2. Fourstar Crook - Chad Brown - Javier Castellano
3. Quidura - H. Graham Motion - Junior Alvarado
4. Rainha Da Bateria - Chad Brown - Julien Leparoux
5. Sassy Little Lila - Brad Cox - Florent Geroux
6. Nezwaah - Roger Varian - Andrea Atzeni
7. Rain Goddess - Aidan O'Brien - Ryan Moore
8. Blond Me - Andrew Balding - Oisin Murphy
9. Puca - William Mott - Joel Rosario

A star-studded field of nine fillies and mares will contest the $500,000 E.P. Taylor (Grade 1) Stakes, just prior to Sunday’s featured Pattison Canadian International at Woodbine Racetrack.

The richest mare in the field with almost $780,000 banked in purses, five-year-old Blond Me is a two-time Group 2 winner campaigned by trainer Andrew Balding and owner Barbara M. Keller.

The Tamayuz daughter’s latest Group 2 success in the Betfred Middleton Stakes over 1-5/16 miles at York, Great Britian and a second behind the talented Winter in Goodwood’s Group 1 Nassau Stakes over 1-1/4 miles are her top performances this year. A subsequent start, which came in the Group 1 Qatar Prix Vermeille at Chantilly, France is best ignored according to handler Leanne Masterton, who said, “She was hampered badly, and he [jockey Oisin Murphy] pulled her up.”

Following a 2015 victory in the Taylor aboard Curvy, jockey Ryan Moore will sport the colours of Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith once again in the 71st renewal of the race as three-year-old filly Rain Goddess looks to up her game.

A two-time Group 1 runner-up earlier in the season, the Galileo miss was a half-length winner in the Group 3 Snow Fair Stakes at Curragh, Ireland at the end of August and finished third in her next assignment there, the Group 2 Moyglare Jewels Blandford Stakes on September 10.

Rain Goddess is trained by Aidan O’Brien, who also campaigns Idaho, the Pattison Canadian International morning line favourite, for the same connections.

Returning Taylor contender Nezwaah, who was seventh but just two lengths off the 2016 winner, beat Rain Goddess for her first Group 1 stakes win in the Pretty Polly over 1-1/4 miles on the turf at Ireland’s Curragh two starts ago with regular jockey Andrea Atzeni aboard. A winner in half of her 10 career starts, the four-year-old filly by Dubawi is trained by Roger Varien and owned by Sheikh Ahmed Al Maktoum.

Graham Motion trains two Pattison Canadian International contenders (Erupt, Messi) and will have a shot at the E.P. Taylor too with the highly-regarded four-year-old filly Quidura. Since winning her North American debut last September, Gestut Faehrhof’s homebred daughter of Dubawi and Group 1 stakes winner Quetena has finished no worse than third facing graded stakes company in five subsequent starts.

“They had very high expectations of her in Germany when came to me; they thought very highly of her,” said Motion. “Her being a Dubawi, she’s beautifully bred. The Dubawis are phenomenal. She hasn’t done a whole lot wrong since she’s been with me really.”

This summer, Quidura earned the Taylor field’s best 102 Beyer’s Speed Figure in the Diana (Grade 1) Stakes at Saratoga after being caught at the wire by Lady Eli then won the Canadian (Grade 2) Stakes last time out on September 16 at Woodbine. Both events were contested over 1-1/8 miles on the turf.

Junior Alvarado, who has been aboard for five or her six starts in North America including her three wins, will retain the mount in the Taylor.

Fourstar Crook will attempt to steal the glory in her Canadian debut for trainer Chad Brown and owners Michael Dubb, Bethlehem Stables LLC and Gary Aisquith. The five-year-old Freud mare boasts the most wins (nine of her last 10 starts) among the Taylor contenders. Among her victories are four New York-bred stakes, including a last-out score in the John Hettiner at Belmont Park on September 24, plus she’s won the Grade 3 Dr. James Penny Memorial at Parx Racing.

“She’s a very consistent horse,” said Brown. “She’s very good, and I think the mile and a quarter will suit her just fine.”

Javier Castellano retains the mount on Fourstar Crook.

Brown also brings Lael Stable’s Rainha Da Bateria back for another shot at the Taylor after her 1-1/4 length loss as the fifth-place finisher last year. The daughter of Broken Vow has since won (in a dead-heat) over the same distance and course in Woodbine’s Dance Smartly (Grade 2) Stakes then closed gamely from last to fourth in the Beverly D (Grade 1) Stakes at Arlington Park in her last outing on August 12.

"She always runs really well there at Woodbine; that’s one reason why we’re coming,” said Brown of the five-year-old mare, who also won last year’s Canadian (Grade 2) Stakes at Woodbine and will be reunited with jockey Julien Leparoux.

Trainer Michael Maker and owners Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey will be seeking a repeat victory in the afternoon’s 1-1/4 mile supporting turf feature. Kitten’s Roar will be looking to follow in the hoofprints of stablemate Al’s Gal, who won the 2016 edition of the E.P. Taylor Stakes for the same connections.

Kitten’s Roar enters the Taylor off a fitting victory in the $330,000 Ramsey Farm Stakes over 1-5/16 miles on the turf at Kentucky Downs. The five-year-old Kitten’s Joy mare will be paired with Jose Ortiz, who was aboard for her latest September 14 win.

“She’s been a great filly,” said Maker. “She’s been on a steady upward swing. We’ve been looking at this race since the summer.”

Maker will also send out a pair of Pattison Canadian International hopefuls on Sunday, including the Ramseys’ Kitten’s Joy ridgling Oscar Nominated.

Sassy Little Lila will be looking to break through for her first stakes win following runner-up efforts in three graded events for trainer Brad Cox and owners Sheep Pond Partners and Michael Ryan. This summer, she ended up fifth behind World Approval while competing with the boys in the one-mile Fourstardave (Grade 1) Handicap at Saratoga before that gelding went on to win the Ricoh Woodbine Mile here. Sassy Little Lila enters the Taylor off her latest second-place finish in the Noble Damsel (Grade 3) Stakes at Belmont last month. Jockey Florent Geroux will be seeking his second straight victory in the Taylor as he picks up the mount on the four-year-old Artie Schiller filly.

Fresh off a stakes victory in the one-mile Steve Pini Memorial at Suffolk Downs last month, Puca completes the Taylor line-up for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott and Donegal Racing. Jockey Joel Rosario, who won the 2013 Taylor aboard Tannery, is listed to ride the five-year-old Big Brown mare.

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woodbine/RaceTrackNewsPage.aspx?NewsId=3a65a931-504e-4085-b8d6-f853f9abec34

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stephen Levinson
(Login orioleboy)
UpInClass Member

Re: EP Taylor Stakes

October 13 2017, 9:08 AM 

I'm all over my gal Rainha da Bateria, who loves Woodbine!
Steve

bpiets
(Login bpiets)
UpInClass Member

October 13 2017, 10:18 AM 

'me' thinks the 6 & 7 will be the ones to beat...lol...got to check to see if they are nominated to any of the breeders cup races though...this may then just be a conditioner for them that is...lol..

afleet
(Login afleet)
UpInClass Member

October 13 2017, 2:29 PM 

Love Rainha here also. Think Nezwaah is best of the Euro's

afleet
(Login afleet)
UpInClass Member

October 13 2017, 8:14 PM 

'gooch
(Login frangooch)
UpInClass Member

October 13 2017, 9:38 PM 

I like Rain Goddess. Sucker for Galileos and the connex. With Raina and Quidara.

Wright Stuff
(Login WrightStuff)
Stewards

October 14 2017, 3:55 PM 

I'm taking a shot with the NY Bred Fourstar Crook to steal the race (pun intended) on Chad Brown's "other" horse. Javier Castellano is jetting to Canada for one mount.

Last year Castellano finished 4th at 17-1 on Chad's "other" horse, Guapaza.

TheBobtailnag
(Login Bobtailnag)
UpInClass Member

October 14 2017, 10:00 PM 

With Sassy Little Lila having all that early foot one could hope she influences Quidura to move a little faster (Which could influence the pressers to join in) to help 4Star Crook, who has all the speed, make an impressive late dash to the wire. This is a class test for 4Star but looking at her last 2 years (8/7-1-0) one could be easily encourage to think she can ace the test. Even if she comes up a little short 8/1 makes for a nice exotics cash. There are 3 others that also look like major threats Rain, more Raina and Newwash.

afleet
(Login afleet)
UpInClass Member

October 15 2017, 11:28 PM 

Did anyone predict Rainha Da Bateria would be leading this race? Seems extremely odd to me. Chad Browns other horse closed for 3rd.

This also happened w/Chad Brown entries in a race at Belmont when Antonoe was sent to the lead and Lady Eli won. Antonoe is a one run closer in my opinion. (I'm not saying she would beat Lady Eli, but she was extremely compromised being sent to press the pace; Castellano shook the reigns at her right from the start and may even of tapped her w/the whip, if memory serves me correctly).

Am I paranoid or does something seem fishy?

Stephen Levinson
(Login orioleboy)
UpInClass Member

October 16 2017, 10:40 AM 

I was screaming at the TV! I don't know WTF Leparoux was doing but I certainly wasn't happy about the fact that he put her on the lead.
Steve

Unusual Pete
(Login Unusual_Pete)
UpInClass Member

Raina & Antonoe

October 16 2017, 11:29 AM 

This weekends tries weren't the goals. The cup is the goal. Imitation is a form of flattery. Brown is taking a page from Mandelas handling of Johar. Closers who set the pace in the prep to enhance their kick in the go. Will be interesting to see if either pace was over par.

eye123
(Login eye123)
UpInClass Member

Re: Raina &amp; Antonoe

October 16 2017, 12:24 PM 

"This weekends tries weren't the goals. The cup is the goal. Imitation is a form of flattery. Brown is taking a page from Mandelas handling of Johar. Closers who set the pace in the prep to enhance their kick in the go. Will be interesting to see if either pace was over par."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

happy.gif

bpiets
(Login bpiets)
UpInClass Member

October 16 2017, 12:28 PM 

yup, some were in this race for the conditioner and to perhaps pick up a few extra feed bill / transport dollars....lol...

afleet
(Login afleet)
UpInClass Member

October 16 2017, 10:53 PM 

Pete,
You think Rainha is going to the BC?

Unusual Pete
(Login Unusual_Pete)
UpInClass Member

October 17 2017, 10:33 AM 

It's what I'm rooting for Afleet. Looking at the charts from the day, the course was tiring and if Brown had the forethought to pull a Mandela, Rhaina should get as much as possible out of the pace setting prep. BCFMT seems the obvious spot. We'll get value almost always.

bpiets
(Login bpiets)
UpInClass Member

October 17 2017, 10:40 AM 

a site known as DOWNTHESTREACH has some very direct links and has a lot of info via same on the breeders cup etc etc...for those interested...lol..very poor times for the graded stakes races on sunday at woodbine..way off track records...even a great many allowance horses would have beaten them....lol..

This message has been edited by bpiets on Oct 17, 2017 11:27 AM

afleet
(Login afleet)
UpInClass Member

October 17 2017, 6:26 PM 

Times don't matter they were running in a bog-variant was probably 50+

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return To Index