PM

Ziggy  (Login BroadBrush)
Stewards

Just curious as to who "we" are. Kind of an honor system deal, no exagerations if you please but, first year you set foot in a track, tracks visited, highest odds horse ever picked, largest payoff on a $2 ticket (no matter how much wagered), best day

Year 1969 Preakness ..... though was at Bowie once before that, 63ish, just not old enough to wager so that doesn't count.

TRACKS Pimlico, Laurel, Bowie, Charles Town, Penn National, Delaware Park, Philadelphia Park, Colonial Downs, Belmont Park, Saratoga, Keeneland, Thistledown, Churchill Downs, Santa Anita .... the latter two for Breeders Cups ..... not counting the three harness tracks, though love Ocean Downs near Ocean City for it's simulcast facility ...... oh and how could I forget the MD spa, Timonium

highest odds horse 79-1, don't remember the name, Mary Wiley riding, at LRL in the slop..... Andy Beyer as a witness, thought I was nuts, though his buddy who I talked to in line saw my logic, kept us in beer the rest of the day in the Sports Palace (pretty sure he hammered the $300 exacta)

Largest payoff on a $2 bet $14,680 ...... 10 grand in cash after taxes, damn 28% ...... 5 of 6 in a mandatory payout, million $ pick 6, total wagered was $44, $4 ticket took that down, no one had six. (the race I missed was almost won by an 80-1 shot!!!!!! if only I could be that lucky <G>

and of course that would be my best day ....... if I hadn't oopsed at CD that breeders cup, that by far would have been better. I was on fire

Z~i~g~g~ý~

This message has been edited by BroadBrush on Dec 22, 2004 6:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dirbud)

Re: Resume

December 22 2004, 4:51 PM 

Been going to the track since around 1965 (taken to Aqueduct where I saw Kelso run). Been a regular since 1969. Roosevelt Raceway, Yonkers, the old Tropical Park in Miami, Belmont (every Belmont Stakes since 1988),Aqueduct, Saratoga (a regular at the Travers for many years in the mid 70's and 80's), Gulfstream (you can see it from my mom's condo terrace), Calder, Hialeah, Philadelphia. Never had the pleasure of visiting the California tracks although I've been to California a few times. Highest price horse was AP Andie (107.50). Don't remember the highest $2 ticket but my best days were Go For Gin's Derby (over $5000), Lemon Drop Kid's Belmont and Birdstone this year.
Steve L.

turffan
(Login turffan)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 5:14 PM 

TRACKS in chronological order: Green Mountain Park, Saratoga, Rockingham Park, SUffolk Downs, Delaware Park, Laurel and Keeneland. Harness tracks Green Mountain, Hinsdale, Batavia, Foxboro, Saratoga and numerous fairs in VT and NH

How could I forget? - Great Barrington, Bershire Downs, Northampton Fair, Figer Lakes

highest odds horse 105-1 on a forgotten name at Penn National 2 or 3 years ago. If you've played turf races there you'll know that's about the average payoff.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $4,800 this past July 3rd in a Pick 3 at Monmouth. I had a buck on it.

Selection I'm "proudest of" : Hitting 6 of 7 in the Breeders' Cup Pick 7 in 1995.

(Login doctordisaster)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 5:55 PM 

around 1964.As an eight year old,with my father and brother.
Saratoga,Belmont,Fair Grounds,Gulfstream,Rockingham,Meadowlands,Green Mountain,and Sportmans.
Doctor Disaster,breaks maiden MSW, Belmont 7th, July 24th 1993, 1&1/16 [T] :46.1 1:10.2 1:42.2 by 4&1/2 lengths 72.10/1 Win $146.20 Place $50.00 Show $15.00 (Yes I did)
Largest $2.00 ticket, Monarchos, Invisible Ink KD exacta $1,220.00

d;D

(Login Paseana)
Stewards

December 22 2004, 7:30 PM 

First time ever at any track was in 1979, I think. Got hooked in the Spring of 1980.

Haven't been to that many tracks, actually. Santa Anita, Hollywood, Del Mar, and Fairplex are obvious. I did visit the Northen Cal Fairs at Fresno, of all places, once......the day that Fusaichi Pegasus won the Jerome! The only tracks out of state that I've visited have been Belmont Park and, of course, Arlington, and I have visited Keeneland, but not when the horses were running there. Strangely enough, I have been to Epsom Downs, Goodwood, Chester, Newmarket, and York in England, but only saw live racing at Epsom and Goodwood (1983 English Derby and 1988 Sussex Stakes respectively).

Highest odds on $2 was 93-1 on you-know-who, but that was a future bet so I don't know if that counts. I think the biggest price I ever won on at the gate was Last Tycoon in the '86 BC Mile......he was 40ish to 1 as I recall.

My best day at the track over all is a toss-up between 2 Breeders Cup days.....2001 and 2003. 2001 for more tickets cashed, but probably 2003 yielded more money.

Guess that's it!

(Login wshoes)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 7:52 PM 

First Year :1971or2

First Ky Derby 1975 (28 total), one Preakness, one Santa Anita Derby, and 7 Breeder's Cups.

Tracks: Hazel Park, Detroit Race Course, Arlington, Churchill, Keeneland, Gulfstream, Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Canterbury, Thistledown, River Downs, Beulah, Turfway, Lone Star.

Highest odds horse: Alphabet Soup at ??? close to 50-1? I'm ashamed to say i was a little impared at the time.

Largest $2 ticket payoff: the 1992 Derby 3-7 Lil E Tee and Casual lies exacta- $842.

Best day: 1992 Derby Day + $1125.

(Login Forego)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 9:02 PM 

Year: 1971 Belmont

Tracks: Belmont, Aqueduct, Monmouth Park, Saratoga, Garden State Park, Atlantic City, Meadowlands, Delaware Park, Philadelphia Park, Laurel, Bowie, Pimlico, Penn National, Suffolk Downs, Finger Lakes, Woodbine, Hialeah, Gulfstream Park, Calder, Oaklawn, Santa Anita -- Harness -- Freehold, Meadowlands, Liberty Bell, Roosevelt, Yonkers.

A few tracks overseas, Epsom, Ascot and Newmarket.

Highest odds horse: can't remember exactly but have had three or four who returned in the low to mid $90s.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $3,900 trifecta

Best Day: I've had a few, one was in '78 or '79. Working 2nd shift at a printing plant I got a tip on a horse running at the Meadowlands. I mention to a few guys and the next thing I know it's spread through the plant and everybody wants to put some money down. End up betting $2K ($500 of my own) to win. The horse wins and pays $30 even. It was quite a party!

(Login gallantbob)
Stewards

December 23 2004, 12:39 AM 

The first track I went to was my beloved Atlantic City in 1974.

Since then, I've been to Garden State, Monmouth, Philadelphia and Delaware Parks, Saratoga, Aqueduct, Belmont, Pimlico, Laurel, Gulfstream, Fairgrounds, Keeneland, Hollywood Park, Delmar, Santa Anita, Agua Calinte, Santa Rosa, El Commendante, Brandywine, Liberty Bell and Freehold. (And one bullring in St. Thomas).

I'd like to get to Arlington, Hialeah and Kentucky Downs.

The highest odds I ever remember cashing a ticket on was the day before the '89 Breeders' Cup at Gulfstream and the winner of the last race that day went off at 107-1. I caught the exacta.

I think the largest ticket I ever cashed was a 6k plus pick four on Preakness day in 2002. Thank you, Sarava and Mr. O'Brien.

(Login KatmanAKs)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 6:46 AM 

Year: 1970 (I think) I was 6 or 7 when my grandmother first took me to Thistledown while we were visiting.

Tracks: Belmont, Meadowlands, Monmouth, Philadelphia (Keystone), Thistledown
Harness: Dover, Freehold, Garden State, Liberty Bell, Meadowlands, Monticello, Northfield, Pompano, Yonkers and of course a handful of dog tracks in Fla. and R.I.

Highest odds: Harness: 99-1, twice at the Meadowlands in the 80's. I can't remember the name of either horse. Only had a few dollars on each. Flats: 70-1, $50 on Sarava, on the day I had the pleasure of meeting Forego.

Largest payoff: $8,500 trifecta at the Meadowlands harness. I had it for a buck.

Best day: About $4,000, Hambletonian Day 2004. Throw in the Haskell (since one of my tickets extended into the next day) and it was a $6,000 weekend.

(Login gillenr)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 11:07 AM 

Yonkers - 1956 - $2 show on Meadow Mamie - ran out!
Tracks - the list of the ones I HAVE NOT been to is shorter:
KEE
OP
DMR
GG
All newer in last ten years.

Foreign tracks I've been to:
WO
Ascot
Longchamps
Both versions of El Commandante
Kingston, Jamaica

Longshot - $212 at trots - I always bet 99/1 on 1/2 mile tracks!

Best capping day - 2003 BC - the only winner I didn't make money on was Halfbridled.

(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

December 23 2004, 11:59 AM 

1966,dad got me a job walking hots at Narragansett Park for $1 per horse.Big money!Had the privilege of walking Dependability who earned over $150,000 in his career.Look him up at pedigree query,100+ starts.
Attended races at 'gansett,suffolk,rockingham,lincoln,aqueduct,belmont,saratoga,tampa bay,gulfstream,churchill,laurel,pimlico,delaware,woodbine,penn national,brockton,northhampton,great barrington,green mountain.
Biggest $2 payoffs were to Win Arcangues at $269,Double Pilsudski/Alphabet Soup at $485,Exacta Singletary/Antonius Pius at $1495 and Pick 3 of Domedriver/Orientate/Starine at $4651.
My favorite race was the 1985 BC Sprint,the winner came off a 4 month layoff and was dropping down in distance from a 10 furlong race in 1:58.40.
Hooper

(Login cockpit)

December 23 2004, 3:00 PM 

First visit: Monmouth 1974 with my father

Tracks visited: Only listing the flats - Monmouth, Meadowlands, rebuilt Garden State, Atlantic City, Belmont, Aqueduct, Saratoga, CD, Gulfstream, Calder, Hialiah, Delaware, and two tracks in Argentina, San Isidro and Palermo. Monmouth and San Isidro are my favorites. Saratoga would be number 1 but it is too crowded.

Highest Odds: Sarava in the Belmont.

Biggest price: I don't play many exotics, so my biggest hit was probably a $250 exacta that I get absolutely no credit for hitting. I took my father to Monmouth on a spur of the moment a couple of years back, with absolutely no idea who was running or what races were even on the card. As we walked in at some point in mid-card, the horses were loading in the gate. I walked up to the window and played my anniversary. Bingo.

(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 10:46 PM 

1971 Delaware Park

Delaware Park,Phila Park,Bowie,Laurel,Pimlico,Charlestown,Belmont,Aqueduct,Saratoga(overrated IMO)Garden State,Meadowlands,Monmouth,Atlantic City(one of my favorites)Gulfstream,Calder,and Hialeah(the best)

I've had a handful of 50-1's but nothing longer than that.

Biggest payoff on a 2.00 wager was the same PK4 that G-Bob hit on Preakness Day 2002 that paid 6153 and a pk 3 from 2002 at Gulfstream that paid 6665.

Best day was Preakness Day 2002 with the pk4 and multiple pk 3's.I won a little over 10k for the day.

Reviewer
(no login)

December 24 2004, 4:18 AM 

Started going to the track at Agua Caliente with my Grandfather at about age 10.
Tracks visited: Agua Caliente, all the Socal tracks plus Golden Gate, Bay Meadows, Turf Paradise, and Aquaduct. Out of the country (besides Mexico)- When in Paris I did go to track about 19 years ago but can't recall the name. I have also been to the races in Hong Kong.
Highest horses odds- 90-1 if I recall correctly.
Largest payoff- Belmont stakes trifecta when Sarava won($1 payoff 12.5k). Just to be clear, unlike some others here, I did not like Sarava. I just felt War Emblem could well be off the board at 1 1/2 miles since he was pulling Espinosa's arms off when the jockey would try and rate the horse. I did love 2 horses in that race. Medaglia D'Oro and Sunday Break. I wheeled the tri with those 2 in 1st and 2nd with all in 3rd, then 1st and 3rd with all in 2nd spot and finally all on top with those two 2nd and 3rd. I was shocked when a 70-1 horse won the race, but a happy man.

Reviewer

(no login)

December 25 2004, 10:58 PM 

I went to Hollywood Park with my best friend in 1970. I had a scrapbook that I kept with my daily selections since I was 9 or 10 and I thought I was the all time greatest handicapper. Anyway, first race I bet 2$ on Banker Agent with Rafael Meza aboard...he came in and paid $10.40. That $8.40 that I won has now cost me thousands...

I love the game so much...

I've had a few winning days...I love Santa Anita, of course, Hollywood Park and magnificent Del Mar. I went to Aqueduct one winner and froze my ass off but had a winning day...funny how that makes the cold so much bearable..

Saw Best Pal win the Big Cap and from my vantage point I saw the race beautifully. Just as the Big Guy made his move there was a flash of lightning a few miles off and right behind him...framed by the purple San Gabriels...it was magnificent.

Dell and I have made so many memories at the track...my love for the Shoe has never gone away....just like Dell's love for Laffitt.

I have a few longshots here and there...probably 35 or 40-1 was the best I did..(until this year! lol)

I had a day with Dell at Del Mar once when I told him I wanted to just make three hundre dollars...that was my goal. After the second race I had made my goal with 5$ bets...Dell, says, "Well, Mr. now that you've made your goal what are you going to do?" I told him I guess I had to pass (yeah, right)...ended up picking 6 winners and had a helluva payday...

I still love the smell of the racetrack...particularly after a light rain in the morning...it is such a great game, isn't it?

chazaward69
(Login chazaward69)
UpInClass Member

December 29 2004, 12:29 PM 

year on track--mid 80's not sure exactly

Tracks--lone star,trinity meadows,louisiana downs,sam houston, delta downs, evangeline downs, and oaklawn

Highest odds-- Sarava but only because I had two extra dollars left no handicapping involved--for handicapping War Emblem in derby 31-1 I believe

Largest 2 payoff--Trifecta in last years Malibu (keyed Southern Image on TOP of ALL on top of ALL --can't remember exact payoff but it was IRS ticket also War Emblem derby exacta was $1300

big daddy
(no login)

December 29 2004, 1:22 PM 

debut at track - 1982 finger lakes ractrack

tracks visited: ap, hawthorne, sportsman's, cd, detroit race course, ft erie, finger lakes, fair grounds, hialeah, cherry hill, turfway, thistledown, canterbury, prarie meadows, woodbine, retama park, thurles (ire)

biggest payout - approx $2600 - $2 tribox from santa anita - turf allowance race...all I can remember is that one of the horses was named nanosecond or something like that

largest odds - rockamundo in 93 arky derby at about 109-1 or so..had just $2 win on him on name only

b.d.

Unusual Pete
(no login)

December 29 2004, 8:11 PM 

Day I started: Jan. 1, 1999 at Golden Gate Fields. Wife dragged me out there. First bet was a winner on the nose of San Diego Pete. Hooked ever since.

Tracks visited: Golden Gate Fields, Bay Meadows, Santa Anita, Arlington, Churchill, Belmont, Hawthorne, Calder, and Philadelphia Park. Favorite...Santa Anita.

Longest price on a sizeable wager: Califo at GGF. $92.20.

Most notable stakes score: Charismatic in the '99 Derby.

Biggest $2 ticket: Can't remember the name. Some maiden trained by Thomas R. Bell who paid $220.

Larry LaTour
(Login Hezethebest)
Stewards

Resume

December 29 2004, 9:23 PM 

I became intrigued by the prospects of handicapping and playing the horses in the early 70's coincidental to my coming of age simultaneous to New York State welcoming OTB. Am proud of my "track" record of making it around the country somewhat and hitting many, many race tracks along the way.

Thoroughbred - 1) Aqueduct 2) Belmont 3) Saratoga 4) Finger Lakes 5) Meadowlands 6) Atlantic City 7) Penn National 8) Pimlico 9) Laurel 10) Churchill Downs 11) Calder 12) Gulfstream Park 13) Hialeah 14) Hollywood Park 15) Monmouth 16) Los Alamitos (quarters)

Harness - 1) Batavia 2) Meadowlands 3) Freehold 4) Roosevelt 5) Yonkers 6) Green Mt. Park 7) Saratoga 8) Vernon Downs 9) Monticello 10) Pocono Downs 11) Brandywine 12) Pompano Park

Greyhound Tracks - 1) Daytona Beach 2) Sanford 3) Melbourne 4) Hollywood 5) Green Mt. Park 6)***Palm Beach Kennel Club

***PBKC will be my 6th on January 4th, 2005 when I meet Robin there!

I've also enjoyed the fast action of Jai Alai in the only 4 states that have offered the action. Florida (Daytona Beach & Dania) Connecticut (Bridgeport, Milford & Hartford) Rhode Island (Newport Beach) Nevada (20 + years ago they had a fronton in the original MGM Grand in Las Vegas)

So much for my travels. Lest you think all I do is gamble, this past July we took a family vacation to Orlando and it marked my 15th visit to Disney World despite having never lived further south than Long Island!

LL

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

March 1 2005, 1:03 AM 

Started going to the race track at about age 5 or 6. Our family holiday tradition
was always going to Opening Day @ Santa Anita, the day after Christmas.
For me... it was this horse (and possibly this race) that hooked me into this great sport!

COUGAR II was my very first $10 WIN wager.
At that time, it was the largest single wager of my life.
Dad would give us kids ten bucks each to play throughout the day.
I would always play $2 to show until the money ran out or until I won...
but one glorious day, Big Jake handed me the ten... and I handed it back, saying:
"Bet it all to WIN on Cougar II!"
I don't remember what he paid... but I remember that he WON!!!

My HOME TRACK is Santa Anita.
Tracks Visited: Hollywood Park, Del Mar, Los Alamitos, Pomona, Bay Meadows, Arlington,
On the National Tour of the Broadway Musical, "The Mystery Of Edwin Drood",
I had a chance to visit Keeneland ~ back in the day w/no race caller, Canterbury Downs,
and the Phoenix Dog Track.

Acting Resume: http://imdb.com/name/nm0950306
Actor's Reel available @ http://www.youtube.com/DellYount

Looking forward to reading more forum members' resumes.

May your next wager be a winning one!
Badactor.

Tom Williams
(Login TenFurlongs)
Stewards

March 1 2005, 11:43 AM 

1st year at the races: 1983 @ Saratoga (still have the giveaway t-shirt.....doesn't seem to fit now.) Remember Java Gold in the sloppy Travers, standing at the rail in the pouring rain with losing tickets on Cryptoclearance soon to be tossed. Enjoyed the Fourstardave era there as well, but my all time favorite horse has to be the sprinter Quick Call, another "horse-for-the-course" who was the best at 7 furlongs I've ever seen (still holds stakes record for Forego Hcp. 1:21 flat, I believe.)

Unlike many of you, I've only been to Saratoga and Belmont, though I plan to see GP, Mth, and Dmr this year, and would love to get to CD and Kee eventually.

Highest odds horses: LDK, and Domedriver in the BC Mile. I rarely bet to win to make big money, usually just WP savers. Biggest $2 triple: $400 or so several times. Most satisfying scores: Domedriver (touted to everyone and received many liquid "kudos" that day), and this past year at Saratoga. Closing day, two races left, down big for the meet. $50 cold exacta punch in Saranac on turf and squirmed all the way to the wire as I just get up in time for the payday. Collect the cash, up a couple for the meet now, can't sit out the getaway race....it's on turf. Hit that triple big, and everybody in the group I'm with has at least the exacta, triple, late double, even Pick-4. Best ride home ever.

Love to play turf races, as that's where I make my money, but have done well on BC days and Derby as well.

TW

(Login elk-)
Stewards

March 1 2005, 12:33 PM 

Meant to do this when it was first posted and forgot...

First time to the races was Keeneland in October of 1998. I was in town with a friend whose sister played softball for UK. Tenski won the QEII Challenge Cup and I was hooked.

Tracks: Keeneland, Hoosier, Arlington, Turfway, Sportsman's Park, Gulfstream, Del-Mar, Santa Anita (not during live racing) and Churchill. Been to four Breeders Cups and the derby five times to date.

Highest odds horse: Valponi in the Classic at AP. 40-1 I think.

Highest $2 payout: Monarchos, Inky, Congaree Tri $12K (had a $20 exacta for another 12K)

Best day: Derby 127 by a pole

(Login Rap1)
UpInClass Member

March 1 2005, 9:57 PM 

First track visit was in 1972 or 1973 at Narragansett Park. Walked in with Hooper who told me to bet $2 to win on Yorkshire Red. Paid $6.00. Next race Hooper told me who to bet, but decided I knew the game and made my own selection. He cashed, I didn't.

Been to Gansett, Lincoln Downs, Suffolk, Rockingham, Saratoga, Belmont, Charles Town, Delaware, Gulfstream, Churchill, Pimlico, and a one-room old style OTB in Dayville, Connecticut.

Biggest win price was 30-1 at Gansett on a horse given out by racing secretary.

Had a $250 DD at Saratoga in an infamous race where winner was unjustly taken down (Allemeuse?). I believe a few stewards lost their posts in the ensuing scandal.

Best Days: Safely Kept and Unbridled in Breeders Cup; back in the 1970s Gansett had a 24-race Saturday/Monday holiday. Jockey Claudio Hubberman got hot and I had 11 winners in 24 races for a profit of $80. Those were the $2 days when we hoped to get $2.80 to show for beer money, so I guess $80 was ok.

Rap

(Login Paseana)
Stewards

March 2 2005, 12:47 AM 

Elk, you take me back to the most heartbreaking loss, parimutuelly, that I've ever suffered! As the saying goes, if it couldn't be mine, I'm glad it was yours, and I would never presume to take that marvelous score away from you. But........

I played a superfecta in that Derby......I've played about 5 supers in my whole life in this game, and that was one of them. I had Monarchos and Point Given on top, added Congaree to those two in the second slot, and then took those three and added Dollar Bill, Startac, Invisible Ink, and Thunder Blitz in the third and fourth holes.

Inky caught Congy for second I guess.....I have yet to see a photo that proves it (LOL). I have no recollection of how much that ticket cost me, and who knows what kind of money I came within the barest of noses of winning.......

That's just the way it goes.......

(Login elk-)
Stewards

March 2 2005, 7:51 AM 

Ouch Pas, sorry to bring back that memory.  I've looked for that photo all over the web, to no avail.  If the photo was the other way, I would have cashed the same tickets, but I'm sure the payout would have been much less.  I'm sure we all have some bad beat stories, but that is a terible one, especially since the photo has never come out.

Jay C
(Login nola22)
UpInClass Member

resume

March 2 2005, 12:36 PM 

Started going to the track in 1975, playing Santa Anita, Hollypark and Delmar. Used to run bets to the track for my high school basketball coach, who always gave me a few buck for my own wagers. Greatly enjoyed playing Belmont and Aqueduct when I lived in Conn briefly in the late 80s. My home track is FairGrounds, which is almost literally in my backyard. I've been playing FG since 79, and saw it burn to the ground minutes after I left the track one December day. Thank god they rebuilt it.

Don't remember my first win ticket, but I remember my first exacta: Habitony and Smasher at Hollypark--returned about 150 and I was thrilled. My biggest win ticket was on a cheap claimer named Red Hot Missy. The horse was given to me at a mortgage office as we signed papers to buy our house--one of the sellers was a small time trainer, and told me I might want to make a wager. My wife was none too happy that I was talking horses at the closing, but her tune changed two days later when the filly paid nearly 200$ to win!

Best day was Christmas eve a few years ago, when I hit a tri at FG that paid $6,200 for my $1 bet. Talk about Santa coming early.

GAM
(Login GAM-II)
UpInClass Member

Hi Rap!!!

March 2 2005, 4:40 PM 

Hi Rap, have we finally coaxed you out from the shadows where you've been "lurking" for so long? Good to see you post. Hope there will be more.

"Resume" later, when I get a chance to type it up.

Ziggy
(Login BroadBrush)
Stewards

Glad to see

March 2 2005, 7:18 PM 

so many responses ..... just a sense of who "we" are, and how much we love the sport.

I used to hit Pimlico till the fifth, EVERY day .... unless it looked totally worthless and just needed to catch up on the ZZZZZZZZZ's, worked 4 to 12, then midnight till 8 (kind of so I could go to the track <G>). Even if I didn't see anything worth playing, I'd go to watch .... possibly catch Phil there with one of his hot horses, which was always worth going for (still pissed I didn't play his Le Glorieux in front of Great Communicator). For a while there I was running a few "booked" bets down too, the bookie covering a large wager with an actual bet, parimutual wagering and all. Didn't do that too often .... did like the tips though. The next job, worked days, but lots of hours when needed, so could cut out on occasion at noon (had to for Red Ice, freakishly fast early on the T ..... going long, like to the tune of 1:07 1/5)

The visit to Thistledown ....... Lost Code was going in the Ohio Derby. He'd run in MD a few times, the local cable channel, Home Team Sports having a racing show, I had tapes <G>, even a few workouts on film. My race track cohort, or fellow degenerant who I helped jump in with both feet, lived in Pittsburg at the time. Told him, I was coming and we're going to Cleveland, I'd let him know if Mike (his college roommate) was coming along. I never called back since Mike woosed out .... and he therefore thought the weekend was off. I arrive somewhere near the burb he lived in Friday, called to get the final directions ..... "Uh got tickets to the Pirates game, gave them all away. Well we'll work something out" (manager of a cable company). So we get to the stadium, has me buy a general admission ticket (quarter night!!!!). Start walking in, this fellow asks if he has the key. I'm thinking, ok what kind of box seats take a key ..... nice skybox it was, for 25 cents <G>, free beer, food, other assorted drinks.

Off to Thisledown the next morn .... hung over off free beer, assorted drinks, and of course back then got a lil buzzed before we go in <G>. Bet the double, hit the first leg, $245 payoff 2 1/2 times possible, second pick head bobbing to the wire. I'm sitting there thinking, parlay day if this hits, all on Code...... of course, beat by the width of my program <G>. A friend came along from Pitt, doing snuff ..... Snuff's Enough running and he's going to bet, 70-1. The two experts are like, don't waste your money, no chance .... winner, Snuff's Enough of course (same guy sits there at CT once, pounding his fist, we're both like ok, who's he got ..... I look at the top 4 and say, got to be High Falutin Ways 50-1 ..... wins, and he NEVER tells us who he bets anymore <G>). Well I notice speeds holding or at least you need to be forardly placed, inside's golden. Have a stalker that can stay close, one hole, 37-1, too much speed for a wire job, $20 W. Whips around the turn flying past the fading speed, know he's going to win and at about that moment, veers out, bumps a horse. I started heading to the bar. Two friends catch up to me, thinking I'm going to celebrate, we all played him ..... "no, about now, I need a shot, not a beer" is all I said. Only thing that saved the day was 50 win @ 9-2 on lost code ..... though placing a $1,300 to win bet would have both rattled my nerves, and made for a day to remember for BETTER reasons.

Z~i~g~g~ý~

Reggie
(Login boldbidder)
UpInClass Member

March 2 2005, 9:48 PM 

Sorry I missed this one first time around......

I'm not sure when my first trip the track was probably wasn't a year old, I'd have to ask BB Sr.

My first racing memory that stuck was the 1985 derby, I can recall with the utmost clarity BB Sr. shouting out as Spend A Buck clipped off quick fractions and kept on going.

Tracks visited Arlington Internantional Racecourse (an ode to the old name), Hawthorne, Sportsman, Gulfstream, Aqueduct and Belmont.

Only major event I've made it to was when the BC came to my back yard in '02 (Arlington Park), great great day. Between Duds handing out Starine and BB Sr. handing out Domedriver there were nice pic 3's abound.

I was officially hooked during the spring of 1989. To this day Preakness '89 remains my favorite race of all time. I watch the replay once every other month or so after painstakingly transferring BB Sr's old race collection from VHS to DVD. I tell you I get chills just thinking about SS and EG going at it down the stretch.

Anyways.....on to the wagering resume.

Best day was Alabama 2002. Toga came up sloppy and I canned most of my wagers, but on a whim I decided to put together a litte pic 4 ticket. I constructed a 3 X 2 X 2 X 2 ticket that I played for $2 ($48) total. I used Bella Bellucci and reluctantly Farda Amiga in the 'Bama. When I placed the wager I figured Bella would be extra tough but I couldn't bring myself to exclude the Oaks winner....good thing I didn't because at post time BB was scratched and FA splashed home the victor. Cleared a hair less than 9k all total on the day.

Best single moment of handicapping would have to be Honor In War in the Wood Reserve on the derby undercard '03. Honor In War along with Statement ran an alw race at GP earlier that spring that really boggled my mind. The Bris fig was pretty stout (if memory serves 105 or 106), but I had been keeping charts diligently that meet and it was far and away the fastest race for the entire meet. He went off at 25-1, but on paper probably should've been a little longer.

Ironically toughest beat occurred in the next race. I've told Duds this story before, but to make a long story short I punted FC from my pic 4 tickets the night before I made my wagers in favor of TMW (ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH). I was staring down the barrel of a $5 pic 4 and a $20 double, with the lowest will pay to the 2-4 finishers for the pic 4 of $3200 for a $2......gotta luv this game.....lol

-BB

(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

March 3 2005, 6:41 PM 

I'm a geezer. As a little kid growing up in LA in the 50's, there was not a lot of big time sports entertainment around. The NFL was small potatoes then, and the Dodgers, Giants, Lakers, et al had not yet moved west. So, when a Cal bred with cowboy connections named Swaps beat the mighty Nashua in the Ky Derby, it was front page news, and Swaps (with The Shoe) was the hero that got me interested in horse racing (fwiw, I think Swaps is the most underrated horse of all time--check the records he set and the weights he carried). When I was about 16, my mom took me to Santa Anita. We hit a chalk daily double (Beatnik/Phoenician II) and I was hooked.

Best Bets: A $2200 tri on SA Derby day last year--a turf race where I can't remember the name of a single horse. I had a $10 saver bet on Castledale later in the day at 30/1, so that day was right up there.

Favorite Horses: Swaps, Native Diver,Gun Bow, Big Red, Ferdinand, Alysheba, Silver Charm, John Henry, Kona Gold, Brown Bess

Tracks: Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Del Mar, Agua Caliente (!), Bay Meadows, Goldend Gate, Santa Rosa, Vallejo, Saratoga, Aqueduct,Churchill Downs, Suffolk Downs

(Login Antifreezette)
Stewards

March 17 2005, 3:35 PM 

Let me start this out with the fact that I am VERY new to this sport, but from the first moment, I became hooked.

2005 was the first year I went to the track... actually it was only a couple of weeks ago. It was Santa Anita and absolutely magnificent.

My second bet, $2 across on Antifreezette, was the first I had won (and consequently, her first start). I made $16 on this race, and I was giddy for the rest of the day.

My largest payoff, so far in my career has been $32, which I promptly dropped on the next three races, moving up and betting $10 to win on a horse who didn't agree with me.

The highest odds I have bet was 11-1 in my first bet, again, this horse had other plans.

That day at the track was amazing and I can't wait to go back. I had so much fun... jeeze, I just got here and I am already rambling. sorry.

Seriously, this sport has just recieved a new, avid fan and I am glad you all are letting me share my new found excitement with you.

~Freeze

(Login horseman101)
UpInClass Member

resume

March 17 2005, 6:44 PM 

welcome freeze as you know this already this is the most exciting fix on the planet...as for me i started my racing adventures in my early teens in the early 90's at thistledown[im 27 now]my dad would take me with him and give me a few bucks to get me out of his hair lol...my 1st hit was a 2$ ex tim n tim/howie j paid $241.00 as you can imagine how excited i was at the age of 13 to have that kind of$$$$$$ and that hooked me...my love of horse racing has never waivered from that time and its not just the money i truely love it...my most memoryable hit had to be crismatic i had 30 to win and half the tri.about $3900.00 i believe...just my little story

Heather
(Login Antifreezette)
Stewards

March 18 2005, 9:31 AM 

Thank you very much, horseman. And I agree with you about 'the most exciting fix on the planet' . It's amazing.

~Freeze

(Login Unusual_Pete)
UpInClass Member

March 18 2005, 10:09 AM 

Welcome to the forum Antifreezette! Wow, you are indeed new to this game. Read this forum. Ask questions. We'll help you along...That is until you outshine us & we're the ones asking you who's gonna win the next race.

(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

April 28 2005, 9:54 PM 

Welcome New Members!
...a word or two about YOU is always appreciated.

(Login MorganEdge)
UpInClass Member

July 13 2005, 5:30 PM 

Real Late to this party

First time to the track must have been the Derby in 1983.

Tracks visited: Churchill, Keeneland, Turfway Park, the late great Birmingham Turf Club, Kentucky Downs, Fairmont Park (East St. Louis), Arlington, Saratoga, Santa Anita

Biggest Day at the Track: I had a huge day Million Day when it rained all day and Startac won the Secretariat.

Next biggest day (at the time) I bet my last $4 on a race and hit the win and the exacta paying something like $20 on the win and $78 on the exacta at a time when $98 to me was a ton of cash. My first win big-buy a big steak dinner experience.

D-Mac
(Login DMacean)

Kentucky Derby

July 18 2005, 9:04 AM 

I have been to Santa Anita/Hollywood/Del Mar/Belmont/Aqu/CD/Keen/Turfway/Gulfstream/Penn National

Winning Colors derby win. I waited all day long with $800 in my pocket. I put $300 on her to W&P and connected with a $25 exacta to Forty Niner that I believe paid $63.

Most I ever put on a nose to this day!

Wishbone
(Login Wishbone05)
UpInClass Member

July 18 2005, 10:44 AM 

My resume is about a quarter of all of yours:
First time: Meadowlands 1983
Biggest hit: About $200 on Thunder Gulch who was 24-1 in 1995 Derby
Tracks: Meadowlands, Belmont, Aquaduct, Monmouth, Saratoga
I grew up riding all sorts of horses, and one of my most vivid memories is being 16 and riding a nutsy ex-racehorse who'd nearly tear my arms out. For anyone who thinks it's easy being a jock ... it isn't.

(Login JMAN667)
UpInClass Member

July 18 2005, 12:05 PM 

My resume...

1st time at the track: Probably when I was an infant at Turf Paradise when we lived in Arizona. The first time I actually remember being at the track was for the 1991 Pacific Classic when Best Pal won. I had a $2 show bet on him, WHOOO!

Tracks Visited: Del Mar, Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Turf Paradise, Belmont Park, Multnomah Greyhounds (in Portland, OR), Meadowlands.

Biggest Hit: That comes this year at Hollywood Park. I caught a Pick 4 with a 7-2, 25-1, 9-2, and 9-5 shot which paid an astounding $5,400. I also caught the Pick 3 w/ the first 3 legs paying over $900.

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

July 18 2005, 3:16 PM 

No clue why I never posted this months ago. Here's my resume:

First time at the track: At the Meadowlands 8 years ago when I turned 18 and my buddy Dave and I were looking for something fun to do since our fake id's were incredibly bad.

First horse racing memory: I was 10 years old reading in the paper a couple of days before the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer Belmont how Sunday Silence was going for the triple crown. Read in the paper on the Sunday after how Sunday Silence lost and I remember feeling bad for him lol.

Best horse racing memory: Hands down this year's Preakness. Being on my living room floor on my hands and knees(no comments here fellas) slapping the floor yelling for Alex to dig back in. Biggest rush I've ever felt during a race.

Tracks visited: Meadowlands, Belmont, Freehold, Delaware, Monmouth's parking lot(long story lol)

Biggest hit: My first pick 4 I ever hit which was $1109.10 on July 2nd, 2002. I can remember that, yet couldn't remember the slightest thing in school.

Biggest win price: Mr. Pleasantfar a few years back at Gulfstream paying $59.80. Guidry swept the field from the back of the pack in the stretch and I pumped my fist so hard without realizing there was someone rather close to me. Longshot winners have a way of overcoming you. Luckily I missed him lol.

Worst thing that happened to me at the track: Hands downs opening day Saratoga 2002. Did nothing with the early races. I wanted to play the pick 4 but only had $16 left. Had Puzzlement singled in the 1st leg, used 2 horses in the 3rd leg and 4 horses in the last leg. I have enough money to use 2 horses in the 2nd leg but was having a hard time narrowing it down. Got in down to 3 horses but I could only use 2 of them. Of course the other three legs came in and the horse I tossed Jose Santos brought in at 10-1. Pick 4 paid $6500 for a buck. I still think about that to this day lol.

Funniest thing ever at the track: It's a dead heat between watching the Jman run down the rail as Funny Cide fought back in the Jockey Club Gold Cup on My father's, myself, and Jason's trip to Belmont last year and My buddy Richie and I knocking over our beers as we're jumping and yelling to get an 18-1 shot home. It was one of those you had to be there sights to see.

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

July 18 2005, 3:25 PM 

I need to start proofreading my posts much more thoroughly I think.

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

July 23 2005, 3:55 PM 

Hello New Members... Are You There?

JJ Newton
(Login Xcellent)
UpInClass Member

July 26 2005, 6:19 AM 

Hi Dell,

Yep, we are here.

Clint had a bad wipe out surfing ending with a sore neck and a badley bruised thoat ( slang for testicle ). His La—p-p-ing up all the attention.

I will write this up for you Dell with Clint's verbal assistance .

We were taken to the races as far back as i can remember by our family. We have been lucky to attend The Melbourne Cup at Royal Flemington. The Caulfield Cup at the Heath. The famous Cox Plate at Moonee Valley Racecourse. Met some real rad people from the racing industry. I even met an “ Emu “ once at Flemington and watched him collect tickets in a big bag at one Melbourne Cup Day.

My Fav meeting is the VRC DERBY meeting each year and it is a race i would like to win one day when i'm old enough to have a horse.

The Adelaide Cup meeting at Morphettville in South Australian. The AJC DERBY meeting at Royal Randwick are others we have attended.

The Hobart Cup at Royal Elwick in Hobart and The Launceston Cup at Mowbray. Both these meetings are in Tasmania and held around February of each year.

We lobbed up to a Race meeting at Eagle Farm , Queensland. We have been to many country track meetings for picnic meetings.

We went to the Kangaroo Island Cup meeting a couple of years back. The oldies like the Crayfish and the wine at this annual meeting. You catch the ferry over from mainland south australia to Kangaroo Island.

Lucky enough to attend two racedays in New Zealand at Whangarei and a picnic meeting down the south Island. New Zealand Racing appears to be a lot like Tasmanian Racing.

In the States, we have been to Del Mar during a race meeting and a non race day. Granma took us one day straight from Kennedy Airport to Belmont Park for a meeting . She took us for a long drive up to Saratoga for a rad look around the course ( no race meeting on ).

We went to a meeting at Portland Meadows one November. My sisters have been to a few racetracks such as Evanston,Emerald Downs and Thistledown during their holiday travels.

I would like to go to the old racecourse site that Phar lap won at down in New Mexico. He was a Champion Racehorse.

Whatever racetrack or race meeting that we have attended it is the love of the Racehorse for me. To see a Racehorse you like in it's raceday stall, being walked before it races by it's strapper, watching the trainer saddle the horse, watch it in the parade ring, the jockey mounting, watch it race and return to scale, then it is swabbed, taken to the wash down area, hosed and wiped down and returned to it's stall, then loaded into a float and taken back to the trainers barn.

The owners talk to the trainer and jockey and if they are lucky they all have big smiles after a win. If they don't win the sad look and feeling of losing, is generally removed by the positive report from the trainer .

I am not old enough to bet and like to follow how the old man is is going .

That's it in a nutshell from the Newtons on how we became involved in Horse Racing and where we have been to a race meeting.

JJ .

(Login parisbob)
UpInClass Member

Resume?

January 10 2006, 7:31 PM 

I'm a handicapping nut, with particular affection for the Triple Crown Trail...I've come close to hitting two Derby Futures at triple-digit odds--Captain Bodgit in '97 and Peace Rules in '03. Cut my teeth in the SF area at Bay Meadows and Golden Gate, where I lived for almost 20 years before moving to Paris, KY in 1999. I currently reside one mile from where the great Secretariat and Mr. Prospector are laid to rest. I've had fun reading here for the past couple days and look forward to meetin' all y'all along the trail!!! I also love the Stones, but that's another story!

Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

January 11 2006, 2:21 PM 

Welcome Paris Bob. You'll definitely enjoy being a part of this forum, as we're a nice bunch of guys as well as being sharp handicappers.
Steve (dirbud)

Danever
(Login Danever)
UpInClass Member

January 17 2006, 1:12 AM 

I am a Legal Secretary / Law Student and work for a lovely group of people .

My interests are Horse Racing , Eventing , Part time model , Surfing , Spending quality time with my partner and of course Shopping.

Look forward to meeting up with some of you in the future.

Shann.

Chris
(Login PA_Punter)
UpInClass Member

My Resume

January 17 2006, 6:15 AM 

Can't remember exact date I was first at a track, believe it was around 1974 or so. I was around 10 yrs. old. My dad took me to Penn National and a few times to Pocono Downs. A few years later he was a 50% owner (for a short period of time) of a horse that ran in the harness circuit in this area. After a few lack luster races the horse finally won then promptly after that broke it's leg.

Early in life it was just Penn, Philly and Pocono. Just got sucked in for good to this sport about 5 or so years ago and since then I've been to Aquaduct, Belmont, Saratoga, Santa Anita and Arlington. Love Saratoga, every year for the past 5 years.

Highest odds? Volponi in the 2002 BC at Arlington. I was getting skunked the entire day, down to my last $40. A friend in our group kept talking up this horse the night before, so I put $10 on the nose (needed money to eat if he lost). Made $400 back, my buddy had $100 on him and connected the exacta. He paid for the trip.

Largest payoff. I finally made it to the IRS window in this past BC. Had the $1 tri and exacta in the BC Turf (Shirroco), paid close to $900.

Whether I win or lose, my best day is Breeder's Cup day. Always had a great time. Besides the two above, 2003 at Santa Anita, didn't win but had a blast on the west coast (eerie to see the mountains burning though). Did not make it to Lone Star, but I did connect on Singletary in simulcast at Penn Nat.

Now I'm on my way to sign up for your UpInClass Open.

(Login AndreBreton)
UpInClass Member

The Un-Resume : My Epiphany

January 17 2006, 11:57 AM 

Horseracing was more or less illegal in Texas for many decades. I never gave Horseracing a thought, just a background for certain movie scenes I liked. Then, Lonestarpark opened in Grand Prairie, and I still paid little attention, just noted it casually. At the start of the third meet, my wife and I decided it would make a nice date, what with parachuting dogs and all the attendant fanfare. Standing on the second floor, staring out at the slanting sunset illuminating the great brown and green oval, as the horses warmed up in the post parade, I was struck, like Saul on the road to Damascus, and I knew that my life would thenceforth be divided into before the revelation of horseracing and after, a new man devoted to the mysteries of the oval track, the diminutive heroes, and the wondrous animal athletes, gifts of Poseidon. It was a beatific vision and it was real and I could feel it. Since that evening, hardly a day has gone by in which I have not read something on the subject or participated in the greatest game ever devised by man. I see the movies, I read the novels, I study the handicapping books, I visit websites, I attend the DRF convention in Vegas, I keep up with my circuit (Tx, La, Ok, Ark), I pick my races, I hunt the elusive jackpot exotics, and, whenever we travel, my wife and I visit the tracks in any clime wherein we find ourselves. So, though late in life comparatively, I have attempted to prepare myself for the splendours and miseries of the great challenge of attempting to predict the future on a daily basis that is handicapping and wagering on dream animals who run on the crest of the wind as men and women with pens and papers try to divine the secrets of this sporting life. I salute you, one and all. Cheers.

tims70ar
(Login tims70ar)
UpInClass Member

Resume

March 18 2006, 9:38 PM 

It's great to be here. I began following the horses at Oaklawn Park at age 19 I think. That was in 1982. Oaklawn owner Charles Cella didn't believe in exotics so "straight, place, and show" was how I learned. Usually WP only.

Made the Arkansas Derby in 1982. No seat to be found. Looked forward to betting El Baba. That horse seemed so much bigger than the rest. The friend I was with bet a horse shipped in from Santa Anita named "Hostage". I thought he was nuts. Hostage won and paid big. I knew then that this was a tough sport to figure out.

My best day was in January 1983 at Fairgrounds. Some of us went down for a few days of racing before Oaklawn started up. The first day was a bust. Hit a few the next day. Got down to the last race, and I bet an 8-9-10 exacta box in a starter allowance race. The 8 (a horse named 'Straight Stitch') was 8-1, had been claimed in 3 out of it's last 4 races. I said some people really like this horse.

He won, the 9 came second, I collected over a thousand dollars, and I was hooked for life.

Just last month I hit a $2400 trifecta on a $1 box. That was sweet.

I've been to Oaklawn, Fairgrounds, and Louisiana Downs. Would like to go to more especially Saratoga.

Tim S.

Anonymous
(Login phillybilly)
UpInClass Member

March 18 2006, 11:46 PM 

first time playin was back in 1981,phila park mostly ,been to 4 breeders cups,not much more to say

(Login lmiller22)
UpInClass Member

Resume

April 29 2006, 1:51 PM 

I've been a closet participant on UIC for a while, just haven't had enough confidence in my handicapping to speak up. I have been a racing fan for over 40 years and have attended racing at most of the Texas/Louisiana/New Mexico and Oklahoma tracks. I live in Central Texas.

The highest odds horse I ever picked was 30-1. My best day at the track was hitting a Pick 6 at Churchill Downs for $2,800. I particularly love betting the live races at the smaller tracks around Texas at the county fairs, etc., but I also love the Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup races.

(Login jhauck21)
UpInClass Member

May 3 2006, 8:13 PM 

I'm an actor, living in L.A.

I've been in over 150 TV shows, films, and commercials (all speaking roles, mind you). You can look me up on the IMDB (if you have absolutely nothing else to do lol). There are a few of the things I've been on at that site.

Like horse racing, it's a rough biz, but unpredictable and fun.

I've been a huge racing fan since late 1978 and still love it.

The horses still keep me awake at night, which is OK with me.

Great to be here.

(Login AgTrotter)
UpInClass Member

May 11 2006, 2:23 PM 

First Track: Although I had been a huge horse racing fan since I was a kid, I didn't actually go to a track until the year Sam Houston opened ('95 or '96).

Tracks: Sam Houston, Hollywood, Santa Anita, Meadowlands (mostly an OTB guy)

Odds: Hit a sweet 47-1 shot at Sam Houston on a $20 WP ticket and a $10 Ex Wheel. Of course, my Thunder Gulch Derby win on a $50 WP ticket still ranks as my most cherished win.

Payout: I can't honestly remember the final payout, but I hit 5 of 6 in a BC Pick 6 in the late '90s. I think the payout was only about $3k, but I only spent $24 on the ticket.

Special Moment: Being asked to be a Guest Editor on Publichandicapper.com. Although, that turned out to be bittersweet as I suddenly couldn't pick Seattle Slew in a field of petting farm nags.

Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

May 11 2006, 3:05 PM 

Hey AgTrotter. I see that Meadowlands and OTB on your resume. Are you a Joisey guy? If so, maybe we can hook up.
Steve

(Login KatmanAKs)
UpInClass Member

May 11 2006, 3:38 PM 

Anybody with 'Trotter' in their handle, can't be a bad addition to this forum. Welcome AG.

spiderjohn
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

May 11 2006, 5:25 PM 

Just curious as to who "we" are. Kind of an honor system deal, no exagerations if you please but, first year you set foot in a track, tracks visited, highest odds horse ever picked, largest payoff on a $2 ticket (no matter how much wagered), best day

Year --early 60's at River Downs

TRACKS River Downs,Beulah Park,Keeneland,Churchill,
Turfway/Latonia,Gulfstream,Arlington Park(old and new),
Belmont,Saratoga,Sam Houston,Del Mar,Hollywood,Santa Anita,Lebanon Raceway,Meadowlands, Ascot,Longchamp

highest odds horse 79-1, $77 to win--$101 in a tri--$140 in a pik 3

Largest payoff on a $2 bet-- the Monarchos Derby tri
numerous pik 6s. I have hit 6 of them--two solo

best day--8 for 9 in the old days at Keeneland(before the gimmick explosion), losing the feature by a nose.
All win bets--no dutching

home track--has varied over the years. Now I am global and my home base would be in my office through BrisBet and Pinnacle.

spiderjohn
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

May 12 2006, 1:20 PM 

Actually I did leave out something under the largest scores topic.

I was strong on BIRSDTONE the day of his 40-1 upset of SMARTY JONES.
I had a $1 pik 3, a $1 pik 4 and a $20 exacta box of the two.
Being live in both the pik 3 and pik 4, I had no need to play BIRDSTONE to win.

Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

May 12 2006, 1:40 PM 

Hey spiderjohn,
At least we agreed on that. I too made a nice score on Birdstone. Barbaro now joins my Triple Crown Hall of Fame with all the triple crown horses I made a good score on;
Ferdinand, Go for Gin, Lemon Drop Kid and Birdstone.
Steve

(Login dirbud)

May 12 2006, 1:46 PM 

Forgot to include Louis Quartorze in the Preakness.
Steve

(Login bpiets)
UpInClass Member

'Pro-File' of a 'horse-bettor'...with a full knowledge on all the Ways to LOSE....

May 16 2006, 11:11 AM 

....To start with 'i' began being a race fan round about the early 70's and there after spent the next few years ,literally' at the following tracks ( day & night ) GreenWood,Woo-dBine,Mohawk,Flam-Boro,OrangeVille
RaceTracks.I stopped for a few years in the 90's and have just these past two years gotten to know the two and three yr. olds. again as well as the 'older' horses and what 'they' are able to do.Just last month 'i' opened an account at WoodBine and starting on June 1 st. will again ''try'' and earn a living at same so 'i' will be going to WoodBine quite a bit just to watch 'how' those 'i' am 'following' are actually performing .'I' did promote Barbaro and made a few $$$ on same but 'soured' on BlueGrass Cat after 'his' last three races....shame on 'me'....I am a member at 'TrackChampions',FinalTurn,E-ponies,ItsPostTime,PaceAdvantage,DRF,etc....using the 'handle' of bpiets or peaches.Just recently 'i' introduced a few friends to some of these and will bring some of 'them' here also.I'm in 'my' mid 50's,employed in a great variety of different types of skilled and administrative work...and at times 'not' so skilled such as betting the horses in the first year of 'my' soray into same....live and learn....but had a nack when 'i' was in 'my' early teens picking more horses in the money than did Trackman,penstick,clocker,con-censes,handicap, and others in the newspapers.'I' did spend an entire year and a half studing the race forms before ever entering a racetrack...the cost of the harness wass .35 and drf .50 'i' think...And 'i' entered the track when the DRF had increased to $1.25 or just above same...and had various 'methods' that ''worked' very well....And surprising some still work very well to-day inspite of all the changes in 'conditions' of the races ....'I' enjoy all sports and am an out-doors/gardening/etc. fan...'I' do enjoy the contests as 'honing' these past 2 years as this is the first time 'i' used the internet and that for entering the various contests.This Year 'i' will be entering the big contest at WOODBINE to see if 'i' might win a spot to compete with/AGAINST the best in North America...( or just the LUCKY-IST )...'MY' e-mail address is bpiets@yahoo.ca should anyone wish to become 'pen-pals' but please have a 'Message Title' re-fering to this 'Fine For-ummmmmm??? 'thanks...bpiets/peaches....'I' was thinking of peaches or eating 'one' when 'i' registered in a forum or two.....Oh...yes...in 'my' first year in the PublicHandicappers contest 'i' made 'it' to 13 th and after that due to to many of 'my' picks ending up second at long odds went back up to over 1.700 but managed to end up in the 300 and under range in the final month...'i' hope to do better in the June /JUly contest with a bit of practice till then....'I' will be happy to enter the www's of up-coming contests such as the WORLD SOCCER CONTESTS that a few Sponcers ARE OFFERING SHORTLY..'I' have improved greatly these past few months in 'my' overall contests and will shortl 'put-'it'-all-'to-Gather'....Good luck to all ...untill 'we' 'meet' again....go with GOD and 'HIS' SON JESUS CRIST and Live by The HOLY SPIRIT and 'you' will surly have the success 'you' and 'such-like' that 'you' want....'I' am a very LAID-BACK /EASY-GOING BELIEVER.....

(Login wbtbhs)
UpInClass Member

Resume

August 26 2006, 2:54 AM 

Year 1966 Golden Gate Fields...My Mom told my dad to take me to the races, I was 6 years old then. My dad started off by giving me his change when he won, then I would go off with the other kids to run races against each other and use the sporting green as a whip. I started handicapping at age 11 and I'm still going strong.

TRACKS: I've been to all of the California tracks except for, Fairplex, Los Al and Ferndale.

Highest odds horse: I just recently had $10 WPS on Potential at Hollywood Park. He paid $131.00. Laura Wholers ( I think that's her name) at the time was a perfect 2 for 2 with horses in their 2nd start and this was her 3rd horse attemping to make it 3 for 3 for 2nd starts and he won. All three had M. Ruis up. After that her horses started getting hammered at the window. That was the good news, the bad news was, Margarita Flores lost the feature by neck and cost me at least 70k in the pick 4.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $27,205...I hit the pick 6 at Saratoga last year on
August 24th, then the very next day I hit a $1 pick 4 for 26k at Bay Meadows (I had the only winning ticket in the country)

Jack

(Login otis0930)
UpInClass Member

resume

January 21 2007, 11:06 AM 

Although I'm not brand new here I haven't posted my reume yet so here goes.

First track visited: Freehold Raceway somewhere aroung 1967 when I was 16 years old. My uncle gave me $20 bucks to bet $2 a race (he placed them for me). I walked away with $32 and thought this was the easiest game in the world

Tracks visited: Aqueduct, Belmont, Saratoga, Finger Lakes, Meadowlands, Garden State, Atlantic city, Monmouth Park, Laurel, Pimlico, Liberty Bell, Colonial Downs, Calder, Churchill Downs, Woodbine, Keystone Park (now Philly), Penn National, Delaware Park

Biggest Score for a $2 bet: $1300 trifecta

Biggest score overall: Finished 4th in the 2004 Gold Coast Summer Classic good for $12 grand. This is also where I met Dell (Bad Actor) for the first time and was introduced to a new website called UP IN CLASS

Biggest thrill: Standing at the finish line for the 1973 Belmont Stakes and watching Secretariat cross the line. It made me a lifelong horse racing fan and still gives me goose bumps when I watch the replaynd hear the call. If you see me at a tournament in Vegas I'm the guy always wearing the Secretariat t-shirt.

Misc: In the late 90's started a web page called the Secretariat Trivia Page (still available for viewing). As a result I was able to interview Ron Turcotte, Penny Chenery and Jim Gaffney Secretariat's exercise rider. I'm still amazed the page took off the way it did.

Wishbone
(Login Wishbone05)
UpInClass Member

January 22 2007, 3:22 PM 

Otis, you have a really neat Web site that I've visited often.

That must have been such an incredible experience at the '73 Belmont. I remember watching it on TV awestruck as a little girl, but my dream was to have been there! May Big Red live on in our memories forever.

otis0930
(Login otis0930)
UpInClass Member

January 22 2007, 7:51 PM 

Thanks Wishbone..I'm glad you enjoyed the web page.
As for the '73 Belmont had I only been smart enough to scoop up all those programs flung on the ground I'd be sitting pretty....lol
Thanks again.

Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

January 23 2007, 9:57 AM 

Nice webpage Otis! I was at Aqueduct (I can't remember if it was Aqueduct or Belmont) when they paraded Secretariat around the track for the final time. I have pictures of him with a blue blanket on his back. They also gave out souvenir keychains, which I have one of, laying around the house somewhere. It was a very special moment I'll never forget.
Steve

(Login Anthony10307)
UpInClass Member

My Racetrack History

February 9 2007, 3:48 AM 

The first time I set foot on a race-track was as a 12-year-old in the summer of 1971, visiting both Belmont and Aqueduct (which had a summer meeting through 1976) that year. By the late '70s I was a regular at both tracks. I've also been to the Meadowlands, Monmouth Park, and Philadelphia Park, as well as the now-defunct Green Mountain Racetrack in Vermont.

My biggest betting score was on the trifecta in the 1990 Kentucky Derby (Unbridled, Summer Squall, Pleasant Tap - about $1,500 as I remember) which just happened to be the only three horses who were within 10 lbs. on the Experimental, had Dosage Indexes of 4.00 or less and had some Solid or Professional chef-de-race presence in their Dosage Profiles (at that time only one Derby winner since the 1930s - Affirmed - had lacked Solid and/or Professional chef-de-race influences).

Thunderbolt
(Login flabulge)
UpInClass Member

February 9 2007, 4:29 PM 

Afrashad,

Green Mountain? Holy cow....that brings back some memories....although when I got there in the late 70's it had already gone to the dogs......nothing like seeing someone go to the window with a $20 win bet and see the tote board odds drop from 7-1 to 4-1.......tough roads getting in and out of that joint!

T-Bolt

Weava
(Login WVaMudd)
UpInClass Member

From the back of my horse...

March 2 2007, 3:55 PM 

I've seen the Sun rise...

My BEST friends have large brown eyes!
Sportsmans, Hawthorne, Arlington, Maywood,Fairmount, CD but not when racing there.All California tracks except Ferndale & Cal-Expo.

LAst week had a 60 to 1 shot at Hawthorne.
I have a dear friend, I call him "Shotgun" Pete, who taught me "to catch the bigger fish, use a bigger net!" His approach is when the SITUATION is RIGHT, bet all horses over 8 to 1.

Have worked on the backside, own two former race horses who are now in their 20's.

Handicapping is handicapping. Knowing horses is fascinating.
The reason one can bet them is few people can talk to them, and they can't bet.

Play good music when you sit there going over the DRF. Taught to me by a bookie over 40 years ago, who I hope is still watching them come home through the Stretch!

Well I'm standing next to a Mountain...
Chop it down with the edge of my hand...

(Login triguy237)
UpInClass Member

resume

March 6 2007, 1:21 AM 

The first time I remember going to a race track was in 1974, although my father took me in the 1960s.
My home track (don't laugh, OK) is Fairmount Park in Collinsville, Illinois. It's a small track that runs mostly bottom level claimers, and this is where I learned how to handicap and bet the races.

Tracks I've been to: Fairmount(home base), Churchill Downs, Keeneland, Cahokia Downs (burned down in the late 1970s), Latonia (now Turfway), Detroit Race Course, Hazel Park (used to be a quaint, pretty little 1/2 mile or 5/8 track, can't remember which), Ellis Park (one of my favorites. Has a great old-fashioned country fair feel to it. Like going back to 1935. It's great.), Oaklawn, and a couple others which are now escaping me.

Longest shot picked: I like to play shots, and a couple of years ago picked an 80-1.

Biggest win: I love exotic bets, and used to play (and win!) a lot of trifectas, hence the triguy nickname. In the 1970s and into the middle 1980s, our local track only ran 1 trifecta a night, which was on the last race. Only betting twenty dollars maximum, I hit 11/15 and 13/22 (I keep meticulous records. Helps you know how well you're doing). This was when the field size was average 10+ horses or so.
I've hit several $1,200 trifectas, and I hit a $2,200 superfecta at Ellis Park in 2004.
Just recently started branching out into P4s and P6s. With a sparse bankroll, I came within a neck (and a Corey Nakatani poorly judged ride) of nailing the Jan. 24 SA P6. I thought that the card that day was, for CA, fairly straightforward, and I was able to single three races.

Best day at the track: April 1984, I walked with $3,800 after nearly leaving the track in a fit of anger after losing a close photo in the 2nd race. Looking back, that would have been very stupid. In the intervening years, I have matured a little bit and learned to retain my composure.

I absolutely love the challenge of horse racing, and the friends you gain from it. Sure, I've had some heartbreaking tough losses, but so have we all. I still dearly love it. There is nothing I would rather do than spend a day at the races. Nothing. Well, maybe spend a week at the races.

I also love contests. I think they make you a better player. I play on PH, the SA and Delmar contests, Road to the Roses, etc. and I show a lifetime profit on PH after, I think, something like 250+ races. I have also finished in the top 10 at my local track in their handicapping challenge several times. There's nothing like handicapping for a whole day, and then getting a check at the end of it! What a great feeling!

I have been reading these posts for some time now and, in a voyeuristic sort of way, feel that I already know several of you.
I am looking forward to learning from you, and also to sharing my thoughts and betting angles.

Here's hoping that we'll all have a good time. Thanks for listening.
Scott

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

March 6 2007, 10:32 AM 

Welcome to the forum Scott...

Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

March 6 2007, 11:55 AM 

Welcome Scott. You'll find us to be a fun group of guys (and gals) as well as being knowlegeable handicappers (maybe I'm being too kind to some of us!)
Steve

Ziggy
(Login BroadBrush)
Stewards

new hometown track

March 6 2007, 2:02 PM 

Hey Scott,
I guess my 'hometown' track is now Fairmont Park. I think it's the closest to me. Heck as long as I've been here it's amazing that I haven't been yet. I tend to hit the nearest track on virtually every vacation and I've been here 2 years without a visit. Maybe we could meet up when they race. Well that is if I can get away. Things are just a bit hectic here. But hey I just love adding tracks to the resume. It's hell though going from having a 5 track option on any given Saturday (CT, Pen, Del, Pha and whichever MD track was running) to just Fairmont (64 mi away).

ziggy Mike

Z~i~g~g~y~

(Login triguy237)
UpInClass Member

Fairmount Park

March 9 2007, 1:59 AM 

Sure Ziggy. I'd love to show you the palacial grounds of Fairmount.
It's hard for me to go except on Tuesday afternoons.

Ziggy
(Login BroadBrush)
Stewards

March 9 2007, 2:08 AM 

I saw they just opened (on my b-day). I'll have to see how things go this week. We've got one big medical mess hanging over us, MRI tomorrow and follow up Tuesday. I think we already know the answer so it looks like more surgery for the wife. I might have to squeeze Fairmont in before that happens

Been a fun month........ NOT. Only good news lately was the step daughter wasn't pregnant, Thank God!!!!!!

And no I'm not married (yet), just Liv calls me step dad, has me on the family tree and Chris calls me her husband. Kind of funny, was the fiance and don't remember asking, now the husband and I seem to have missed the wedding LOL.

Z~i~g~g~y~

(Login flexshines)
UpInClass Member

May 2 2007, 10:01 AM 

Year 2003 Kentucky Derby..... Had "Eye of the Tiger" Eye of the Tiger Did not

TRACKS Delaware Park, Philadelphia Park, Belmont Park, Monmouth, Meadowlands, Atlantic City, Hollywood Park, Gulfstream

highest odds horse ~50-1, Claiming Race at Mountnaineer, 3 bumped starts in a row, getting an outside post for the 1st time

Largest payoff on a $2 bet:Nothing to big so far $485 Straight $2 Exacta on a couple of bombers at Philly

Best Day: Tied Sunshine Millions 2006 & 2007, out of the 18 combined races I probably hit on on at least 15

Dell
(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

May 20 2008, 11:17 PM 

Been awhile since our RESUME thread was at the top of the forum.
Figured it was about time to bring it back and give our newer members
an opportunity to introduce themselves... WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

(Login vagrant2)
UpInClass Member

May 22 2008, 12:08 PM 

A 4-year-old thread I'd never seen before. Asleep at the switch!

Track debut: '79 Derby. Hit the first bet I ever made, a $64.60 exacta. I was 15 and naive. Managed to smuggle in 6 Old Milwaukees. Left the cooler to bet. Came back and they were gone. The exacta -- and a kind, scofflaw beer vendor (I was 15 but looked 12) -- kept me and my best friend lubricated all day.

Home track: Churchill Downs.

Tracks visited: An appallingly short list -- CD, Kee, Turfway, Gulfstream, Pimlico, Laurel and a dead track near Birmingham whose name I can't remember.

Best $2 bet: Arcangues at 133-1. A 5-minutes-to-post flier. Didn't like a single horse in the race. 99-1 on Andre Fabre? Gimme $10 to win. Why not? (How often does that work out?)

Best non-fluke $2 bet: Domedriver in the '02 Mile at 26-1. Loved him. Had a lot more $2 on him. Got lucky, though, when The Rock dwelt at the start. Whew.

Biggest ticket: $19,113 on the '00 BC Pick Six. I was part of an 8-man "syndicate." Have to admit: I'd have never hit it on my own. I hated Perfect Sting in the F&M Turf.

Biggest non-fluke ticket: $4,636 on a $20 exacta backwheel with Evening Attire, Hawk Wing, War Emblem and Volponi over Medaglia d'Oro. OK, it was a semi-fluke. Three of the steeds ran 4th, 8th and 9th. I only used Volponi because a couple of guys here were so adamant about his being primed for a quantum leap. At 44-1, who am I to argue?

Favorite ticket: $100 ex box of Street Sense-Hard Spun in last year's Derby. Loved 'em both. Pimped 'em all week. Watched it unfold from a 3rd-floor box inside the 1/16 pole. No better feeling in the parimutuel world than to watch your Derby exacta cruising by daylight over the last 400 yards.

Worst picks/days: Too numerous to mention or remember. Two stand out ... 1) The day before the '91 Pimlico Special. 8 races: no win, no place, no show. $1,100 feebly down the drain. Shoulda stopped after the first bet. Key horse was leading by 5 turning for home. Snapped a cannon bone. Euthanized. Bad omen. ...

2) The '99 BC. Loved Darling My Darling in the JF. Plowed 1/3 of the bankroll into her. She's still out there.

Followed up with thisclose beats in the Sprint and Mile tris and a dead-wrong read of the inaugural F&M (tossed Soaring Softly). Feeling luckless and inept -- mostly inept -- I made the lamest bet of my life in the Juvenile.

Had $8 bucks left. Was NOT gonna re-hit the ATM. Liked Anees. ... I never bet to show. Haven't bet "across the board" in 20 years (the game's arithmetic says it's a terrible bet.) But, dispirited, I bet $6 to show on Anees.

Shame-facedly collected my $34, bet $30 of it back on a Daylami-keyed tri in the Turf that got split by Royal Anthem and, tail between my legs, made one bet on the biggest race of the year -- $4 to show on Golden Missile in the Classic. Thank gawd he came in and paid $30. Because I'd have skipped dinner otherwise. Seriously.

I'd already hit the ATM once (after the Darling My Darling disaster). Twice in the same day? Never.

Worst meal I ever ate. But, hey, at least I didn't go to bed hungry (though I deserved to) and didn't rob myself on a day when I clearly had no clue -- and no courage. Obviously.

I hated horse racing for months after that. A year later, I left the track with $21,000+. Go figure.

What a game!

(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

May 22 2008, 12:19 PM 

Welcome to the forum Vagrant.

Horse racing - The only game where you can feel like an absolute genius one day and a complete and utter moron the next.

How can you not love this game???

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

Welcome CherokeeScot

May 28 2008, 3:04 PM 

Saw you visiting this morning and added you to the group... WELCOME TO UpInClass!

(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

May 28 2008, 3:37 PM 

YEAR 1978 Perth , National Hunt, Scotland ..... was nearest track to my home in Aberdeen about 80 miles away...first paper I can remember reading was the Sporting Chronicle (sadly now defunct)

TRACKS Perth, Musselburgh, Hexham, Goodwood,Windsor, Hollywood Park, Rockingham Park, Gulfstream Park, Churchill Downs, Saratoga, Calder, Monmouth Park, Keeneland.

HIGHEST ODDS HORSE 50-1, Snow Knight, 1974 Derby

LARGEST PAY OFF ON A $2 BET $750...... trifecta at Saratoga last summer

BEST DAY AT TRACK..has to be Oaks Day at Churchill Downs 2007 as I met a very special filly there..

(Login vagrant2)
UpInClass Member

May 28 2008, 4:18 PM 

Can't find a Snow Knight on my '74 Derby chart. Must be talking about roller derby.

Just kidding, CS. Welcome aboard.

(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

1974 Epsom Derby Results

May 28 2008, 4:27 PM 

(Login brown31)
UpInClass Member

May 28 2008, 8:02 PM 

I have been going to the track since I believe 1994. Sam Houston race track was the first track I have ever bet on. I use to go and bet when I was under the legal betting age ( i guess it's just in my blood). Anyways my largest win horse that I can recall was 47-1 caressing in the breeders cup juvinile filles back in 2000. I remember losing over a hundred dollars the first race that day when Beautiful pleasure and Riboletta both bombed and lucas ran one, two with spain and surfside. So I penny pinched the 2nd race and instead of playing the tri and exacta I only played the exact needless to say Caressing won the race, plantinum tiara came 2nd which paid something like 487 for a dollar and she's a devil's due was 3rd. I boxed those 3 and 2 others in an exacta, IF I would have played all of them in the tri box which would have been $60, I would have won over 9,000. Anyways my largest win was a maiden race at churchill downs and actually to think about it, it was actually my largest odd horse to win as well. It was back in 2006, I can't recall the horses name, nor the trainer, I do know he was a first time starter that had good works, but no big name connections he was going off at something like 50+ - 1, and I beleive Hernandez Jr was riding none the less he won pretty easily with a stretch run and two of the other logical contenders came in behind him and the tri paid over $5,000 for a dollar. IF I remember correctly the actually bet with this 50-1 on top only cost me something like 6-12 dollars. I actually should have played the super because it paid over 100,000 and I would have had it. My bet structure had lack of big money to bet has cost me thousands over the years.

Ozzy
(Login DOsborne)
UpInClass Member

May 28 2008, 9:14 PM 

Great thread, here goes!

Year: 1978 Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland is my first memory of the track, Alydar breaking away from the post parade. I remember my uncle telling me how special that moment was. Of course, I was decked nearly in head to toe in blue and devil's red courtesy of Calumet so I was an Alydar fan! Kind of grew up a track rat but my first real venture to the track as a betting adult was the 1994 Jim Beam Stakes at Turfway Park. It was the last race my uncle, the man who planted and cultivated the passion I have for this sport, attended before he passed.

Tracks: Turfway, Keeneland, Churchill, Saratoga, Arlington, Mountaineer, Delaware Park, Timonium, Philly Park, Pimlico, Gulfstream, Calder, River Downs, Thistledown, Del Mar, Retama, Lone Star, and Woodbine.

Highest odds horse: 62-1 on a 2YO first time starter at Keeneland on glorious October Friday. Can't remember anything else about him other than he was a grey bred by Ben-D Farm/Charlie Deters who is a friend. Only reason I bet him $5 WPS.

Biggest Payoff: I remember wagering $96 on a Pick 6 ticket and it returned $18,000 and change one Saturday at the Spa. Want to say it was 2001 Whitney Day but can't remember for certain. I remember my wife running late getting ready for us to head out and almost missing the post for the first of the Pick 6 races as a result. I barely got the ticket in, luckily for her or I would be a widower still serving my sentence!

Best day at the track: I've been fortunate to attend many great days of racing but The Spa, 7/27/02 is my pick as I was privileged to see one of the best races I've ever witnessed with Carson Hollow and You battling it out in the Test Stakes. The photo near the wire that is often shown for the race by Adam Collignase was actually "taken" by my wife who pushed the remote button on the under the rail camera. That day was a treat for sure as I was also fortunate enough to come home with several winning tickets and had no trouble buying rounds at Siro's after the races! Gets the nod over the 1998 BC at CD when the Classic was one of the best fields ever assembled and the '99 BC at Gulfstream when I parlayed $40 into over $5,000 with place/show bets before losing the ticket in the BC Juvy. It was ran as the 6th of 8 BC races then. Damn Captain Steve as my next two plays were Daylami to win and Budroyale to place!!!. A sign of the true degenerate gambler I would become, I shrugged to my future wife when I lost and said, "Damn, I just lost $40!" Luckily I learned to pocket a few of my winnings on days like that. Hoping this day changes to 5/31/2008, the day I had two G2 Stakes winners!

CherokeeScot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

May 28 2008, 9:45 PM 

I also was at Gulfstream Park that day to cheer on Daylami for Europe. Frankie Dettori was particularly emotional after the roasting he had received for his ride on Swain the previous year.

(Login sloppyj)
UpInClass Member

May 29 2008, 8:22 AM 

I just realized that I never entered my stat sheet on this thread.

FIRST TIME: I had been to the Meadowlands a few nights in the early 90's just for somehting to do, but I watched the Kentucky Derby at Belmont Park in 1996 and won a few bucks on Grindstone. Attended Preakness and Belmont Stakes that year and the rest is history.

TRACKS: Saratoga, Belmont, Aqueduct, Churchill Downs, Del Mar, Santa Anita, Hollywood, Turf Paradise, Prescott Downs, Monmouth, Meadowlands, Penn National, Delaware Park, Pimlico, Laurel, Louisiana Downs, Hialeah(Beautiful, a shame that it is closed), Lone Star(Breeders Cup), and Punches Down in Ireland.

LARGEST WIN: This year's Derby. Had the triple.

LARGEST $2 WINNER: Maybe 20-1. Nothing spectacualr there.

BONUS: The three tracks I really want to get to: Oaklawn, Fair Grounds and Keeneland

(Login CShillito)
UpInClass Member

May 29 2008, 9:04 AM 

Totally missed this thread, too. Can't miss my chance to leave a footprint on this site.

First time: Jefferson Cup day at Churchill Downs in 1988 (can't remember the date). I was 13 years old touting my father on Sea Trek as a can't lose, who came out of an up the track finish in the Derby. Said he was a can't lose (looking back, the horse was bred up and down for the turf). Once again, the horse finished up-the-track.

Tracks visited: (sadly) only Churchill, Keeneland, Ellis Park, Turfway, Kentucky Downs and River Downs

Home track: Churchill 1st and Keeneland 2nd

Largest score: Hit a $6,000 pick 4 last summer at Ellis Park that included, surprisingly, no runners above 10-1. Symbolized my coming of age as a player and also began my worst slump ever.

Worst loss: Last leg of a pick 4 in November with 9 of 11 horses used in a mdn 15k claimer. The lowest payoff was 1k and the highest was 30k. Had no cash in my telephone account to cover the other two runners so I let it ride. I watched in horror as the 50-1 Lavenham, one of the two I DIDN'T use, went wire to wire, allowing for a pick 4 payoff of $60,000. That sucked.

Biggest $2 payoff: I can't remember, I've been doing this for 20 years.

(Login vagrant2)
UpInClass Member

May 29 2008, 1:10 PM 

Tough beat, Doc.

Sloppy, you definitely want to do Keeneland someday. If you're a college football fan, sync your trip with a UK home game. They're always into the SEC schedule by October, and the opposing fans light up Kee with enthusiasm and dumb money.

The Georgia fans are best. They've had an Oct. slot on the UK schedule for ages, and several thousand of them are addicted to the biennial horsehide-pigskin doubleheader.

You can't believe how pissed they are when TV moves the football game back to an afternoon kickoff.

Swear to gawd -- Keeneland might be smart enough to one day adjust the First Post time to, say, 10 a.m. to accommodate CBS' 3:30 kickoff. And they should. The horses don't care. The fans would love it -- except the handful of rickety bluebloods who don't want to change anything, ever.

(Login vagrant2)
UpInClass Member

May 29 2008, 1:55 PM 

Oaklawn is cool, too. But Hot Springs, Ark., is in the middle of nowhere. You have to try hard to get there. Not entirely sure it's worth the effort.

But! If you've got some time, you'd get great glimpse of the Deep South if you coupled a trip to Fair Grounds with a trip to OP. You'll be astonished by the way the surroundings change in a mere 350 miles -- the people, the food, the topography.

Every American needs to visit New Orleans at least once.

It's got nothing to do with helping rebuild a terribly distressed reason, though that's an important side benefit. South Louisiana is like no place in America. Everything is different. It's almost foreign territory, south of Baton Rouge. Different food, different attitude, different land (waterlogged and absurdly fertile), different dialect -- Cajuns and "Coon Asses" (which is not a racial slur related to skin color) speak more like New Yorkers than Nashvillians

They sell alligator meat at concession stands outside LSU's Tiger Stadium. And boudin.

Tiger Stadium, btw, is closest thing our young country has to Rome's Colosseum. But it's not yet a museum piece. It's old and decaying, and only in the tradition-bound South would a top-shelf team like LSU not abandon the place for new digs with skyboxes and such.

They'll do that someday. Can't blame 'em. The joint is a dump by modern standards. But that's what makes it cool.

It's an old-school, Colosseum-style bowl that, with the heavy air of that region, gets indescribably loud when the mood strikes.

I covered a game there in the late '80s, vs. Auburn, where the crowd noise set off seismographs as far away as Natchez, Miss., 80 miles east.

Go down there. You'll be perplexed, depressed, amused and amazed.

You will NOT be bored.

Sloppy
(Login sloppyj)
UpInClass Member

May 29 2008, 4:59 PM 

Hmmm....

I went to Georgia Tech, so I find the propect of winning lots of money from Georgia fans very intriguing.

Tex
(Login TexMex04)
UpInClass Member

June 24 2008, 5:14 PM 

Just rereading this and have to comment on OP and FG. Living in the south as I do and spending much of my formative years in South Louisiana I can testify to vagrants post. As a teenager I sold stadium seats at Tiger stadium. They were god awful very old canvas things that we rented for a dollar. We sold out very early because they offered padding. We set them out and picked them up and got to keep the money. We also got into the game free. This was a teenage tiger fans dream. I bleed purple and gold to this day even though I am in Texas.

I have had the pleasure of visiting OP each year for the past 15 or so on Rebel stakes weekend. Hot Springs may just may be my favorite city in the country. Of course the weather is cool and it is a pleasure to walk through the town. Almost everyone is there for the races so you can talk horses with anyone. I imagine it is kinda like Saratoga - I would like to find out.

I have not been to the Fair Grounds since the fire but I was there before and saw the "old" Fair Grounds. I loved it. It is set up like OP or it was. Huge facility with alot of separate rooms with so many betting windows. All of the old fixtures and pictures of the past were mesmerizing. I wonder how it compares now - I'd like to find out.

(Login bertconvy)
UpInClass Member

Good Luck ALL.

August 20 2008, 4:34 PM 

"playin'" since 1978...
originally from Detroit.
now reside in Atlanta.
mostly online and OTB these days...
favorite track: SARATOGA.
Good Luck ALL.

(Login TenFurlongs)
Stewards

August 22 2008, 10:03 PM 

"our history", as it is, with thanks to The Zigster for recognizing the core.

TW

(Login Paseana)
Stewards

August 23 2008, 1:29 AM 

This is perhaps the best thread ever started on any board anywhere.

Ziggy, you have created something here that helps to make UpInClass so incredibly superior to any other board on the web. We ARE the best, and this Resume thread welcomes so many to our community.

You put this up nearly 4 years ago......and we're still bumping it up.

Good job Zig!

Grommet
(Login grommet4)
UpInClass Member

Forum lifetime past performances

August 23 2008, 8:59 AM 

I agree, this is a fantastic thread. It's been great to see the history of the forum pals, especially the ones I've chatted with for several years back on the old Louisville C-J Forum.

First exposure to horse racing: 1988, when a couple friends took me to River Downs. I had fun but wasn’t hooked yet.

True hook into horse racing: Sunday Silence in 1989. I first saw him in a simulcast of the Santa Anita Derby at Beulah Park. A black horse with sweet acceleration trained by a crafty old veteran nicknamed the Bald Eagle – that was enough for me. When he upset Easy Goer in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, it was over. I was officially a horse-racing fan.

Home track: Churchill Downs, a couple hours south of my home town, Cincinnati.

Other tracks visited: Keeneland, Turfway, Saratoga, Gulfstream, Hollywood, Santa Anita, Del Mar, Hoosier Park, Thistledown, Beulah Park, River Downs.

Highest odds winner: The highest-odds winner that I had in the past couple years was a horse named Clear Conscience that won at Churchill around 70-1. I recall having some others this high through the years, but frankly I can’t recall the horse names, and I know that many of them were fluke picks before I even used the racing form.

Largest score: The 2006 Breeder’s Cup Distaff at Churchill downs. I knew I liked Round Pond, the 1 horse, so keyed her over the 12,13,14 in a $1 superfecta. 50% of the reason I used those underneath horses was thinking that 1 over 12,13,14 sounded lucky, the other 50% was that they all seemed like legit overlays. $1 brought back a little over 19K. The classic big-score formula, mixing logic with the implausible.

Worst loss: The night before the 1994 Breeder’s Cup, I had a dream that I was watching a race from the infield. In the dream, a longshot gray horse was front-running on a long lead and wound up winning by daylight. I chalked the dream up to typical pre-race-day excitement and falling asleep thinking about horses. The next day, when I was really in the Churchill infield, the Distaff went off. Halfway through the race, a gray horse (that I had not used at the windows) goes by us on a fairly comfortable lead and I get a déjà vu feeling. I checked the tote board and saw that she was 47-1. She wins and I’m kicking myself for not taking the dream seriously - and not checking all the gray horses before each race. To rub it further in my face, the horses name: One Dreamer! I rarely have horse dreams, but believe me, I pay closer attention now.

Tony
(Login ndsc32)
UpInClass Member

August 23 2008, 10:21 AM 

Hi Guys,

After reading thru this thread, I realize I may be one of, if not, the oldest member of this forum. I have been going to the races since the eary 50's and the end result is that I am in the red. LOL Actually, I have had my share of winnings but winning is not the end result for me. I enjoy the races, if I win, which I always try to do, great, if not, so be it.

Tracks I have visited are, Garden State Park, both the original and rebuilt, Philadelphia Park, Delaware, Monmouth, Meadowlands, and Belmont.

Biggest bet I ever collected on was a 99/1 shot and the exacta. Only problem is it was some time ago and I truly don't remember the actual payoff amounts or the track. Might have been Calder, but not sure. Once caught 7 out of 8 winners at the old Garden State Park. (Back in the 50's) I am not really a good handicapper. I rely on hunches, gimmicks, angles, and guesses. Do better with them than selections that I handicapped from the form.

Most stupid selections) I made-Recently put in selections for races a day after the races were run and still did not have a winner. Go figure.

Biggest disappointment - My winning longshot entry in the recent contest was being disqualified (as it should be), for being 2 minutes late in entry time. Tough.

I may not be a good poster in the forum, but I do enjoy reading daily the comments you guys make regarding the horses, trainers, etc.

Good luck to you all.

Pauline Haste
(Login danziggirl)
UpInClass Member

December 7 2008, 12:41 PM 

I guess I got hooked on this thoroughbred thing quite late. About two years ago on the Biography Channel they showed a biography on Northern Dancer. After watching it, I was totally hooked. Having learned that he was born and is buried at Windfields Farm (about 15km from where I live)- I had to visit. Since then I love anything and everything concerning Northern Dancer and all of his progency.

I am not really into betting on horses. We visit Woodbine on a regular basis, but nothing to report on that line. Seeing I was born in Epsom, Surrey where they run the Derby I guess I should appreicate racing more! Since reading a few books etc. on Northern Dancer I have branched out to other horses, including the fantastic Secretariat, Sham, Man o' War, Kelso, Seattle Slew - but my love still goes back to Northern Dancer. Another great Canadian horse was Dance Smartly (by Danzig, of course!). If you have not, please take the time to watch her races on Youtube - you will be very impressed!

I know Northern Dancer had a great race record, but I think he is the single most influencial sire of sires of sires in the 20th and maybe the 21st century!

Thank you for letting me join your group.

(Login JohnnyBatTBD)
UpInClass Member

Resume

December 7 2008, 1:11 PM 

Year - 1963 Roosevelt Raceway in Long Island. They wouldn't let kids in back then (on school days) so my Dad sat me and my brothers on the backstretch fence and watched us with his binoculars from the grandstand. Today, I think they'd call that child abuse.

Tracks - The Big A, Belmont, Saratoga, Calder, Hialeah, Arlington, Churchill, Bowie, AC and Rillito (but I was drunk at Rillito. All I remember was that they rolled the toteboard on to the infield before the races began).

Highest odds horse - $98 and change, Lady Slipper at Hialeah in 1973. She was laid off for more than a year and dropping from open company in NY to a lower level MC. Her works were extraordinary and she just popped. Today I dismiss that type summarily.

Largest payoff for $2 - I don't remember but I've collected $1500 or so several times last season at Tampa on $1 tris and supers.

Best Bet Ever - a $200 DD on a $10 combination with both ends winning by five.

Dad moved to Florida in '75 and I've (we've) been Tampa regulars ever since. I live on the east coast now, but I drive across every couple of days for the live racing at Tampa.

I'm a retired cop from NYC, did 25 years, the last 7 in the counterterrorism unit right after the big one. Glad to be retired. I have my own handicapping website and generate just enough cheddar to keep my wife from insisting that I get a real job.

You are a great bunch of guys and gals and I'm glad to be a member.

Johnny B.

Larry LaTour
(Login Hezethebest)
Stewards

2 newcomers on 1 day?

December 7 2008, 4:09 PM 

It's rare we see 2 newcomers update the "Resume" thread on the same day at this stage. Welcome aboard to you both. Interesting backgrounds and stories from each suggests you'll be a great fit. From someone whose father-in-law was NYPD for 31 years (the "44" near Yankee Stadium) and with 2 brothers-in-law and 2 nephews on the force now I know you've earned your retirement in sunny Florida, John.

LL

(Login JohnnyBatTBD)
UpInClass Member

Thanks Larry!

December 7 2008, 8:46 PM 

Thanks for that warm welcome and hello and welcome to Pauline also.
Just for the record, I ended up on the forum as a result of my association with Tom Williams.
Tom and I touted our Tampa selections on our respective blogs last winter an I've come to respect and admire him. He invited me and here I am.

Johnny B.

Wright Stuff
(Login WrightStuff)
Stewards

December 31 2008, 11:09 AM 

My name is Eddie and I live in Brooklyn, NY (Fort Greene). I am a weekend warrior but my main love is handicapping contests. I have played contests for the last 4 years and have yet to qualify for the NHC. I have been to the HPWS 3 times (qualifying twice at Delaware Park). My first time at the HPWS I paid the $1000 entry fee and finished tied for 27th out of 715 entrants.

Year - I started playing horses in 1985 but did not visit a track until the Fall of 1991 where I saw Housebuster win the Vosburgh at Belmont.

Tracks - I have visited the following tracks but with the exception of Aqueduct, Belmont and Hialeah the primary reason for my visit was a handicapping contest. Aqueduct, Arlington Park, Belmont, Calder, Canterbury Park, Churchill Downs, Colonial Downs, Delaware Park, Ellis Park, Fair Grounds, Freehold, Hawthorne, Hialeah, Meadowlands, Monmouth and Sam Houston.

Highest Odds 34-1 on Joppa Flats at Saratoga this Summer.

Largest payout I hit a $23,342 superfecta in the 2007 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe but I only had it for a dime ($1,167.11). Aiden OBrien had 4 entries, including the 7-2 second choice Soldier of Fortune (5th), but Kieran Fallon chose to ride Dylan Thomas (11-2). I keyed him and wheeled Youmzain (who had finished in the money numerous times behind Dylan Thomas) in the other 3 positions (a $27 bet). Youmzain finished second at 66-1 followed by a 33-1 and a 50-1. I had to survive a 20 minute inquiry but was confident the results would stand and thankful that the race was run before French stewards.

(Login NYBRED)
UpInClass Member

RESUME

January 14 2009, 8:08 AM 

My first experience in racing actually was an introduction to standardbreds at Roosevelt Raceway, which hooked me after I won
my first bet in 1963.I should have realized the difficulty of this game when I realized my 95-1 shot was actually 9-5 happy.gif

I soon became interested in thoroughbreds, utilizing speed and pace figures, , "inside info" and actually had a small
positive ROI at Belmont ,Aqueduct and Saratoga.

Biggest payoff: Silencer in 1964 ? (148.00) which paid for my 1962 pontiac convertible, and 2 years ago, Hal's My
Hope at 220.00 which enable me to win a handicapping contest in NJ.First prize was 12k, not counting 8,500 in winnings.

Biggest win was at 2000 Aqu Handicapping contest for 25k against 350 contestants.

All of these profits unfortunately are vaporizing with my ownership of thoroughbreds.While I maintained a small loss
as a limited partner for the past 15 years, I am now an individual owner who has been hammered with three 2 year olds
who were promising.One suffred colitis ,and the other several chips, and I retired both babies rather thank risk injury.

I've a 3 yr old NY Bred who should be able to race within the next 45 days, and hopefully this guy will
change our luck.

Glad to be a part of this group!

(Login swedejxn)
UpInClass Member

Resume....

January 23 2009, 5:07 PM 

Yes... I have one.....

Introduced to the sport while managing a lumber yard in Shreveport in the 80's.... Supplied alot of material to John Frank's operation during the time.. Many of the Jockey's ( and wrestlers) called the area home during the time and made many "connections"... been to the many "world championships" a few times (won my way in) and despite being in a "dry" state... mississippi.... consider myself a "good" handicapper.... turf and maidens are my forte.... HATE HATE HATE synthetic ... especially woodbine..

Never criticize others... rather look at them as another perpective....
Saved my tail a few times even when I figured they were dead wrong....

input is input and all is usefull and welcome....

Good luck at the windows

doctor disaster
(Login doctordisaster)
UpInClass Member

Man..this place went up in class

January 23 2009, 7:11 PM 

welcome friends.

docspa

(Login ed584)
UpInClass Member

March 31 2009, 12:31 AM 

I learned the game in the late 1960`s playing mostly Detroit and lower Canadian tracks.

Visited nearly all the east coast tracks both Sulky and TB ..Way to many to remember anymore.

My biggest hits have ranged from 10-20k on several occasions yet way to infrequent for my liking.

These day`s my life evolves around my wife of 33 years 3 kids and 6 grandchildren.

Since my retirement from Pilkington Glass one of my hobbies has been entering handicapping contest mostly online. My success has so far been mixed but it keeps me sharp enough to make a little spending money on cash bets.

I visit several Forums and have found UIC to be friendly with decent gentlemen that enjoy the true spirit of the game.
Thanks Dell for maintaining this great place! ED

(Login The_Knight_Sky)
UpInClass Member

March 31 2009, 4:32 PM 

Well here's what I have posted elsewhere (my blog, of all places).
It's a tip of the iceberg perhaps, but it'll do here.

About Me [linked image]

Where do I start? How about back in 1996 when I first started conducting
online handicapping contests on America Online during their heyday.
I also used to conduct the Friday Night Handicapping chat and
it was one of the most popular horse racing chats on AOL.
I have also served as contest-master on several forums since then with
the creation of various horse race handicapping contests.

I have believed in a simple and appealing presentation of these contests
and I look forward to conducting a contests regularly here in this space.
Newcomers are welcome to participate along with the veterans.
Also, while I am a handicapper, I'm also interested in the business side
of thoroughbred racing and I will chime in on the issues concerning the
sport and its business matters today.
I hope you will visit this blog regularly and tell your friends about it.

Some of you already know me as TKS or Norm but
I will forever be known as: The Guy Smiley.

More info in my blog post:http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2009/02/weve-come-long-way-baby.html

please visit (and participate)
http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com

(Login pat5336)

March 31 2009, 8:32 PM 

I work at the meadowlands,aqueduct for trainer Jack Ludwig as a groom from 1980-1982 i also work at a casino as a ticket writter and a slot supervisor and today i work as a security officer at a strip hotel & casino.

I started to play horses at the age of 16 at the meadowlands and all nyra tracks been to turp paradise santa anita hollywood del mar los al (keystone-now philly park).

(Login Hiker40)
UpInClass Member

Resume and Hello

May 15 2009, 7:55 PM 

Hello UpInClass.

I am not much in to this sort of thing, but this looks like fun. Just a bit about Hiker40.

I started going to the races in July 1982. My best friend, Triguy, introduced me to the pleasures of Fairmont Park, trifectas and long shots.

I have been to Churchill, Elis Park, Arlington, Hawthorne, Turf Paradise and the old Cahokia Downs(when I was a kid, I don't remember much.)

Longest shot was Champagne Skipper at 52 to 1. It was may 22nd birthday at Fairmont in the middle of a blinding snow shower. (Ok it was a pacer; so it really does not count. Plus my girlfriend was complaining up a storm the whole day. Should have dumped her then, turned out to be an expensive mistake.)

I like the on line contests. Playing different tracks helps build handicapping skills.

I am looking forward to learning something from the Forum. I tend to be an over-analyzer/self-loather.

That is about it, thanks for the invite to UpInClass.

PS. Triguy is the real deal. I witnessed the 13 out of 15 stretch.

Scott
(Login triguy237)
UpInClass Member

May 17 2009, 1:39 AM 

Welcome aboard, hiker40!

(Login Daylami)
UpInClass Member

May 18 2009, 3:12 PM 

Hello folks,
I am from Ireland.My first time at a racecourse was at Limerick in the 1980's a kid.I got really seriously into horseracing around the mid 1990's.I've been to all the main tracks in Ireland many times.My favourites are Leopardstown in Dublin and The Curragh in Kildare not far from Dublin.

I suppose one of my favourite days was Sept 9th 2000 when I saw one of my favourite horses Giant's Causeway win the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown.Unfortunately he couldn't win the Breeder's Cup Classic the same year going down by a nose to Tiznow in his first and only race on dirt

Unfortunately I couldn't attend in 1999 when another favourite of mine Daylami won brilliantly before going on to Breeders's Cup Turf victory.

I have also witnessed Irish Derby success at The Curragh for two magnificent horses Sinndar(Arc winner subsequently) in 2000 and High Chaparral(English-Irish Derby double,2 time winner of BC Turf and Irish Champion Stakes victor) in 2002.

My biggest single race win was when the mighty Sakhee won the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe in 2001.I could only watch it from home unfortunately but I just thought he was unbeatable so placed a sizable wager and he was as he destroyed a top class field by 6 lengths.Like Giant's Causeway the year before he couldn't get the better of Tiznow in the Classic on his first and only race on dirt.

My biggest payday ever was a treble I had about 8 years ago which paid about 4,700 for a 20 stake.

I have never been in America but if I ever get a chance I'd love to go to some of the big racetracks like Saratoga,Belmont,Santa Anita etc.I love watching the big races in America and it's interesting to see the different ways races are run between Ireland/England and America.French racing is also different and I love watching their big races also.One thing I love about US racing that we don't have is the sectional timing.I love to work out from early fractions if I think the leaders can stay out in front etc and sometimes I'm amazed how a horse can lead all the way despite clocking very fast times for the first 2 and 4 furlongs.

(Login acendahole)
UpInClass Member

Howdy Dali...

May 18 2009, 7:41 PM 

Just wanna say welcome and let you know to keep an eye on a fella who calls himself Big Daddy...he put some kinda Irish evil eye on me the other day via this very message board and things have gone downhill for me since!...lol

(Login nickvito)
UpInClass Member

Resume

June 25 2009, 4:31 PM 

First Year @ the track- 1969-1970 somewhere around there. My father was a trainer, owner and we bred our own for a few years. He used to drag me along as a youngster.

Tracks Visited: Penn National,Laurel, Pimlico,Timonium, Bowie,Delaware,Philly,Saratoga,Belmont,Gulfstream,Calder,Monmouth,
Churchill,SantaAnita,Arlington,Woodbine,Atlantic City, and Epsom Downs.

Highest Odds horse - "Pet me not" - Early 70"s at odds of 70-1. Penn National

Best Day at the track -This years Belmont, Had the Summer Bird /Dunkirk Exacta Heavy along with Summer Bird to win. The triple and both daily doubles.9K
Own a piece of a 2 horse's curently in training with a few friends . One is running tomorrow at Belmont in the 8th race her name is "Strike the Bell"

"Glad to be here , Glad to be anywhere "

(Login MadameBlum)
UpInClass Member

July 1 2009, 3:57 PM 

Dell,, I figured that I better get around to posting a resume...sorry for the delay... not really much to say...

Year??? about 1983???
Not sure...
My grandmother and father used to take my brother and me to the harness track at Saratoga...I really fell in love with the sound of the horses feet on the track..(clipclopclipclop)..(I didn't bet then)
...I was there for pure enjoyment of the horses and an ice cream....
.......vanilla and chocolate swirl cone..........anyway

We then started attending The SPA..... Saratoga Race track
I bet at first purely on the name alone...(Ham Sandwich, On Rye, With Mustard)or by color......The greys always are in the money................
I then began learning how to read the racing form and I would only bet the closers...... and....Now .....I'll bet ???..............

Tracks I've been too: Fingerlakes, Monmouth, The Meadowlands, and Saratoga

Greatest odds of a horse:
Stormy Raj ....I don't remember how much...I just remember it was a lot of money. It was a very slopply track and the horse was the longest shot on the board.. We had received some good information that the horse liked a wet track. (the horse came from last to win)....(needless to say I drew great attention to myself while watching the race at a local OTB)
I was hooked.........

Largest Payoff on a $2 bet: MADAME BLUM...won the race....the exacta paid $589. The triple paid $4741 ......

That was my best day ever...besides the day I met my honey (TW) at a Funny Cide celebration at the Albany Teletheatre.

(Login dla70)
UpInClass Member

July 22 2009, 12:38 PM 

ILL. boy have been to Chicago Tracks a few times but most of my betting now is at the OTB.
Dr Fager is the best horse I have seen run have to say that was A few years ago.Looking fordward
to contest. 18 place in last year PH contest but that was just luck.

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

August 10 2009, 4:34 PM 

Bobtail writes...
My keet is yellow - has a wooden leg, a patch over his left eye,
a plastic wing, no tail to speak of and answers to the name "Lucky".

[linked image]
...but what of The Bobtailnag himself?
Inquiring Minds Want To Know More... wink.gif

(Login Bobtailnag)
UpInClass Member

August 10 2009, 10:30 PM 

Is there something specific you'd like to ask? Unlike the Unibomber, my life is an open rap sheet.

The Bobtail

"It was a woman who drove me to drink. I never did thank her" - W C Fields

WalterZ.
(Login WalterZ.)
UpInClass Member

November 14 2009, 8:55 PM 

First set foot on a track: 1970 as a kid with my Grandparents but the hook was set in '73

Tracks: Belmont, Aqueduct, Bay Meadows, Golden Gate, Arlington

Highest Win Odds: 55-1 Noble Fighter

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $3,300

Best Day: Probably the $3,300 or any day I walk out with more than I walked in with.

Shout Out to some familiar names: Hi, TKS, jhauck, JolyB

Walt

(Login Voodooyou)
UpInClass Member

My turn I guess..

January 3 2010, 9:35 PM 

Horses? Probably late 70's at Tampa Bay Down. I actually cut my teeth on the dogs--grew up so close to Derby Lane dog track in St Pete Florida that when I was a young kid in bed at night I could hear the band playing-could make out what song it was. Started sneaking in there when I was about 15. The horse were probably more a once/twice a year thing until simulcasting became popular in the mid 80's or so around here and I changed away from betting dogs to horses. Dog races are basically 30 seconds and the winner is generally determined by who gets knocked down and who survives the first turn-just kind of figured I got a better shake at the nags, that's how it's been since my mid 20's or so.

In the last 4-5 years I've had a hand in ownership. Very lousy business, but when they win---well it's pretty hard to describe-it's unreal---you don't walk down the steps-they actually rise up to meet your every step. And it's damned hard to do--and when it's race day you get all nervous whether it's an allowance race or a nickle claimer. And it makes you feel very nervous and very much alive.

Tracks? TBD-Calder/Gulfstream, Monmouth, Meadowlands, Arlington are all tracks that I have actually campaigned a horse-have held credentials. I've never had anything better than maybe N2x or 25 claimers--maybe a 50 claimer--nothing special and I'm just about out of it right now (business is terrible right now-and they are expensive things to own!) but believe me I'll be back in again with both feet. I do truly enjoy the early mornings, but the excitement-great people I've met-and like I say the "feeling alive". I've helped a buddy give Santos a leg up on his horse at Saratoga--and have a lot of buddies on the backside at Suffrin' Downs. Keeneland too. And I visit Saratoga a couple of times every summer--it's just the best!

Biggest scores? Took a super over 5k once-I've strung together days when I left 7k to the good-split a pick-5 at Monmouth once with a buddy-been setting on pick-4s where I hedged the ones I didn't have covered so that when the gate opened I was going to see a profit of somewhere between $2500 to $6000--no matter what--man that is a very odd, calm feeling--you only wonder how the hell can the gate break down or something and the race gets cancelled and I get screwed! Crazy ideas can run through your head sometimes!

2 dollar hit? Had 50WP on Sarava-big play on Pleasant Home in Breeders Cup-had 50/50 on Summer Bird in derby so I figured I better do same at Belmont. 100 on the nose of Tabasco Cat in 99 BC. But I think the best two I ever remember are a couple of playbacks I gave to everybody I knew at Tampa Bay a couple of times, and I think the majority of the people I told bet them--one named High Time Scott and the other named Neumie--both had gotten mugged bad last out and I knew it wouldn't show up in form-both paid into the 80+ dollar level--both cases I couldn't buy a drink the rest of the meet---sure made a lot of friends those times!

Bad beat? Hmmm...well Lepareoux on the filly in the BC at Churchill 3-4 years back--when he sawed the field and got second on by far the best horse but had his number (rightly I must add) taken down? I must have blocked her name out of my mind!!! But if you dwell on the bad beats...you poison your karma right! LOL!

And might I add--seen some very bright-very nice people on this site that have been kind enough to reach out....

This is a good site people!

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

January 14 2010, 10:37 AM 

Nice write-up PEM...
I sure enjoy reading this thread! happy.gif

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

Hey Slihawk!

January 14 2010, 10:45 AM 

[linked image]
I did a little digging and discovered that you first arrived @ UpInClass
on October 27, 2004... also on that day there was a Total Lunar Eclipse.
[linked image]
WISHING YOU ASTRONOMICAL SUCCESS THIS WEEKEND WITH MALLORY SQUARE! happy.gif

(Login slihawk)
UpInClass Member

Re: Hey Slihawk!

January 14 2010, 11:14 AM 

Wow 2004 talk about being inactive...big time lurker for years
Thanks for the karma. We really like our chances. She had a bit of a cold last week (darn cold weather) but we claimed her stablemate back Proud Ally.
I'll do a resume when I get a chance right now I'm thinking of only one thing.
Good luck on getting that part!

(Login parisbob)
UpInClass Member

July 28 2010, 10:58 AM 

Wanted to bump this up so some of the new folks could introduce themselves...

(Login TenFurlongs)
Stewards

August 4 2011, 9:38 AM 

Welcome new members!

TW

(Login wtollesjr)
UpInClass Member

Resume???

August 4 2011, 12:27 PM 

Hello all ---My love affair with ponies began around 1960 my very first trip to Vernon Downs and I (with a pal) hit a $ 428.00 DD with a horse named Galley "Z"(His pick) ($102.00)on the backside and ...it was "all over". You may not understand that but "Trotter" would! Since then I have enjoyed but paid heavily for my indulgence over time.
I have been to more harness tracks by far which are Meadowlands ,Syracuse Mile,Roosevelt,Yonkers,Meadows, Pocono,Brandywine,Liberty Bell,Batavia,Buffalo,Northfield,Saratoga,Delaware Oh.,Green Mountain,Rockingham,Hinsdale & Monticello.Flat Tracks - Saratoga ,Finger Lakes Aqueduct ,Suffolk,Tampa Bay,Delaware Park,Calder and Gulfstream. I found the information available more reliable and informative in runners so I have favored them the last 15 yrs. or so.
Like everyone else I've had "My Day in the Sun" actually quite a few times but not enough, if you know what I mean. Biggest $2.00 payback - Syracuse Mile-- Deer Run & Jerimiah's Bull Frog---$600.00 exacta. Largest Trifecta--$2,500.00 and Super---$4,200.00. As you can see I am a game player not a bettor. I lose alot!!! As my friend Larry can attest I pick quite well if I'm on my game.....and I bet awful under all conditions. I am a $2.00 bettor and have reason to do that,mostly unhappy history as a "punter". I love your site and find it entertaining and informative at times. You Guys & Gals often pick horses that are big price winners that I couldn't find with binoculors. Keep up the good work and may the horse be with you. Butch P.S. Sorry I missed your contest I wasn't really aware of it until it was going on...Next time!

Large Mac
(Login kmac1470)

Better Late then Never

August 7 2011, 7:49 PM 

Just noticed this post after lurking around here for a while.....

Started going to the track (Assiniboia Downs) when I was about 9 with my older brother. He used to gather up all the Coke bottles in the house and take them back to Safeway to get money to play.

My first memory of betting is having a winning $2 show ticket on a $1,500 claimer named Lealert. I dropped the ticket in front of the grandstand and it got in the swirling wind along with all the other discarded tickets. At least in those days the show tickets were blue and you could tell them apart from all the other types of wagers. We did find it.

I used to have horse racing tournaments using an old board game that I got one year for Christmas called Win, Place & Show. Does anyone remember it?

[linked image]

By the time I got to high school the racing form was tucked safely between whatever text books I was carrying.

Tracks - Assiniboia Downs is my home track. I've been to Woodbine, Fort Erie, Santa Anita, Hollywood, Arlington, Canterbury & Fonner Park. I've also been to the now closed Stampede Park, North Dakota Horse Park, and Centennial in Denver. Harness - Greenwood, Flamboro, Western Fair & Los Alamitos. They used to race harness in the winter at Assiniboia. I have been known to stand outside and watch races when the temp is below zero celsius. I always figured if the horses and drivers had to be out there why shouldn't I?

Biggest Win - Hit the last race at ASD on Labour Day(notice the Canadian spelling) 2005. Swept the late Pick 3, Late Double, and last race Exactor, Tri and Super for $3,900.

Fondest Memory - I dabbled with ownership a couple of times. Nothing compares to owning a winner!

Thanks for allowing me into your group. I'm having a ball here!

KL
(Login beertapper)
UpInClass Member

resume

September 21 2011, 9:41 PM 

First race: growing up in the 80s (!), i recall going to my local track (Hastings, was Exhibition Park then) with my family. My dad would take a $2 bet for me, although I didn't know how to read the form. I just looked at the tote board and took longshots

Tracks: haven't been to any in north america except Hastings. I've been to three tracks in Japan though: Tokyo, Kyoto, and Nakayama racecourse. Was lucky enough to watch the 2009 Japan Cup, where Vodka just held on to win (best race I've seen but a little annoyed as I had the 2nd place horse to win). Also visited Kranji racecourse in Singapore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qQbYS0lyvA

Highest odds horse: it's definitely something in recent years... Miesque's approval in the BC, or Dancing in Silks.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: had a $860 daily double at mountaineer once, but it was me tailing someone else'e play, so although the payoff was nice, I can't take credit for it.

handy.capper
(Login handy.capper)
UpInClass Member

February 8 2012, 1:42 PM 

Thanks for having me....

Strictly a SoCal guy born and raised. Hollywood Park in the mid-late 60's got me hooked listening to the great Harry Henson stretch calls. Native Diver was a thing of beauty I'm not sure I've seen since. Some of the great Shoemaker/Whittingham entries had the place buzzing every weekend.

As a stooper at age 10 I was rewarded with enough money to buy my first little league glove, it was so cool not needing to borrow from the other kids between innings, was forever grateful to grown-ups that took me that day.

Even though I was a "seasoned veteran horseplayer" by 1978 that didn't get caught up in any hoopla I made a conscious effort to take my camera for the very first time on Santa Anita Derby Day and got a close-up of the great Affirmed before he won the Triple Crown. To this day I swear that heart/class is more important than time and he was my first living proof example.

Mid 80's split a $28K Pick6 four ways, that was a lot of cash to take home for a small player.

1989, my one and only Kentucky Derby. Got very lucky with a future book bet made in Vegas a couple months prior....had Sunday Silence at 50/1. Wife bought a very pretty hat, too bad it rained so hard but she was protected lol. Since it may be our one and only trip we went first class, stayed with owners/trainers at the Galt House, a great experience. Loved visiting the nearby farms, like most folks we couldn't help but check out the favorable real estate prices, shoulda bought a home then, who knew? Aterwards, friends told us "for what you spent that week you could've gone to Europe" to which I replied, yea, but then we woulda missed the Derby!

Been a small time investor in a few racing partnerships, nothing to brag about, but it's fun having an owners license and going on the backstretch. And there ain't no better place in the world than Santa Anita's Clockers Corner as the sun rises on a weekend morning. Steam from your coffee and steam off the horses backs as they walk back from workouts, steam from Bob Baffert as he walks by discussing yesterdays photo, steam from a tout who has a sure thing, it's all there at arm's length, truly a wonderful spot to be, given a choice I'll pick it every time possible!

Scott
(Login triguy237)
UpInClass Member

February 11 2012, 8:00 PM 

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will have plenty of knowledge to share.

Good to have you here!

Large Mac
(Login kmac1470)

Resume

March 27 2012, 9:10 AM 

Bump

Small Mac
(Login maclr11)
UpInClass Member

Resume

March 27 2012, 2:27 PM 

Year: Probally 1999 though I think I had been actually at the racetrack before my memory allows me to recall as Dad owned horses and I just grow up there.

Tracks: Assiniboia Downs is the hometrack. I've been to North Dakota Horse Park, Santa Anita, Woodbine and Mohawk along with Miami and Portage Harness fairs on the local circuit.

Biggest Payday: July 30th, 2011 Pick 4 at ASD. 2,760 split between three guys.

I have a weekly column in the Assiniboia Downs racing newsletter. The Insider
You can view archived issues herehttp://www.assiniboiadowns.com/the-insider-archives-list.cfm

I am 19 years old and its great to see how much fun you can have in this game.

Look forward to a blog and a radio show by the end of the month.

Large Mac
(Login kmac1470)

The Macs in action

March 27 2012, 3:28 PM 

[linked image]

Here are Small Mac and I in action last year on Manitoba Derby Day. Obviously working hard trying to find a winner!

Oh and as you can tell from the photo Small Mac isn't so small...a little young and wet behind the ears but not small.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

March 27 2012, 3:42 PM 

Did "Small" declare early for the NFL draft?
This looks like a pair that would fit right in at Travers week.
Hooper

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

March 27 2012, 4:08 PM 

Are boas the traditional dress wear for men in Manitoba? Canada = boas, Scotland = kilts..Texas = 10 gallon hats. And a little tip from Spank to Small Mac...when pressed between two cuties for a picture...wrap 'um up! He'll be tall enough to play mixed volleyball soon! How's the V-Ball team lookin' this year?

Large Mac
(Login kmac1470)

When a pretty girl hands you a boa

March 28 2012, 7:22 PM 

you wear a boa! No problem although when your wife is taking the picture you try not to look too happy about it.

Rob (Small Mac) played 2 years of high school ball at guard but blew out his shoulder and have to have some surgery. Took him out of any recruiting. All is well now though.

Volleyball is going well for my daughter although she is on a 17/18 team playing against some elite 18 year old teams. Gaining lots of experience! We were at a tournament in Wisconsin in early March where we played some teams from the Chicago area. God are there some amazons down there. Think we will stay up here on the northern plains!

Rob and I would love to get to Saratoga someday. We have our sights set on the Breeders Cup this year at SA if we can swing it at all.

Anyway please welcome Rob (Small Mac) to the community. I think he will have some intelligent contributions to give.

Small Mac
(Login maclr11)
UpInClass Member

March 29 2012, 12:28 AM 

Id like to once again thank you all for the welcome
I will take the picture advice and use it well
I'd love to get to the spa one day
But bc2012 is a big goal
I'd like to correct dad that I was a much more fleet foot tackle in my hs career
Not a slow lumbering guard lol

Thanks again everybody
Good luck and good racing

(Login triguy237)
UpInClass Member

March 29 2012, 8:18 PM 

"Working hard to find winners?"

Looks like your work paid off!

WELCOME aboard...guys!

Scott

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

May 15 2012, 5:30 PM 

Hi blunny... I am glad you found you way to UpInClass! happy.gif

(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

May 15 2012, 5:36 PM 

Can't wait for lexxylovesvegas to post her résumé.

Should be an enjoyable read.

(Login spanky126)
UpInClass Member

May 16 2012, 11:42 AM 

I wonder if she plays fantasy football...

Nick
(Login nickvito)
UpInClass Member

May 16 2012, 6:45 PM 

You guys are a tough bunch sometimes-
I'm sure Lexi will love the UIC gang happy.gif !
Just give her a chance

(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

Hi PonyGirlJCM...

August 30 2012, 9:15 PM 

I saw your name and added you to the group. happy.gif

(Login PonyGirlJCM)
UpInClass Member

Re: Hi PonyGirlJCM...

August 30 2012, 9:20 PM 

Hello All-

My first experience with horse racing was back in 1985 or so when a co-worker asked me to pick a horse in a race- told him I knew nothing about horses and he said that with the way he was going I had as good a chance of picking a winner as he did- looked at the names and told him what my pick would be and he told me that the horse didn't stand a chance as the odds were long and all the stats were against him-told him again I didn't know anything about horses-I just liked the name- next day he came in and handed me a few bucks and said "lunch is on me" - he played against the odds and the darn horse won---
When I play I still go with my hunches as I did that day- can't say it has made me too much money but I play mostly for fun-and the rush of watching the horse run-
play all the big races-
Best hunch in recent times was "I'll Have Another" in the Derby- unlike all those who thought the name came from someone being thirsty I knew the real story and as I had a craving for "another" myself-I played him-

Haven't had much opportunity get to a track- but have been to Saratoga---

Thank you for the invite--- happy to be a part of your group--

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

Breeders Cup visitors

October 22 2012, 5:17 PM 

bump ...please take a moment and introduce yourself happy.gif

ziggy aka broadbrush
(Login ziggyMike)
Stewards

October 23 2012, 10:14 AM 

As an addition to my resume ..... probably was doomed to love this sport. For one animal lover. One nail was my ability to watch for free since I was about 4 til about 10. I lived within walking distance of my grandparents whose bedroom window overlooked the backstretch coming out of the clubhouse turn, Pimlico, ... betting M&M's with my sister. Plus we have the fair and a parent that liked the sport so could go with dad to watch the horses occasionally.

Then there was the other grandfather. At Pimlico every day when he retired. They rented a room to the guy who did Jack's Green card. Helped print a few as I was fascinated by the press. Heck I worked evenings for about 10 years and I was at Pimlico every day for quite a few meets till about the 5th race.

Then there's my love of math ...... the Racing Form looked divine LOL.

Only left the track broke twice ... once changing pants because the weather was way warmer than called for (you just gotta love MD's weather) and left my wallet in the other pants. Only had the $5 I kept in the glove compartment and whatever change I could dig up, barely enough to get in. Got lucky as someone gave me a pass, built it up to 20 and bet the horse I was there for ..... stumbles, looses jock. You just gotta love this sport. The other, just a bad day with too many photos, a DQ and I really liked most of the horses, but hated the last race .... frustration had me unload the last 50 on a shot ...... alcohol, not horse , a beer and a race I knew I should never touch. You gotta love this sport wink.gif

Z~i~g~g~y

mattcoll
(Login mattcoll)
UpInClass Member

Resume

November 5 2012, 3:50 PM 

Been looking/lurking at Upinclass since 2005. I check it before every big race.

First year on the track:

1985: Delaware Park for July 4 with the family. Scored a stunning upset taking 1st in the Statue of Liberty finger painting contest. $100 savings bond that I cashed in for college tuition in 1998.

Tracks visited:

Delaware Park, Philly Park, Tampa Bay Downs, Belmont Park (one of my favorite places in the world, been to six straight JCGC days and Breeders Cup 2005), Churchill (Breeders Cup 2011), Monmouth (Breeders Cup 2007), Aqueduct (saw uncle mo lose the Wood at 1/5), Atlantic City each spring. Meadowlands once for a race before a Devils/Flyers Game. Snuck over to Garden State park once in high school right before it closed.

Best Day: 11/3/2012. BC Sprint. .50 Tri played ABC/ABCD/ABCDEFGHI. My first signer ever. Played it with a friend and used our best ideas together. His ideas hit the board and mine raised the cost of the ticket.

(Login MikeSek)
UpInClass Member

March 11 2013, 8:12 PM 

I started going to the races with my parents in 1972. COUGAR II was The Big Deal in Southern California - everyone loved him - and I thought he was beautiful and amazing. Reading the Daily Racing Form came easy, but that was because I was so interested in racing, so learning and absorbing the information came easy! I remember always asking my mom or dad for a dollar so that I could "get tomorrow's form."

Gambling is only fun when I win. I gamble a little bit, but I'm much more of a racing fan. If I lose a majority of the time where is my incentive to continue gambling? If I were to win all the time, however, I would play the races every single day! No one shows up at Gamblers Anonymous saying, "I have a huge problem...I win thousands of dollars each weekend at the horse races!"

My biggest wins were probably the day I won close to $2,000 on QUIET RESOLVE when he won the Atto Mile at Woodbine. I think I won about $2,700 the day WELL ARMED won the San Diego Handicap. And I won over $2,000 on TIZZY'S TUNE one time. So far during this meeting at Santa Anita I have attended the races nearly every day, and I think I have bet on 5 or 6 days and lost about $60 or so. So that's not bad!

Photography - especially photographing racehorses - is a fun hobby.

I have been to Woodbine, Aqueduct, Belmont, Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Del Mar, Los Alamitos, Meadowlands, Fresno and Stockton.

John J Barile
(Login JohnnyBatTBD)
UpInClass Member

March 12 2013, 4:10 PM 

Welcome!!!

Warren
(Login goldandmyrrh)
UpInClass Member

August 31 2013, 1:12 AM 

Day 1.....Memorial Day 1974 at Belmont. I was 16 and hooked early when my father somehow picked Arbee's Boy in the Met at 50/1 or so. I learned later he couldn't read a racing form any better than a Chinese newspaper and his pick was based on one of his "makes no sense" number and jockey theories he had.....this one was to bet Eddie Maple in the big race of the day, but only IF he was on the #3 horse AND only if the #3 horse was a longshot, AND only if the whole thing was happening at Belmont.
Tracks: Belmont, Aqueduct, Gulfstream, Hialeah, Calder, Tampa Bay Downs, Saratoga, Suffolk Downs, Rockingham Park, Churchill Downs...in that order
Highest Odds: Temperance Hill(53/1), $200 win, 1981 Belmont Stakes. #3..Eddie Maple
Payoff on $2 bet.....a $2 superfecta 15 years ago paid $8500 at Gulfstream. A $24 bet 7-8 over 1-2-7-8(numbers that still work at GP..just sayin')
Best day at the track....and the reason I'm posting. I was 17 and it was Gulfstream Park Handicap Day in 1975 with my Dad. He picked the #4 horse who was 17/1 against an odds-on Proud and Bold, based on some other theory of his and "we" made a $50 win bet on the winner, and I recall vividly running this one home across the clubhouse apron with my father.
I miraculously just found a youtube clip of the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MZK6WBOKQ

Welcome
(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

New Folks!

August 18 2014, 10:42 PM 

[linked image] ...please take a moment and introduce yourself.

William Pietschman
(Login bpiets)
UpInClass Member

August 19 2014, 10:36 AM 

just realized looking at my RESUME that 'i' am a lot older now...where have all those years gone....

Current Topic - Resume  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum