<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Resume

December 22 2004 at 4:22 PM

Ziggy  (Login BroadBrush)
Stewards

Just curious as to who "we" are. Kind of an honor system deal, no exagerations if you please but, first year you set foot in a track, tracks visited, highest odds horse ever picked, largest payoff on a $2 ticket (no matter how much wagered), best day

Year 1969 Preakness ..... though was at Bowie once before that, 63ish, just not old enough to wager so that doesn't count.

TRACKS Pimlico, Laurel, Bowie, Charles Town, Penn National, Delaware Park, Philadelphia Park, Colonial Downs, Belmont Park, Saratoga, Keeneland, Thistledown, Churchill Downs, Santa Anita .... the latter two for Breeders Cups ..... not counting the three harness tracks, though love Ocean Downs near Ocean City for it's simulcast facility ...... oh and how could I forget the MD spa, Timonium

highest odds horse 79-1, don't remember the name, Mary Wiley riding, at LRL in the slop..... Andy Beyer as a witness, thought I was nuts, though his buddy who I talked to in line saw my logic, kept us in beer the rest of the day in the Sports Palace (pretty sure he hammered the $300 exacta)

Largest payoff on a $2 bet $14,680 ...... 10 grand in cash after taxes, damn 28% ...... 5 of 6 in a mandatory payout, million $ pick 6, total wagered was $44, $4 ticket took that down, no one had six. (the race I missed was almost won by an 80-1 shot!!!!!! if only I could be that lucky <G>

and of course that would be my best day ....... if I hadn't oopsed at CD that breeders cup, that by far would have been better. I was on fire

Z~i~g~g~ý~

This message has been edited by BroadBrush on Dec 22, 2004 6:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve Levinson
(Login dirbud)

Re: Resume

December 22 2004, 4:51 PM 

Been going to the track since around 1965 (taken to Aqueduct where I saw Kelso run). Been a regular since 1969. Roosevelt Raceway, Yonkers, the old Tropical Park in Miami, Belmont (every Belmont Stakes since 1988),Aqueduct, Saratoga (a regular at the Travers for many years in the mid 70's and 80's), Gulfstream (you can see it from my mom's condo terrace), Calder, Hialeah, Philadelphia. Never had the pleasure of visiting the California tracks although I've been to California a few times. Highest price horse was AP Andie (107.50). Don't remember the highest $2 ticket but my best days were Go For Gin's Derby (over $5000), Lemon Drop Kid's Belmont and Birdstone this year.
Steve L.

turffan
(Login turffan)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 5:14 PM 

TRACKS in chronological order: Green Mountain Park, Saratoga, Rockingham Park, SUffolk Downs, Delaware Park, Laurel and Keeneland. Harness tracks Green Mountain, Hinsdale, Batavia, Foxboro, Saratoga and numerous fairs in VT and NH

How could I forget? - Great Barrington, Bershire Downs, Northampton Fair, Figer Lakes

highest odds horse 105-1 on a forgotten name at Penn National 2 or 3 years ago. If you've played turf races there you'll know that's about the average payoff.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $4,800 this past July 3rd in a Pick 3 at Monmouth. I had a buck on it.

Selection I'm "proudest of" : Hitting 6 of 7 in the Breeders' Cup Pick 7 in 1995.

This message has been edited by turffan on Dec 29, 2004 8:42 PM

doctor disaster
(Login doctordisaster)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 5:55 PM 

around 1964.As an eight year old,with my father and brother.
Saratoga,Belmont,Fair Grounds,Gulfstream,Rockingham,Meadowlands,Green Mountain,and Sportmans.
Doctor Disaster,breaks maiden MSW, Belmont 7th, July 24th 1993, 1&1/16 [T] :46.1 1:10.2 1:42.2 by 4&1/2 lengths 72.10/1 Win $146.20 Place $50.00 Show $15.00 (Yes I did)
Largest $2.00 ticket, Monarchos, Invisible Ink KD exacta $1,220.00

d;D

Paseana
(Login Paseana)
Stewards

December 22 2004, 7:30 PM 

First time ever at any track was in 1979, I think. Got hooked in the Spring of 1980.

Haven't been to that many tracks, actually. Santa Anita, Hollywood, Del Mar, and Fairplex are obvious. I did visit the Northen Cal Fairs at Fresno, of all places, once......the day that Fusaichi Pegasus won the Jerome! The only tracks out of state that I've visited have been Belmont Park and, of course, Arlington, and I have visited Keeneland, but not when the horses were running there. Strangely enough, I have been to Epsom Downs, Goodwood, Chester, Newmarket, and York in England, but only saw live racing at Epsom and Goodwood (1983 English Derby and 1988 Sussex Stakes respectively).

Highest odds on $2 was 93-1 on you-know-who, but that was a future bet so I don't know if that counts. I think the biggest price I ever won on at the gate was Last Tycoon in the '86 BC Mile......he was 40ish to 1 as I recall.

My best day at the track over all is a toss-up between 2 Breeders Cup days.....2001 and 2003. 2001 for more tickets cashed, but probably 2003 yielded more money.

Guess that's it!

'shoes
(Login wshoes)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 7:52 PM 

First Year :1971or2

First Ky Derby 1975 (28 total), one Preakness, one Santa Anita Derby, and 7 Breeder's Cups.

Tracks: Hazel Park, Detroit Race Course, Arlington, Churchill, Keeneland, Gulfstream, Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Canterbury, Thistledown, River Downs, Beulah, Turfway, Lone Star.

Highest odds horse: Alphabet Soup at ??? close to 50-1? I'm ashamed to say i was a little impared at the time.

Largest $2 ticket payoff: the 1992 Derby 3-7 Lil E Tee and Casual lies exacta- $842.

Best day: 1992 Derby Day + $1125.

Forego
(Login Forego)
UpInClass Member

December 22 2004, 9:02 PM 

Year: 1971 Belmont

Tracks: Belmont, Aqueduct, Monmouth Park, Saratoga, Garden State Park, Atlantic City, Meadowlands, Delaware Park, Philadelphia Park, Laurel, Bowie, Pimlico, Penn National, Suffolk Downs, Finger Lakes, Woodbine, Hialeah, Gulfstream Park, Calder, Oaklawn, Santa Anita -- Harness -- Freehold, Meadowlands, Liberty Bell, Roosevelt, Yonkers.

A few tracks overseas, Epsom, Ascot and Newmarket.

Highest odds horse: can't remember exactly but have had three or four who returned in the low to mid $90s.

Largest payoff on a $2 bet: $3,900 trifecta

Best Day: I've had a few, one was in '78 or '79. Working 2nd shift at a printing plant I got a tip on a horse running at the Meadowlands. I mention to a few guys and the next thing I know it's spread through the plant and everybody wants to put some money down. End up betting $2K ($500 of my own) to win. The horse wins and pays $30 even. It was quite a party!

This message has been edited by Forego on Dec 30, 2004 11:15 AM

Anonymous
(Login gallantbob)
Stewards

December 23 2004, 12:39 AM 

The first track I went to was my beloved Atlantic City in 1974.

Since then, I've been to Garden State, Monmouth, Philadelphia and Delaware Parks, Saratoga, Aqueduct, Belmont, Pimlico, Laurel, Gulfstream, Fairgrounds, Keeneland, Hollywood Park, Delmar, Santa Anita, Agua Calinte, Santa Rosa, El Commendante, Brandywine, Liberty Bell and Freehold. (And one bullring in St. Thomas).

I'd like to get to Arlington, Hialeah and Kentucky Downs.

The highest odds I ever remember cashing a ticket on was the day before the '89 Breeders' Cup at Gulfstream and the winner of the last race that day went off at 107-1. I caught the exacta.

I think the largest ticket I ever cashed was a 6k plus pick four on Preakness day in 2002. Thank you, Sarava and Mr. O'Brien.

Katman
(Login KatmanAKs)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 6:46 AM 

Year: 1970 (I think) I was 6 or 7 when my grandmother first took me to Thistledown while we were visiting.

Tracks: Belmont, Meadowlands, Monmouth, Philadelphia (Keystone), Thistledown
Harness: Dover, Freehold, Garden State, Liberty Bell, Meadowlands, Monticello, Northfield, Pompano, Yonkers and of course a handful of dog tracks in Fla. and R.I.

Highest odds: Harness: 99-1, twice at the Meadowlands in the 80's. I can't remember the name of either horse. Only had a few dollars on each. Flats: 70-1, $50 on Sarava, on the day I had the pleasure of meeting Forego.

Largest payoff: $8,500 trifecta at the Meadowlands harness. I had it for a buck.

Best day: About $4,000, Hambletonian Day 2004. Throw in the Haskell (since one of my tickets extended into the next day) and it was a $6,000 weekend.

This message has been edited by KatmanAKs on Dec 23, 2004 6:47 AM

Rod
(Login gillenr)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 11:07 AM 

Yonkers - 1956 - $2 show on Meadow Mamie - ran out!
Tracks - the list of the ones I HAVE NOT been to is shorter:
KEE
OP
DMR
GG
All newer in last ten years.

Foreign tracks I've been to:
WO
Ascot
Longchamps
Both versions of El Commandante
Kingston, Jamaica

Longshot - $212 at trots - I always bet 99/1 on 1/2 mile tracks!

Best capping day - 2003 BC - the only winner I didn't make money on was Halfbridled.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

December 23 2004, 11:59 AM 

1966,dad got me a job walking hots at Narragansett Park for $1 per horse.Big money!Had the privilege of walking Dependability who earned over $150,000 in his career.Look him up at pedigree query,100+ starts.
Attended races at 'gansett,suffolk,rockingham,lincoln,aqueduct,belmont,saratoga,tampa bay,gulfstream,churchill,laurel,pimlico,delaware,woodbine,penn national,brockton,northhampton,great barrington,green mountain.
Biggest $2 payoffs were to Win Arcangues at $269,Double Pilsudski/Alphabet Soup at $485,Exacta Singletary/Antonius Pius at $1495 and Pick 3 of Domedriver/Orientate/Starine at $4651.
My favorite race was the 1985 BC Sprint,the winner came off a 4 month layoff and was dropping down in distance from a 10 furlong race in 1:58.40.
Hooper

cockpit
(Login cockpit)

December 23 2004, 3:00 PM 

First visit: Monmouth 1974 with my father

Tracks visited: Only listing the flats - Monmouth, Meadowlands, rebuilt Garden State, Atlantic City, Belmont, Aqueduct, Saratoga, CD, Gulfstream, Calder, Hialiah, Delaware, and two tracks in Argentina, San Isidro and Palermo. Monmouth and San Isidro are my favorites. Saratoga would be number 1 but it is too crowded.

Highest Odds: Sarava in the Belmont.

Biggest price: I don't play many exotics, so my biggest hit was probably a $250 exacta that I get absolutely no credit for hitting. I took my father to Monmouth on a spur of the moment a couple of years back, with absolutely no idea who was running or what races were even on the card. As we walked in at some point in mid-card, the horses were loading in the gate. I walked up to the window and played my anniversary. Bingo.

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

December 23 2004, 10:46 PM 

1971 Delaware Park

Delaware Park,Phila Park,Bowie,Laurel,Pimlico,Charlestown,Belmont,Aqueduct,Saratoga(overrated IMO)Garden State,Meadowlands,Monmouth,Atlantic City(one of my favorites)Gulfstream,Calder,and Hialeah(the best)

I've had a handful of 50-1's but nothing longer than that.

Biggest payoff on a 2.00 wager was the same PK4 that G-Bob hit on Preakness Day 2002 that paid 6153 and a pk 3 from 2002 at Gulfstream that paid 6665.

Best day was Preakness Day 2002 with the pk4 and multiple pk 3's.I won a little over 10k for the day.

Reviewer
(no login)

December 24 2004, 4:18 AM 

Started going to the track at Agua Caliente with my Grandfather at about age 10.
Tracks visited: Agua Caliente, all the Socal tracks plus Golden Gate, Bay Meadows, Turf Paradise, and Aquaduct. Out of the country (besides Mexico)- When in Paris I did go to track about 19 years ago but can't recall the name. I have also been to the races in Hong Kong.
Highest horses odds- 90-1 if I recall correctly.
Largest payoff- Belmont stakes trifecta when Sarava won($1 payoff 12.5k). Just to be clear, unlike some others here, I did not like Sarava. I just felt War Emblem could well be off the board at 1 1/2 miles since he was pulling Espinosa's arms off when the jockey would try and rate the horse. I did love 2 horses in that race. Medaglia D'Oro and Sunday Break. I wheeled the tri with those 2 in 1st and 2nd with all in 3rd, then 1st and 3rd with all in 2nd spot and finally all on top with those two 2nd and 3rd. I was shocked when a 70-1 horse won the race, but a happy man.

Reviewer

Ibetponies
(no login)

December 25 2004, 10:58 PM 

I went to Hollywood Park with my best friend in 1970. I had a scrapbook that I kept with my daily selections since I was 9 or 10 and I thought I was the all time greatest handicapper. Anyway, first race I bet 2$ on Banker Agent with Rafael Meza aboard...he came in and paid $10.40. That $8.40 that I won has now cost me thousands...

I love the game so much...

I've had a few winning days...I love Santa Anita, of course, Hollywood Park and magnificent Del Mar. I went to Aqueduct one winner and froze my ass off but had a winning day...funny how that makes the cold so much bearable..

Saw Best Pal win the Big Cap and from my vantage point I saw the race beautifully. Just as the Big Guy made his move there was a flash of lightning a few miles off and right behind him...framed by the purple San Gabriels...it was magnificent.

Dell and I have made so many memories at the track...my love for the Shoe has never gone away....just like Dell's love for Laffitt.

I have a few longshots here and there...probably 35 or 40-1 was the best I did..(until this year! lol)

I had a day with Dell at Del Mar once when I told him I wanted to just make three hundre dollars...that was my goal. After the second race I had made my goal with 5$ bets...Dell, says, "Well, Mr. now that you've made your goal what are you going to do?" I told him I guess I had to pass (yeah, right)...ended up picking 6 winners and had a helluva payday...

I still love the smell of the racetrack...particularly after a light rain in the morning...it is such a great game, isn't it?

chazaward69
(Login chazaward69)
UpInClass Member

December 29 2004, 12:29 PM 

year on track--mid 80's not sure exactly

Tracks--lone star,trinity meadows,louisiana downs,sam houston, delta downs, evangeline downs, and oaklawn

Highest odds-- Sarava but only because I had two extra dollars left no handicapping involved--for handicapping War Emblem in derby 31-1 I believe

Largest 2 payoff--Trifecta in last years Malibu (keyed Southern Image on TOP of ALL on top of ALL --can't remember exact payoff but it was IRS ticket also War Emblem derby exacta was $1300

big daddy
(no login)

December 29 2004, 1:22 PM 

debut at track - 1982 finger lakes ractrack

tracks visited: ap, hawthorne, sportsman's, cd, detroit race course, ft erie, finger lakes, fair grounds, hialeah, cherry hill, turfway, thistledown, canterbury, prarie meadows, woodbine, retama park, thurles (ire)

biggest payout - approx $2600 - $2 tribox from santa anita - turf allowance race...all I can remember is that one of the horses was named nanosecond or something like that

largest odds - rockamundo in 93 arky derby at about 109-1 or so..had just $2 win on him on name only

b.d.

Unusual Pete
(no login)

December 29 2004, 8:11 PM 

Day I started: Jan. 1, 1999 at Golden Gate Fields. Wife dragged me out there. First bet was a winner on the nose of San Diego Pete. Hooked ever since.

Tracks visited: Golden Gate Fields, Bay Meadows, Santa Anita, Arlington, Churchill, Belmont, Hawthorne, Calder, and Philadelphia Park. Favorite...Santa Anita.

Longest price on a sizeable wager: Califo at GGF. $92.20.

Most notable stakes score: Charismatic in the '99 Derby.

Biggest $2 ticket: Can't remember the name. Some maiden trained by Thomas R. Bell who paid $220.

Larry LaTour
(Login Hezethebest)
Stewards

Resume

December 29 2004, 9:23 PM 

I became intrigued by the prospects of handicapping and playing the horses in the early 70's coincidental to my coming of age simultaneous to New York State welcoming OTB. Am proud of my "track" record of making it around the country somewhat and hitting many, many race tracks along the way.

Thoroughbred - 1) Aqueduct 2) Belmont 3) Saratoga 4) Finger Lakes 5) Meadowlands 6) Atlantic City 7) Penn National 8) Pimlico 9) Laurel 10) Churchill Downs 11) Calder 12) Gulfstream Park 13) Hialeah 14) Hollywood Park 15) Monmouth 16) Los Alamitos (quarters)

Harness - 1) Batavia 2) Meadowlands 3) Freehold 4) Roosevelt 5) Yonkers 6) Green Mt. Park 7) Saratoga 8) Vernon Downs 9) Monticello 10) Pocono Downs 11) Brandywine 12) Pompano Park

Greyhound Tracks - 1) Daytona Beach 2) Sanford 3) Melbourne 4) Hollywood 5) Green Mt. Park 6)***Palm Beach Kennel Club

***PBKC will be my 6th on January 4th, 2005 when I meet Robin there!

I've also enjoyed the fast action of Jai Alai in the only 4 states that have offered the action. Florida (Daytona Beach & Dania) Connecticut (Bridgeport, Milford & Hartford) Rhode Island (Newport Beach) Nevada (20 + years ago they had a fronton in the original MGM Grand in Las Vegas)

So much for my travels. Lest you think all I do is gamble, this past July we took a family vacation to Orlando and it marked my 15th visit to Disney World despite having never lived further south than Long Island!

LL

Badactor
(Premier Login Badactor)
Forum Owner

March 1 2005, 1:03 AM 

Started going to the race track at about age 5 or 6. Our family holiday tradition
was always going to Opening Day @ Santa Anita, the day after Christmas.
For me... it was this horse (and possibly this race) that hooked me into this great sport!

COUGAR II was my very first $10 WIN wager.
At that time, it was the largest single wager of my life.
Dad would give us kids ten bucks each to play throughout the day.
I would always play $2 to show until the money ran out or until I won...
but one glorious day, Big Jake handed me the ten... and I handed it back, saying:
"Bet it all to WIN on Cougar II!"
I don't remember what he paid... but I remember that he WON!!!

My HOME TRACK is Santa Anita.
Tracks Visited: Hollywood Park, Del Mar, Los Alamitos, Pomona, Bay Meadows, Arlington,
On the National Tour of the Broadway Musical, "The Mystery Of Edwin Drood",
I had a chance to visit Keeneland ~ back in the day w/no race caller, Canterbury Downs,
and the Phoenix Dog Track.

Acting Resume: http://imdb.com/name/nm0950306
Actor's Reel available @ http://www.youtube.com/DellYount

Looking forward to reading more forum members' resumes.

May your next wager be a winning one!
Badactor.

This message has been edited by Badactor on Nov 1, 2007 10:48 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 58 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum