Return to Forum  

Swiss AAC guns

December 20 2011 at 7:44 PM
Lamoreaux 

Response to AAC Gun

I have a photo copy of an old AAC catalog that does not, unfortunately, have a photo of the AAC anti-tank gun. There was an AAC A-T gun on You-Tube last year. Not sure if it is still there or not. Unfortunately, it is sort of a movie, and I could not "capture" it. I believe it came from the AAC facility (ammo loading) in Derry, PA. (NOT Derry Township, home of Hershey Chocolate, by the way). I haven't seen any multi-gun mounts for the AAC cannon and it is possible that the mount was "locally" fabricated in Switzerland. I can't believe that the Swiss, with their armament works, would resort to a "foreign" gun.

I believe that the AAC "system" was based on the Poole gun as there is an indication that a number of parts for this weapon were available in the UK between the wars and a surplus dealer was trying to sell them to AAC.

While I have the utmost respect for the late Col. George M. Chinn and his monumental work on the history of automatic weapons, he took a very prejudiced view of AAC weaponry that may not have been justified. Further, he failed to make mention or significant note of the AAC anti-tank or anti-aircraft guns -- really the guns mounted on the M-H tanks and on the patrol boats depicted in this forum. I am a little prejudiced on this subject as my research indicates that AAC and the Mirandas were not the con-artists that history has shown them to be. Note the Miranda's involvemnet (along with their European sales agen - Paul Koster) in supplying the British/French with a Lockheed Electra for very early aerial photo recon work by Sidney Frederick Cotton (or is it Frederick Sidney?). Also, I suspect that the Aircobra was evolved from a Miranda/Seversky project. . .

Respond to this message   
Responses

• AAC - Lee Unterborn on Dec 21, 2011
  •  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement