<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Eclipse Awards

January 17 2011 at 12:20 PM

Cherokee Scot  (Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

After a month of beautiful weather here in South Florida , on the day of the Eclipse Awards it is raining and we have a tornado warning until 7 pm. I better nail down my kilt this evening !

This message has been edited by CherokeeScot on Jan 17, 2011 12:50 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paseana
(Login Paseana)
Stewards

Re: Eclipse Awards

January 17 2011, 12:56 PM 

Now that's just too funny, Bev! The picture is priceless!

I needed that this morning! Thanks! happy.gif

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

ZENYATTA - 2010 HORSE OF THE YEAR

January 17 2011, 10:02 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Ozzy
(Login DOsborne)
UpInClass Member

January 17 2011, 10:14 PM 

Leave it to Bev! Hope you enjoyed!!

Happy for the fans of big Z... And this not from a hater by any means, good for the horse and her fans, bad for racing if HOY can be won with that schedule.

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

January 17 2011, 10:18 PM 

[linked image]

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

The Party Begins

January 17 2011, 10:28 PM 

Kent Desormeaux trying to peek under kilt.
[linked image]

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

January 17 2011, 10:43 PM 

[linked image]

Mike
(Login Boozer_1)
UpInClass Member

January 17 2011, 11:07 PM 

Happy for the horse, her connections, and her fans. However, you may as well change the name of the award to Best in Show as opposed to Horse of the Year after giving her the trophy over Blame. You just can't compare their bodies of work imo. Horse Racing - The logic of illogic.

Great pictures Bev.

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

Madame Christophe Clement

January 17 2011, 11:25 PM 

[linked image]

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

Freddie Lencloud

January 17 2011, 11:27 PM 

[linked image]

Paseana
(Login Paseana)
Stewards

January 18 2011, 12:45 AM 

A couple of quotes from this thread.......

"bad for racing if HOY can be won with that schedule."

..."you may as well change the name of the award to Best in Show as opposed to Horse of the Year after giving her the trophy over Blame."

You know what you guys? This isn't the demise of the Eclipse Awards. Zenyatta's triumph tonight doesn't mean anything for the Eclipse Award in the long term going forward.

The fact is that she is a horse that we've never seen before and probably will never see again. Forget the historical ranking stuff...is she better than Kelso, 'Bid, Ruffian, or Seattle Slew...of course she's not, and her zealous fans that think she is seriously need to get a grip!

The fact is that she has touched fans of this sport like no other since John Henry, and he was a grouchy old guy that barely tolerated the adulation. She was totally the opposite.

I guess what I'm saying is that the HOTY Eclipse Award is just fine, thank you very much. A Zenyatta will come along again maybe never, and her winning that award is as it should be. Next year, and all the years to come, the HOTY vote won't have to deal with a mare like Zenyatta.

By the way folks...if I had a vote that counted, I would have voted for Blame.

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

Forest Boyce - Apprentice of year - nominated

January 18 2011, 1:07 AM 

[linked image]

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

Kent

January 18 2011, 1:08 AM 

[linked image]

spiderjohn
(Login spiderjohn)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 7:15 AM 

come on pas--"a horse like we have never seen before and likely will never see again"?????
The one time that I actually watched Z race, she was beaten.
Though I fully expect the record to be modified to actually make her the winner of last year's BC Classic and re-establish her undefeated record.

No such award for PERSONAL ENSIGN?
Didn't she retire undefeated also?

So--4 life or death wins over west coast 3rd-stringers and a loss in her biggest race of the year is enough to overcome the actual winning accomplishments of BLAME and GOLDIKOVA?

So--the writers have spoken!

A wonderful racehorse though.
She was obviously more than special.
Really doesn't matter my way though it just doesn't seem right.

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 8:40 AM 

Silly award but that vote had to be rigged.

Anyone voting Zenyatta over Blame based on the 2010 campaigns and the result when the two raced head to head should be ashamed of themselves.

Nice pics.

This message has been edited by big18741 on Jan 18, 2011 8:50 AM

'shoes
(Login wshoes)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 8:49 AM 

I'm guessing more than a few voters saw this as a "make-up award." I feel sorry for the connections of Blame but Zenyatta has one HOY award which is the right number, it just has the wrong year on the trophy.

'shoes

UpInClass
(Login UpInClass)
Stewards

January 18 2011, 8:55 AM 

After party...
[linked image]

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 8:58 AM 

Forest Boyce looks very uncomfortable.

Who is this maniac in the skirt with his arm around me.Get me out of here please!!!

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 9:41 AM 

I'm obviously glad she won, but as I've said before it's a popularity contest and really doesn't matter. The fact that a large majority of the voters come from east of the Mississippi does say something about the reach of this great animal, though. She was the best last year and didn't get it. I was surprised she won this year, but she did. So it goes. She won because she got more people involved in racing than any horse since Secretariat, apart from her great record. Walk down the street and ask some strangers who Blame is. They won't know. That's the difference.

Again, if you don't want a popularity contest, don't leave it to a vote. Set up objective criteria--most G1 wins, most money won, most G1 winner beaten, BC Champ, whatever spider thinks, whatever. As it is, it will remain like the MVP in baseball--subjective and open to debate, whoever wins.

But Zenyatta won, didn't she ? happy.gif

Cherokee Scot
(Login CherokeeScot)
UpInClass Member

January 18 2011, 10:02 AM 

Forest is our new stable jockey. I might be a sap but I twigged straight away that she was a great jockey in the making . We needed to branch out and having a Maryland based jockey will turn over a new leaf for us.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum