Return to Forum  

paraguay guns

November 29 2014 at 7:01 PM
bram risseeuw 

Response to Paraguay guns

After years of searching I think I found this naval gun.
I think it's a 3 pdr (47 mm) naval gun. The Paraguay navy had two 47/40 mm guns but they were saying it were Bofors guns, which I think is wrong. The problem is there are two types of 47 mm naval guns. Vickers produced 600 during the period 1905-1930 but they are 47 mm cal 50. Hotchkiss 47 mm were cal.40. The New Zealand navy used 3 pdr guns even after WW2 on their six modern Loch class frigates and they say theirs are Hotchkiss.
A photo of the one in the New Zealand navy museum is on the internet.
Same type of left side breech.
If they are Hotchkiss guns they must be late production examples as the early ones are much different. For me the Paraguayan as well as the New Zealand guns look more like the Vickers made guns.
Where the Paraguayans guns are coming from I don't know but four 3 pdr guns were delivered in 1937 to Argentine on the British built cruiser LA ARGENTINA as saluting guns. The 2 Paraguayan guns were during the 60ties reported as saluting guns aboard the BOQUERON! So maybe they were former Argentine guns.

Also I discovered a Paraguayan photo of a 40/40 mm (2 pdr) Vickers gun same type as the ones used by the Dutch Navy on the last 4 of the Van Galen class destroyers. The Argentine navy had two 2 pdr each aboard their 1928 British built Mendoza class destroyers. Maybe this is former Argentine navy as well as it is for sure not one of the four Vickers/Terni 40/39 mm delivered aboard the two Paraguayan gunboats in 1930.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement