<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return To Index  

Ugly Work

October 11 2017 at 7:25 PM
Hooper  (Login 1hooper)
Stewards

Arrogate is not the same horse in my opinion. Juddmonte announced that The Breeders Cup Classic will be his last race. Only 50/50 he makes the race and the odds are climbing on him across the pond.
http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/arrogate-worked-5-furlongs-in-100-20-at-santa-anita-park-on-october-10th-2017/
Hooper

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Paseana
(Login Paseana)
Stewards

Re: Ugly Work

October 11 2017, 10:08 PM 

I agree, Hoop. That wasn't particularly pretty to watch. He didn't even catch his workmate before the wire while under some encouragement (who WAS the workmate, by the way....anybody know?).

I have had growing doubts over the last month or so that he was even going to be in the Classic. I've been warning folks that I encountered who were still high on him not to be surprised or disappointed if he doesn't run.

But then, this week, Bob kind of threw me a curve when he announced that Javi C has been named to ride West Coast in the Classic. Surely, West Coast would have been the horse that Smitty would have gravitated to if Arrogate was out. Granted, if you want to secure the services of Javier Castellano in the Breeders Cup Classic, you better not mess around with trying to cut the window of opportunity too close.

But the point is that maybe Bob and Mike still think that Arrogate is going to run, at least until this less-than-stellar workout yesterday.

The other thing that occurred to me is more of a situational irony. Even if Arrogate doesn't go, Baffert will still likely have three starters in the Breeders Cup Classic which has to be a first, and Mike Smith, the biggest money-race rider in the country, could end up sitting in the room!

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

October 12 2017, 8:46 AM 

He worked with Uninvited who broke his maiden in March for his only win. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=9498711&registry=T&rbt=TB
Hooper

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 15 2017, 8:35 AM 

Clearly not the same the same horse since those four consecutive races(Travers,Classic,Pegasus and Dubai World Cup)where he was as good or better than any I've seen in years.

That race in the desert where he overcame so much to run down Gun Runner put him over the top.
Not only was it an extraordinary effort but he was physically roughed up at the start of the race.

If he doesn't get it turned around in the next three weeks Baffert's best chance looks like West Coast who is peaking and gets 4 lbs.

Ozzy
(Login DOsborne)
UpInClass Member

October 15 2017, 8:40 PM 

He is an Unbridled"s Song after all so longevity was never to be expected in my opinion but what a tremendous 4 race run he had.

Ozzy
(Login DOsborne)
UpInClass Member

October 15 2017, 8:40 PM 

He is an Unbridled"s Song after all so longevity was never to be expected in my opinion but what a tremendous 4 race run he had.

Stephen Levinson
(Login orioleboy)
UpInClass Member

October 16 2017, 3:29 PM 

I think scratching him might be the best thing for the horse.
Steve

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 16 2017, 6:51 PM 

He looked better today compared to last week.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

October 16 2017, 7:08 PM 

Agree Big. Wish we could see all of the gallop out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPB-tXFjd8
Maybe on XBTV tomorrow.
Hooper

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 10:08 AM 

Arrogate starting to get in beast mode the last couple of mornings.
If there is some sort of physical issue with the horse his energy level would seem to contradict that.

Either he had a visit with the vet or he's just feeling better.
Dana Barnes needed a seat belt.

eye123
(Login eye123)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 10:16 AM 

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 10:47 AM 

He had another really good gallop this morning.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

October 22 2017, 2:05 PM 

What a difference from two weeks ago in the energy level. Big work coming up on Monday or Tuesday.
Any concerns about no works at Del Mar pre Classic?
Hooper

eye123
(Login eye123)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 2:35 PM 

Baffert keeps downplaying the surface and the horse, but it has to figure in on what price you're willing to take.

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 2:35 PM 

I really don't think the surface at Del Mar was his problem.
Clearly that horse was physically knocked out off those four races culminating in the World Cup.
Think he'd have been sluggish no matter where they ran him.

What could compromise him a little is the really short stretch at Del Mar.
Depends on his trip and how he gets out of the gate and what the other horses are doing but he appears ready to run an A+ race pending the next works and gallops leading up to the race.

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

October 22 2017, 7:31 PM 

Asmussen better work Gun Runner in the next day or two before he runs through the stall wall.
Today’s gallop. http://www.xbtv.com/video/bcclassic17/gun-runner-galloped-at-santa-anita-park-on-october-22nd-2017/
Hooper

eye123
(Login eye123)
UpInClass Member

October 22 2017, 9:16 PM 

Gunrunner

Looking for a 50 for 4 or minute for 5 tomorrow or Tues.......then a 1:12 for 6 next week......

big18741
(Login big18741)
UpInClass Member

October 23 2017, 8:51 AM 

Gun Runner hasn't missed a beat the entire year.
He's been managed perfectly this entire campaign.

Ran a new top on the graphs in his last which puts him at the same level with those four A+ races Arrogate ran.

The only knock I have on him was getting washy yesterday.
He was pretty wound up.

eye123
(Login eye123)
UpInClass Member

October 23 2017, 9:58 AM 

Gunrunner just worked, looked incredible along side Gettysburg(Arrogate look alike?) ..... everything you would want to see.

6 in 1:11.4

This message has been edited by eye123 on Oct 23, 2017 10:00 AM

Hooper
(Login 1hooper)
Stewards

Works

October 23 2017, 1:49 PM 

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return To Index