Return to Forum  

Thanks

February 5 2006 at 9:12 PM
Nuyt 

Response to Imaginary Dutch arms production and the Swedish example

And sorry for my late reaction, I was abroad.

That's an impressive listing. Well, like you suggest the Dutch could have achieved similar results...Amazing the Swedes still were able to buy Czech Bren guns (5000 pieces)!
Considering this I think Dutch armament as well as KNIL's would have continued if the country had stayed neutral.
The scenario would complicate however, if things in the Far East would turn nasty. Would Imperial Japan strike at a neutral Dutch East Indies sooner or later? Would the Dutch Indies be ready to sell more oil etc. to Japan, now they could not align themselves openly to the Allies and the US during 1941? During the negotiations with Japan the Dutch might have taken a much less tougher stand than in reality. A confrontation with Japan should be avoided at all cost with Nazi-Germany watching next door in Europe...An attack by Japan would push the Dutch over to the allies.
On the other hand, if Japan would be satisfied with NEI oil deliveries and exploitation rights (joint ventures), might that have postponed war in the Pacific or not? And would the allies have let this happen (selling out oil to Japan)?

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement