Return to Forum  

Error in my previous post on this subject

August 27 2006 at 7:49 PM
Bob Lamoreaux 

Response to Johnson Automatics/NPC contract for M-S rifles, etc.

I was erroneous in my reference to the Dutch company fabricating a "war scare". Should have been posted under the H.I.H. thread. Here is an extract from the September 17, 1934 New York Times, p. 18, "Senators To Speed Munitions Inquiry":
[In reference to a report made by Col. W.N.Taylor, Euroean agent for the du Pont corporation to K.K.V. Casey, retail sales manager]
"About a year ago," he wrote, "there was a great newspaper excitement in France over the 1,500 half-finished guns in Holland in the possession of H.I.H. (Dutch armament firm), which, the French newspapers claimed, was a secret stock of heavy guns held in Holland by the Germans.
"The result of this caused the French to buy the most important pieces. It turned out that this whole French newspaper row was originated by Viessing & Haegen (armament firm) in order to sell this stock, and that it was a vast publicity farce which the French newspapers fell for due to their desire for anti-German news.
"Viessing said that they managed this whole publicity affair without having to pay a cent to the newspapers. Viessing and Haegen are extremely proud of this feat, and discussed with me in great detail how they got the French press excited on this matter by constantly denying that they knew anything about it and making it all very mysterious, and leaving the journalistic spirit to do the rest."

Still holds true in this day and age. . .

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement