<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Paraguay guns

September 11 2011 at 1:20 PM
nuyt 

Sent by Bram, thanks man and good to hear from you again!
First probably a Vickers AA gun?
[linked image]
But what is that second gun?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
nuyt

Venezuela?

September 11 2011, 3:38 PM 

Bra, could the last one be a refurbished Venezuelan St Chamond 80mm Mountain mortar (with new shield/wheels)?
[linked image]

This message has been edited by nuyt on Sep 11, 2011 3:39 PM

Respond to this message   
nuyt

AA gun

September 11 2011, 3:59 PM 

I agree with you it's probably Vickers, though I cant find a matching image at the Vickers photo archives. It appears related however to the 3 inch naval AA developed for the Greek (?) govt....
Anyway the sliding wedge breechblock makes it stand out as as export model.

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

st.chamond?

September 11 2011, 8:38 PM 

Nuyt, I looked at the St.Chamond 70 mm, not the 80 mm, and did see some resemblance to the gun on the photo, but was not sure. Venezuela had 8 St.Chamond 70 mm howitzers. I now have the idea the photo was taken in Venezuela and not in Paraguay. Maybe the photo was taken by a Paraguayan soldier in Venezuela, there are also the words Simon Boli(var) on the building, so it's more likely Venezuela.
For photos St.Chamond 70 mm howitzer see: www.lovettartillery.com
So either a St.Chamond 70 mm howitzer or 80 mm mortar?
I go for the 70 mm, with pneumatic tyres and a new shield, of the Venezuelan Army and nothing to do with Paraguay (except for the soldier).

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

Venezuela?

September 11 2011, 8:56 PM 

From other photos I've seen I can confirm the photo was taken in Venezuela and the building is the Academia Militar de Venezuela.
Nuyt thanks for your help, your Venezuela? got me on the right track.

Respond to this message   
nuyt

St Chamond

September 11 2011, 10:29 PM 

Here is the link to the Lovett 70mm one
http://www.lovettartillery.com/70mm_St_Chamond_Mountain_Howitzer.html

According to Kosar both the 70mm and the 80mm were delivered to Ven.

Respond to this message   
nuyt

Argentina?

September 11 2011, 10:37 PM 

Now the naval gun, could it be Argentina?

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

argentina?

September 11 2011, 11:13 PM 

No it's in Paraguay, the Paraguayan Infanteria de Marina have still 2 3" Vickers, I think this is one of them.
Received 25 shells 76/50 mm from the Brazilian navy in 2002.
A total of 14 Vickers guns were acquired, different types, 10 in 1907 incl. mod.1887 and/or 1898 and 4 in Chile during 1922 on pedestals.
During the Chaco War 3 were used on ships, the others as field and coastal guns.

Respond to this message   
nuyt

Dimabel guns

October 19 2011, 6:20 PM 

Bram:
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
bram riseeuw

dimabel guns

October 27 2011, 11:36 AM 

The Paraguayan navy had 2 57 mm Hotchkiss, 2 47 mm L40 and 2 63.5 mm (2 1/2 in) Armstrong guns. Any resemblance?

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

paraguay guns

February 18 2012, 11:08 AM 

The AA gun on the first photo can be found at the front of the main building of the Academia Militar (ACADEMIL) at Capiata (east of Asuncion), together with a Stuart tank and a North American T-6.
Is there a volunteer to read what's written on the gun?

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

dimabel guns

December 10 2014, 1:37 PM 

Note near the dimabel 57 mm guns:
Canon Naval
Hotchkiss - Newcastle
Calibre 57 mm
Modelo 1907
Procedencia China

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

paraguay guns

November 29 2014, 7:01 PM 

After years of searching I think I found this naval gun.
I think it's a 3 pdr (47 mm) naval gun. The Paraguay navy had two 47/40 mm guns but they were saying it were Bofors guns, which I think is wrong. The problem is there are two types of 47 mm naval guns. Vickers produced 600 during the period 1905-1930 but they are 47 mm cal 50. Hotchkiss 47 mm were cal.40. The New Zealand navy used 3 pdr guns even after WW2 on their six modern Loch class frigates and they say theirs are Hotchkiss.
A photo of the one in the New Zealand navy museum is on the internet.
Same type of left side breech.
If they are Hotchkiss guns they must be late production examples as the early ones are much different. For me the Paraguayan as well as the New Zealand guns look more like the Vickers made guns.
Where the Paraguayans guns are coming from I don't know but four 3 pdr guns were delivered in 1937 to Argentine on the British built cruiser LA ARGENTINA as saluting guns. The 2 Paraguayan guns were during the 60ties reported as saluting guns aboard the BOQUERON! So maybe they were former Argentine guns.

Also I discovered a Paraguayan photo of a 40/40 mm (2 pdr) Vickers gun same type as the ones used by the Dutch Navy on the last 4 of the Van Galen class destroyers. The Argentine navy had two 2 pdr each aboard their 1928 British built Mendoza class destroyers. Maybe this is former Argentine navy as well as it is for sure not one of the four Vickers/Terni 40/39 mm delivered aboard the two Paraguayan gunboats in 1930.

Respond to this message   
bram risseeuw

paraguay guns

March 31 2016, 6:52 PM 

At last I found the origin, etc. of the gun on the first photo of this topic.
It's one of two Hotchkiss 47/40 mm saluting guns transferred by the Argenine Navy to the Paraguayan Colegio Militar (Agrupacion Naval) in 1976, Ley no.21.441 1-10-1976.

Respond to this message   
nuyt

thanks, some more guns

April 3 2016, 10:21 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement