<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Persian Chariots

March 27 2005 at 1:48 PM
Nuyt 

Here's a picture from Nadir (posted on the Axishistory forums) showing some Persian armour outside a military museum in Teheran:
First in line a Czech light tank, behind in the distance to the left a Bofors 75mm mountain gun!

Enjoy,
Nuyt

This message has been edited by nuyt on Feb 26, 2007 9:18 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Erik Ahlström

LT 40

April 6 2005, 9:26 PM 

The tanks are LT 40, but I dont have a clue what kind of gun they have used to upgun the first one.

Erik
Sweden

Respond to this message   
Erik Ahlström

Well, actually.....

April 6 2005, 9:33 PM 

its a TNH wich is nearly the same as LT 40 but not quite.
After examining the "gun" and its mount and comparing to other photos its clear that they have turned the turret a bit and mounted what I think is a "dummy" gun in the turretmachineguns ballmount.

Erik
Sweden

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Persian TNH factory pics

May 1 2005, 5:22 PM 

Some pictures of Persian Praga TNH in the factory yard in 1936 shortly before their delivery to Iran, scanned from the book 'Praga" near MBI edition. Sent by Patrice, Liège Belgium.

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Marmon-Herrington Armoured cars Persia

April 21 2005, 9:18 PM 

In the mid 1930s the Marmon-Herrington company designed and built on the request of the Persian Army these 12 armoured cars fitted with a Landsverk type turret and Bofors 37mm gun. Yhis ad can be found on:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marmon-Herrington

Enjoy,
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

side shot of Persian M-H armoured car

April 24 2005, 8:32 PM 

from M-H brochure 1934 (12 were delivered):

Enjoy,
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Another Persian Czech-built tank

April 21 2005, 9:28 PM 

From the tanks! website, the caption says its a AHVI.
What's that machinegun, some ZB type, from Czechoslovakia as well?

This message has been edited by nuyt on Apr 21, 2005 9:30 PM

Respond to this message   
Erik Ahlström

Persian tanks

April 22 2005, 11:02 PM 

No its not a Praga AH-VI, not even a AH-IV, its the same as on the other photos, a Praga TNH. According to the polish booklet Militaria 116 Persia bought 26 of these (other users were Peru, Switzerland and Slovakia). Persia also bought 48 Praga AH-IV (other users were Sweden, Rumania and Ethiopia).

Erik
Sweden

This message has been edited by nuyt on Aug 26, 2006 3:35 PM

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Ethiopia?

April 23 2005, 9:36 AM 

Wow, thanks for that, did not know!
Did they use them during the invasion by the Italians?
Greetings,
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
Erik Ahlström

Ethiopia

April 23 2005, 10:49 AM 

No, They bought them after WW II!!! In 1948 Ethiopia bought 20 AH-IV-Hb. This is most intertesting when one consider the huge amount of cheap AFVs for sale after WW II. One reason for Ethiopia buying these "tankettes" may have been their close ties with Sweden and since we used the AH-IV Sthis may have helped....

Erik
Sweden

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Ethiopia-Sweden

April 23 2005, 11:27 AM 

Thanks, that may also explain the arming of the Ethiopian UN unit to Katanga with Swedish built Unimog-Landsverk armoured cars!
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Persian Scout Cars

April 30 2005, 5:09 PM 

I believe it was called the A7, built in 1934. Does anyone know how many were built/delivered?

Enjoy (pic from M-H brochure)
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Persian Marmon-Herrington trucks and tractors

April 30 2005, 5:11 PM 

This batch of heavy cargo trucks/artillery tractors were built in 1934 and delivered in 1935. Looks like 24 trucks in this pic.
Does anybody know if this was the total order?
And what guns were these supposed to tow?

Respond to this message   
Dave Haugh

Persian Marmon-Herrington trucks

December 11 2006, 8:50 PM 

Below is what I believe to be a Marmon-Herrington 6x6 ammunition truck (perhaps one of the TH310 series) in service with Iran circa 1940. Unfortunately I don't have any data/information to go with the photo.

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Re: Persian Marmon-Herrington trucks

December 11 2006, 8:55 PM 

Hi Dave, I reposted your message to this thread to keep everything in one place.
Vanderveen mentions the trucks I think in his pre-1940 directory, showing a picture of the A30 trucks in my earlier post.
"Other Marmon-Herrington 6x6 trucks for Iran included heavy DSD400-6 and DSD800-6 artillery tractors, etc., delivered in 1940."
No further data.

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

Meanwhile at the Teheran Museum

May 27 2007, 6:53 PM 

Respond to this message   
Bill

MH stuff

April 30 2005, 11:56 PM 

Nuyat:

According to the actual MH brochure, only one A& was built as a prototype. I cannot verify that anywhers else.

According to Bart Vanderveen, "some" 30 of the A30-6 cargo/gun-tractor vehicles were delivered to Iran. Based on the size of the vehicles, I cannot think the towed artillery would be less than 100mm and maybe they were supplied with ex-US 155mm weapons.

Seems that for the moment this whole question of materiel supplied to Persia/Iran is a bit of a puzzle. Not a lot of hard information out there, although I have not searched that much either so maybe it is there.
Bill

Respond to this message   
George Smithson

Harington tractors

August 23 2005, 8:52 AM 

Did some research on the Persians a while back.

Harington tractors were 15-cwt, 4x2 trucks. Iran used these to carry their motorized infantry and tow artillery in their Mechanized Brigade.

This message has been edited by nuyt on Aug 26, 2006 3:36 PM

Respond to this message   
Nuyt

pictures?

August 27 2005, 11:53 AM 

Thanks George, do you have any pictures of these trucks?
Kind regards,
Nuyt

Respond to this message   
mark cornwell

persian chariots

July 2 2005, 11:53 AM 

simple question, are ther any other photos of these tanks at the museum from other angles? there are two in the above photo' and what about the 50 or so smaller tankettes? any info.

regards Mark

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement